News Reimagined Toontown coming

mickEblu

If Disney took “cast member” as “seriously” as Hollywood does and kept things 100% thematically and historically accurate, black and other CMs of color would be restricted to bussing tables and cooking all the food. They would also require CMs to throw in some accents, but they don’t.

It’s not THAT serious.

Oh cmon we re talking about outfits, hair, makeup etc. Nobody is asking for things to be that historically accurate.

Californian Elitist

Oh cmon we re talking about outfits, hair, makeup etc. Nobody is asking for things to be that historically accurate.
You mentioned you didn’t feel like you were in the 1920s. How could I not assume that you want things historically accurate with that statement? Let’s keep it consistent, no? To really sell the 1920s, CMs should be required to have authentic 1920s hair, wear authentic 1920s clothing, and make sure the brown folks stay in the back, away from view.

Why not?

mickEblu

You mentioned you didn’t feel like you were in the 1920s. How could I not assume that you want things historically accurate with that statement? Let’s keep it consistent, no? To really sell the 1920s, CMs should be required to have authentic 1920s hair, wear authentic 1920s clothing, and make sure the brown folks stay in the back, away from view.

Why not?

Lol, you crazy.

mickEblu

We have to remember that at a certain point our connections are stronger to the place Disneyland than the places Disneyland is representing. None of us have any connections of turn of the century Main Street. Our connection is with the Disneyland we grew up with and it’s reasonable for us to want it to stay the way we remember fondly.

Consumer

That’s not discrimination.
Nobody is saying to not hire certain cast members due to ethnicity, age, sex, or disabilities, but we are saying there should be standards for presentation and behavior. That falls into the second definition of discrimination, which is the one I am using.
1679682075321.png

el_super

Designed fo punish? Please elaborate.

It's pretty straightforward. People who came from certain backrounds or cultures were essentially forced to work in backstage roles, or areas where they wouldn't be seen. If you insisted on wearing a hijab or a turban, you weren't allowed on-stage.

So asking that one shaves or not hiring people with visible tattoos is harsh?

Yes. What if having a beard is part of a religious belief that is an integral part of a person's culture? Is it acceptable to ask that they abandon their religious or cultural beliefs if they want to work the Teacups?

People still cast movies, shows, etc. based on race or gender.

Less and less now thankfully.

Just another example of Disneyland/ themed entertainment taking a step backwards. Is it ruining my time? No. Do I think things were better before? Yes.

Do you think things were better when women we not allowed to be Jungle Cruise skippers?

The line of what is acceptable moved. It has always been moving and Disneyland has always kept up with where the line was. It honestly takes them a little longer to move than other groups and companies, but standing still just isn't an option.

Californian Elitist

Nobody is saying to not hire certain cast members due to ethnicity, age, sex, or disabilities, but we are saying there should be standards for presentation and behavior. That falls into the second definition of discrimination, which is the one I am using.
View attachment 705861
Okay. You responded to someone using the first definition, and didn’t differentiate, hence my response.

mickEblu

It's pretty straightforward. People who came from certain backrounds or cultures were essentially forced to work in backstage roles, or areas where they wouldn't be seen. If you insisted on wearing a hijab or a turban, you weren't allowed on-stage.

So are you talking about how they would cast Polynesian or Native American people for roles in Adventureland/ Frontierland or are you saying that a Black person couldn’t be a popcorn vendor on Main Street? I have no problem with the former.

Yes. What if having a beard is part of a religious belief that is an integral part of a person's culture? Is it acceptable to ask that they abandon their religious or cultural beliefs if they want to work the Teacups?

I would say to find somewhere to work that doesn’t conflict with your religious beliefs.

Less and less now thankfully.

So how does this work exactly? If the script calls for a Black male, how do you not cast a Black male?

Do you think things were better when women we not allowed to be Jungle Cruise skippers?

The line of what is acceptable moved. It has always been moving and Disneyland has always kept up with where the line was. It honestly takes them a little longer to move than other groups and companies, but standing still just isn't an option.

The important part you are leaving out is that men weren’t allowed to be Storybookland skippers either. More importantly, I’m sure 99.9% of them had no issues with it. But I guess you can sit here 70 years later and judge if you want to.

Consumer

Okay. You responded to someone using the first definition, and didn’t differentiate, hence my response.
Understandable, and honestly expected, but my point was really just to correct @el_super, who is accusing others of racism and xenophobia for simply wanting employees to look well groomed and put together. Frankly, I'm more disturbed by his sentiment that only white people are capable of being qualified to work at Disneyland. Black people and other minority groups are equally capable of being respectful, neat, and pleasant. His premise relies on the opposite being true; that being rude, filthy, and disheveled are part of black culture. I take objection to those claims from el_super.

mickEblu

Frankly, I'm more disturbed by his sentiment that only white people are capable of being qualified to work at Disneyland. Black people and other minority groups are equally capable of being respectful, neat, and pleasant.

I think what people like this are trying to imply is “who are you to tell me what the definition of respectful, neat, and pleasant is?” Everything is arbitrary and subjective remember. So in 5 years when a CM wants to come to work without having showered in 2 weeks they ll be able to claim that it conflicts with their religious beliefs. They believe that any sort of law or set of rules still only benefit or are dictated by the White, straight man.

Consumer

I think what people like this are trying to imply is “who are you to tell me what the definition of respectful, neat, and pleasant is?” Everything is arbitrary and subjective remember. So in 5 years when a CM wants to come to work without having showered in 2 weeks they ll be able to claim that it conflicts with their religious beliefs.
Exactly. Well groomed, respectful, put together, etc. are not high demands. And to be completely honest, if somebody's religion requires them to be jerks who only care about themselves, then their religion sucks and I have no problem discriminating against them.

Being a cast member is a job. I have to dress in slacks and a button down for my job. Others have to wear a giant corndog costume for their job. Dress codes and presentation are part of having any respectable job.

mickEblu

I will only be happy if people born in the 1920's are working in those settings. MAKE IT HAPPEN DISNEY! Time travel back, bring them to the future.

So are you bothered by the way I think? So everyone needs to think exactly like you or they are fools stuck in the past right? Did I say that I treated the CM with any disrespect? Did I say I did not leave him a nice tip? Seems like the side always “fighting for more rights” is the most narrow minded.

Disney Analyst

So are you bothered by the way I think? So everyone needs to think exactly like you or they are fools stuck in the past right? Did I say that I treated the CM with any disrespect? Did I say I did not leave him a nice tip? Seems like the side always “fighting for more rights” is the most narrow minded.

I was just making a joke, I haven't read the conversation.

But for real, Disney, make it happen. 1920s PEOPLE OR BUST

DrAlice

So, 2 days ago I wrote this:
Those costumes are terrible. When I see a cast member in the crowd, my immediate thought is "woah.. what's that guy wearing?". Only after staring for a few seconds do I realize it is a cast member. I'm not sure what they were going for with those outfits, but I doubt it was that.

I'm not sure how that silly opinion started a crazy SIX PAGE argument. 🤣

Anyhoo... let me clarify what I meant. As I'm not a fashion designer or imagineer, I have NO IDEA what the costumes for ToonTown SHOULD look like. However, as an infrequent guest, my initial response to those costumes was to NOT NOTICE THAT THEY WERE COSTUMES. That's what makes them fail, IMO. If people have trouble immediately and obviously picking out who the cast members are, that's an issue, and that's why I said what I said.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just because I've only seen them via video. 🤷‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom