News Reimagined Toontown coming

Vegas Disney Fan

The opening ceremony for the press this morning was really cute, the mayor was funny (if maybe over caffeinated) but it felt perfect for Toontown.

Not sure if it’s just the way it was filmed but the land feels smaller, I’ll miss the fountain but all the grassy areas for kids to play in seems like a better use of space though.

Love the bright CM costumes also. Very fitting for the area.

Last edited:

mharrington

Is there a chance we could see Tokyo's Toontown being similarly updated, minus the Mickey ride (since there's no room for it) or the changes made to Goofy's house? I could be mistaken, but I believe Donald's Boat and Chip 'n' Dale's treehouse were similar neutered by safety laws, unless safety laws are different in Japan than in the U.S.?

I also find it interesting that they would try to retain, albeit in a diminished form (or maybe a larger form), the "Rescue Rangers" theme for the roller coaster. I would think by now most people would have forgotten about the show. In the book "Mouse Under Glass" by David Koenig, Tony Baxter is quoted as saying, "Divisions have to promote each other. So Disney Afternoon Live and Gadget's Go Coaster were to please that division. Unfortunately, as soon as the shows are off the air, no one may remember them. In fact, Chip and Dale (Nut House) [sic] aren't there for the cartoons you and I know them for - they're only for 'Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers."

Then again, I believe "Rescue Rangers", like many of the Disney Afternoon shows, can be found on Disney Plus (to say nothing of the "Roger Rabbit"-style movie), so...

And now I really want to see a music loop (a list at least) of the songs featured here, because I believe they still have the music from when the Mickey ride opened (which is to say, it's totally different from before it closed).

Last edited:

brb1006

The opening ceremony for the press this morning was really cute, the mayor was funny (if maybe over caffeinated) but it felt perfect for Toontown.

Not sure if it’s just the way it was filmed but the land feels smaller, I’ll miss the fountain but all the grassy areas for kids to play in seems like a better use of space though.

Love the bright CM costumes also. Very fitting for the area.
To be fair, The Mayor being over caffeinated is actually fitting.

brb1006

Is there a chance we could see Tokyo's Toontown being similarly updated, minus the Mickey ride (since there's no room for it) or the changes made to Goofy's house? I could be mistaken, but I believe Donald's Boat and Chip 'n' Dale's treehouse were similar neutered by safety laws, unless safety laws are different in Japan than in the U.S.?

I also find it interesting that they would try to retain, albeit in a diminished form (or maybe a larger form), the "Rescue Rangers" theme for the roller coaster. I would think by now most people would have forgotten about the show. In the book "Mouse Under Glass" by David Koenig, Tony Baxter is quoted as saying, "Divisions have to promote each other. So Disney Afternoon Live and Gadget's Go Coaster were to please that division. Unfortunately, as soon as the shows are off the air, no one may remember them. In fact, Chip and Dale (Nut House) [sic] aren't there for the cartoons you and I know them for - they're only for 'Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers."

Then again, I believe "Rescue Rangers", like many of the Disney Afternoon shows, can be found on Disney Plus (to say nothing of the "Roger Rabbit"-style movie), so...

And now I really want to see a music loop (a list at least) of the songs featured here, because I believe they still have the music from when the Mickey ride opened (which is to say, it's totally different from before it closed).
Yes the original Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers series (alongside the movie) and other Disney Afternoon Shows can be found on Disney+.

TP2000

Was it always called "Chip & Dale's GADGET Coaster" as it now appears on the maps???

Wasn't it just called "Gadget's Go Coaster" from 1992 until this land remodel?

Or am I remembering it wrong? I was never the demographic for that ride, and even when I babysat my young nephews in the 1990's they didn't want to go on it either. So I could be remembering it wrong. But, I could've sworn...

EDIT: After reading more posts, I'm seeing that the small coaster was slightly rebranded to belong to Chip & Dale. Or something. Interesting.

TP2000

Im fine with mickey getting a new outfit, but they really chose the most outdated 2011 outfit they could find.

Thank you. Even my behind-the-curve eyes could tell that "trendy" outfit already looked a bit dated for 2023. I was thinking it would have been on-trend around 2015, but perhaps it's even earlier.

Disney never does "hip" well. Perhaps the sole exception was Totally Minnie from 1986, but by 1988 she already looked out of style.

Just keep Mickey in his signature tuxedo please. He's an icon that way, not a dated stereotype.

Brer Oswald

Was it always called "Chip & Dale's GADGET Coaster" as it now appears on the maps???

Or am I remembering it wrong? I was never the demographic for that ride, and even when I babysat my young nephews in the 1990's they didn't want to go on it either. So I could be remembering it wrong. But, I could've sworn...

EDIT: After reading more posts, I'm seeing that the small coaster was slightly rebranded to belong to Chip & Dale. Or something. Interesting.
Yeah. They rebranded it to be more focussed on Chip and Dale…while also doubling down on the Rescue Ranger references. Honestly though, I think it’s an improvement. Many people (myself included at one point) thought it was named after Inspector Gadget, which makes no sense.

brb1006

It was originally known as "Gadget's Go Coaster" but has been renamed. The original title and layout is kept at Tokyo Disneyland's version of the attraction.

Heck, I thought the Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior series "PB&J Otter" was called "PB&J Otters". For a majority of my life, I believed the show was called "PB&J Otters" until I've recently begun rewatching the series on Disney+.
PBJOtter.jpg

By the way, I've decided to re-watch the entire series by using the Japanese audio and it has created a super unique experience on Disney+. The Japanese voices for Peanut, Butter, and Jelly is super cute (especially Jelly Otter) . As a person with Disney+, I will give credit for the amount of dedication the amount of International dubs you can lesson for a majority of Disney Animated Films, Shows, and other works that's not common in other Streaming Services. How often do you get to lessen to a Western-made film or animated show in multiple foreign languages on a single streaming service. Not even Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max is that dedicated to this.

Oh no! Now I've gotten the Japanese version of "The Noodle Dance" stuck in my head again!
pbj-otter-noodle.gif

Last edited:

brb1006

Disney never does "hip" well.
It could had been worse, at least Disney didn't acknowledge the existence of Mickey Unrapped in the queue for Runaway Railway.

Disney wants you to forgot the album, but we sure won't forget it!
Ni03OTA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Just recently came across this drawing from Twitter which actually poked fun of it.
D_m9VAAU4AAnnSB.jpg

brb1006

Yeah. They rebranded it to be more focussed on Chip and Dale…while also doubling down on the Rescue Ranger references. Honestly though, I think it’s an improvement. Many people (myself included at one point) thought it was named after Inspector Gadget, which makes no sense.
To be fair, Disney did produce two live-action film adaptations of Inspector Gadget (which can be viewed on Disney+) which only added more fuel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom