News Reimagined Toontown coming

Dr.Cheeto

It would be amazing if they expanded Toontown from the cave near the rollercoaster, where the Galaxy's Edge expansion or Fantasyland theater is. Imagine an indoor land (like Diagon Alley) themed to black and white cartoons from the 20's. Skeleton Dance skeletons, Oswald, etc. Or they could all be showcased in a black and white dark ride. If new Toontown is going for a more "chill" aesthetic, something more wacky and CARTOONY would be a good compliment. Well anyways, forget I said anything because this will never happen.

mickEblu

Saw Toontown 2.0 yesterday and I honestly think most of it looks better in person than it did in the videos. Even the sad Dreaming Tree and its roots aren't so sad. It'll grow and be a nice looking tree in the next few years. Even if I think they should have went with a more grandiose artificial tree there. It was cool taking my kids to see it as I can remember my excitement when Toontown 1.0 opened. Those commercials they kept running in 92/93 with the cartoon sun flying around Disneyland had me amped for the first new land that would open at Disneyland during my lifetime. Toontown 1.0 definitely had a more streamlined, simpler design but overall I think 2.0 is more functional. Definitely more functional than the Toontown that closed last year but also more functional than the original land that opened in 93.

They did a great job with Goofys yard and Donalds boat. The views from that elevated platform at the back of Goofys yard are beautiful. Also as a berm/ planter enthusiast, love how close you are that berm between Goofys yard and the FL theatre. All the little details like the chalk drawings on the ground around the yard are great. It's funny seeing my 7 year old son who has been on all the best rides in So Cal losing his mind for a few slides and a little playground. But kids love playgrounds and new things. I think they did a really nice job of utilizing space while at the same time improving most of the land aesthetically. For all that's been said about the astroturf, I witnessed one of the coolest character interactions I've ever seen when Donald was sitting on the turf in front of Mickeys house with like 15 little kids in a circle including my son. They were playing Duck Duck Goose and Donald picked my son. It was cool to see all the kids loving it. I despise astroturf anywhere else in Disneyland but due to the more "artificial" nature of Toontown it doesn't really bother me there and I welcome the color green.

I didn't really have any attachment to the old fountains but love the new central fountain. It’s colorful, vibrant and the way the water flows down provides nice energy. It kind of functions as a splash pad lite for little ones. Everything just feels so lively. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack even though it may need to be turned down just a bit. The soundtrack just feels so much more present than the old one. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. My nephew rode Gadget's Go Coaster for the first time which is looking nice and spiffy as is the rest of the land. Just nice seeing a theme park land in its ideal state because we all know 1/3 of the stuff will be looking worn out or not working pretty soon. Didn't do Roger or Mickey n Minnies houses. I'll have to check those out next time.

MMRR and these new additions have changed my perception of Toontown. It's doesn't feel like that sad little land at the back of the park that I would go to occasionally for a short period of time. Now maybe when the buzz dies down it'll go back to feeling a little bit like that but id imagine MMRR will stop that from happening. Up until yesterday I don't think a bite of food had ever entered my mouth in that land. Tried a few things from Cafe Daisy. All the drinks were bad to mediocre. The house-made donuts and chips were good. Corn Dog bites with chili dip were good too. Everything I tried was fine but nothing id really crave or go out of my way for. Overall, Toontown feels like a legitimate land to me now. Not only did they add an E ticket but also a bunch of playgrounds/ splash pads/ interactive features in addition to a few rest areas… when strollers aren’t clogging them up. I'm glad things turned out the way they did and that it was sparred.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Saw Toontown 2.0 yesterday and I honestly think most of it looks better in person than it did in the videos. Even the sad Dreaming Tree and its roots aren't so sad. It'll grow and be a nice looking tree in the next few years. Even if I think they should have went with a more grandiose artificial tree there. It was cool taking my kids to see it as I can remember my excitement when Toontown 1.0 opened. Those commercials they kept running in 92/93 with the cartoon sun flying around Disneyland had me amped for the first new land that would open at Disneyland during my lifetime. Toontown 1.0 definitely had a more streamlined, simpler design but overall I think 2.0 is more functional. Definitely more functional than the Toontown that closed last year but also more functional than the original land that opened in 93.

They did a great job with Goofys yard and Donalds boat. The views from that elevated platform at the back of Goofys yard are beautiful. Also as a berm/ planter enthusiast, love how close you are that berm between Goofys yard and the FL theatre. All the little details like the chalk drawings on the ground around the yard are great. It's funny seeing my 7 year old son who has been on all the best rides in So Cal losing his mind for a few slides and a little playground. But kids love playgrounds and new things. I think they did a really nice job of utilizing space while at the same time improving most of the land aesthetically. For all that's been said about the astroturf, I witnessed one of the coolest character interactions I've ever seen when Donald was sitting on the turf in front of Mickeys house with like 15 little kids in a circle including my son. They were playing Duck Duck Goose and Donald picked my son. It was cool to see all the kids loving it. I despise astroturf anywhere else in Disneyland but due to the more "artificial" nature of Toontown it doesn't really bother me there and I welcome the color green.

I didn't really have any attachment to the old fountains but love the new central fountain. It’s colorful, vibrant and the way the water flows down provides nice energy. It kind of functions as a splash pad lite for little ones. Everything just feels so lively. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack even though it may need to be turned down just a bit. The soundtrack just feels so much more present than the old one. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. My nephew rode Gadget's Go Coaster for the first time which is looking nice and spiffy as is the rest of the land. Just nice seeing a theme park land in its ideal state because we all know 1/3 of the stuff will be looking worn out or not working pretty soon. Didn't do Roger or Mickey n Minnies houses. I'll have to check those out next time.

MMRR and these new additions have changed my perception of Toontown. It's doesn't feel like sad little land at the back of the park that I would go to occasionally for a short period of time. Now maybe when the buzz dies down it'll go back to feeling a little bit like that but id imagine MMRR will stop that from happening. Up until yesterday I don't think a bite of food had ever entered my mouth in that land. Tried a few things from Cafe Daisy. All the drinks were bad to mediocre. The house-made donuts and chips were good. Corn Dog bites with chili dip were good too. Everything I tried was fine but nothing id really crave or go out of my way for. Overall, Toontown feels like a legitimate land to me now. Not only did they add an E ticket but also a bunch of playgrounds/ splash pads/ interactive features in addition to a few rest areas… when strollers aren’t clogging them up. I'm glad things turned out the way they did and that it was sparred.

Sounds like this refresh is about as good as one could possibly want from Disneyland. Which is refreshing after Galaxy's Edge and Avengers Land.

Still sounds like it's primarily for kids- except for MMRR and RRCS, which is great, just doesn't really mean much for those who visit without children.

Old Toontown was often faded, as the bright paint didn't do well in the sun- did the new facades look like they tried to address this?

mickEblu

Sounds like this refresh is about as good as one could possibly want from Disneyland. Which is refreshing after Galaxy's Edge and Avengers Land.

Still sounds like it's primarily for kids- except for MMRR and RRCS, which is great, just doesn't really mean much for those who visit without children.

Old Toontown was often faded, as the bright paint didn't do well in the sun- did the new facades look like they tried to address this?

Yes, the whole land was repainted and is looking very nice!

Well, if Toontown stays as crowded as it’s been that should relieve some pressure off the rest of the park but more specifically off Fantasyland. So that’s something anyone can appreciate.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Not only were the facades all repainted, but given different color schemes. For example:

Old:

1679961931680.png

New:

1679961993646.png

There's better examples, but I'm too lazy to peruse through all the YT videos.

mickEblu

Thinking about it, it's strange to me that Toontown got refreshed before Tomorrowland. But it's reassuring to see them revamp Toontown and do a decent job of it- gives me hope that they won't butcher Tomorrowland when the time comes.

Gives me some hope as well but stakes and expectations will be much higher for Tomorrowland. Toontown is the “little kiddie land outside of the berm.” Tomorrowland is an original land inside the berm and it borders a good portion of the park. You have some real high stakes especially when it comes to the Subs/ Autopia/ Matterhorn area.

MarvelCharacterNerd

It was a shoulder-to-shoulder packed madhouse when I went. Not enough seating for the new Cafe and the whole place suddenly felt claustrophobic from all the people. The grass carpet will get thrashed quickly from all the people tromping around on it and people have apparently caused damage on both the play locations and in the MMRR queue already. :(

That said, visually the land is a definite improvement as was opening up the walkway a bit more (which is now taken up by lines for food but oh well).

Thumbs up on the pizza flopover from Daisy's but skip the hot dog with toppings. Looking forward to trying more on the menu though!

Sharon&Susan

And yet they do have some (though nowhere near all) of the old shorts, including the Silly Symphonies, streaming on Disney Plus. I suppose we should be grateful that they have anything of the sort at all.

Plus, they supposedly have released (or will be releasing) some of their shorts on Blu-Ray as part of the 100th anniversary:
ee0afd95-4de2-423e-a5ed-3d8b90f1442e.c6dfd64cd2d51f165b3ce8e80082acbb.png

332620_front.jpg

Again, I guess we should count our blessings. It's certainly better than them erasing their history at all.

And with Bob Chapek gone, maybe, just maybe, things will turn around again. How hard can it be to change a music loop, especially if the tracks already exist?

Why is Disney expecting people to pay $15 a piece for a 10 short collection that use old remasters? That new Looney Tunes collection coming out in May with 20 shorts for $20 without any double dips already looks a lot more exciting.

mharrington

Why is Disney expecting people to pay $15 a piece for a 10 short collection that use old remasters? That new Looney Tunes collection coming out in May with 20 shorts for $20 without any double dips already looks a lot more exciting.
Once again, I think we should be grateful that Disney still has anything to do with the old shorts at all.

TP2000

Not only were the facades all repainted, but given different color schemes. For example:

Old:

View attachment 706808

New:

View attachment 706810

There's better examples, but I'm too lazy to peruse through all the YT videos.

I love this kind of stuff, don't get me wrong.

But let's not pretend that the average Disneyland visitor is ever going to notice that the window trim on the fake Toontown Post Office changed from it's 1993 cream trim to a 2023 teal trim.

And this only reinforces my point; Mickey's Toontown is still there, still largely as it has been since 1993, except now it has an E Ticket ride where a gift shop used to be, and the rest of the land got a full repaint and a few thousand square feet of AstroTurf.

And in 2025, that paint is going to fade quite a bit. And then it will be repainted in 2026. And in 2029. And in 2032. Rinse, repeat.

Sharon&Susan

Because people will pay? 🤷‍♂️
All I can say is that I would've been interested in these if there were either more shorts included per volume or these shorts got a nice new remaster like the Cinderella 4k that's coming out later this year. As is I already have like 9 of these shorts on that Celebrating Mickey blu-ray they released a couple years back and I'm not interested in paying to upgrade the other 11 from the DVDs I bought over a decade ago for $30.

But I'm sure plenty of collectors with more money and shelf space than I are buying these collections in the vain hope that buying this will result in Disney releasing more of their movies on physical media. And I guess the kids who have babysitters in the form of DVD players instead of streaming services will have a nice 70 minutes of entertainment as well.

SplashJacket

let's not pretend that the average Disneyland visitor is ever going to notice that the window trim on the fake Toontown Post Office changed from it's 1993 cream trim to a 2023 teal trim.
It’s not meant to be noticed. It’s meant to just look better.

Good design usually goes unnoticed, in Toontown, the design is meant to be noticed, while also immersing you into the world of Toontown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom