Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

kbmb

First, your room will be affected. I asked because if you were going DVC rental ways, those are not bothered by this.

Second, yes, those that medically first and foremost hopefully will get the ones that are available, not just people who are "big spenders" or the infamous "I'll file legal action..."

Finally, no. There needs to be no compensation dealt to everyone else. Why? The compensation I see is that your safety is being seen as #1 priority. If Disney valuing their customers life and spending all this money to fix a potentially deadly issue isn't enough compensation, then perhaps people need to look at themselves and how greedy they are. The company is taking enough of a hit with the changes (which they don't have to do, by the way) let alone comp guests something.

I think this is a big point, Disney has the option to do nothing with the fridges. There was at least one incident in CA where one caught fire, and that caught their attention that a change should possibly be made. Well, they are acting on that. I'm sorry for the thousands of people that will be affected by this inconvenience, but in no way do I condone the behavior of people demanding that they be compensated for something like this. If Disney did nothing at a resort and it burned down while guests were in the parks, you would have people threatening and carrying through with 1,0001 different actions.

It's just sad that we see people EXPECTING Disney to offer them something for free because of fixing a potentially deadly issue. This isn't like getting stuck on the monorail in the heat of the day or waiting 150 minutes in a standby line to have the ride close down when you're next to go on. This is a preemptive move by Disney to ensure the safety of all their guests and people just want more. Be happy that the resorts offer what they do because all Disney really has to offer a guest is a room with a bed, light, phone and bathroom, nothing else.

Ok, thanks for the rant. I fully expect my in-laws room, as well as ours to be affected by this. Personally I don't care about the fridge at all for me. Sure it's a minor inconvenience, but I'm not about to go complaining about it. I do think for the people that booked these room prior to the announcement, AND they have medical needs, Disney needs to step up to the plate. People booked these rooms with the knowledge that in room fridges were a listed amenity and would be made available, otherwise, in a medical case, people wouldn't have booked to begin with.

And BTW, I don't "thank" Disney for doing this.....I "expect" this from most every company, or at least in a perfect world we'd like to think that companies would make the correct choice when dealing with public safety issues. Put safety over profits right?

People have a right to disappointed, but they shouldn't get upset. Disney isn't doing this to make people's stays less "Magical"....they are doing it for safety.

I still haven't gotten an answer to.......does the Wilderness Lodge have a master fridge with the front desk for medical issues if people need to use it? As a last resort if an in-room fridge isn't available.

-Kevin

mousehockey37

Ok, thanks for the rant. I fully expect my in-laws room, as well as ours to be affected by this. Personally I don't care about the fridge at all for me. Sure it's a minor inconvenience, but I'm not about to go complaining about it. I do think for the people that booked these room prior to the announcement, AND they have medical needs, Disney needs to step up to the plate. People booked these rooms with the knowledge that in room fridges were a listed amenity and would be made available, otherwise, in a medical case, people wouldn't have booked to begin with.

And BTW, I don't "thank" Disney for doing this.....I "expect" this from most every company, or at least in a perfect world we'd like to think that companies would make the correct choice when dealing with public safety issues. Put safety over profits right?

People have a right to disappointed, but they shouldn't get upset. Disney isn't doing this to make people's stays less "Magical"....they are doing it for safety.

I still haven't gotten an answer to.......does the Wilderness Lodge have a master fridge with the front desk for medical issues if people need to use it? As a last resort if an in-room fridge isn't available.

-Kevin

As far as your query about the Wilderness Lodge master fridge, I, myself do not have an answer. Perhaps calling them and asking them directly would be the best route to travel on that.

I do, however, see a conflict of your statements from earlier. You state here that people have a right to be disappointed, but shouldn't get upset? However, a little further up the page, you stated that everyone who isn't under medical necessity should be compensated for not having a fridge in other ways.

This isn't going to be a case of "having your cake and eating it too".

Disney is shelling out major money to fix this problem. For them to come back and offer free "compensatory" items to each and every individual over the next 4 months until this project is complete, is ludicrous. Those compensatory items cost money and the money will have to come from somewhere. Sure, Disney could shell out $10 for each person a cooler for every day for the next 4 months, but you'd more than likely see them recoup that loss NEXT YEAR in some form of increase in pricing (whether it be food, lodging, tickets, etc). To the people that are still thinking they are owed something for the loss of a fridge, please, before you go calling and demanding compensation, think of what it may cost you later for your "free" things now.

AngryEyes

I'm really confused. People are paying x for their rooms. Their rooms now are missing something that they paid for. I don't see why there shouldn't be some sort of adjustment made somewhere. If I paid for a car and they decided there wouldn't be, say, cupholders after I already paid for a car with cupholders, I'd expect either a refund of the money I paid for those cupholders or for them to make it up in some other way.

It's not like people are asking for something for nothing. This is a case of people paying good money for something they're not getting. What's a refrigerator worth? What did they charge for a refrigerator not too long ago? $10 a day? OK. Take $10 a day off the room. I don't think anyone's asking for a free room or anything crazy.

If you don't expect to receive exactly what you paid for, I think you have too much money. I darned sure don't and what I pay for, I expect to receive.

Tigger1988

I'm really confused. People are paying x for their rooms. Their rooms now are missing something that they paid for. I don't see why there shouldn't be some sort of adjustment made somewhere. If I paid for a car and they decided there wouldn't be, say, cupholders after I already paid for a car with cupholders, I'd expect either a refund of the money I paid for those cupholders or for them to make it up in some other way.

It's not like people are asking for something for nothing. This is a case of people paying good money for something they're not getting. What's a refrigerator worth? What did they charge for a refrigerator not too long ago? $10 a day? OK. Take $10 a day off the room. I don't think anyone's asking for a free room or anything crazy.

If you don't expect to receive exactly what you paid for, I think you have too much money. I darned sure don't and what I pay for, I expect to receive.
Do you expect to be compensated when a ride is down at the Magic Kingdom? The park would be "missing something you paid for", so by your logic you're entitled to something.

No.

kbmb

Called the Wilderness. The women I spoke to said they do have a master fridge people can use for medical needs. She did say I should call back within 10 days of arrival to have them note the request. Not sure if this does anything different than the request you can put in now on the reservation other than its after the reservation has been entered into the hotel.

-Kevin

Dwarful

I wonder what happened to the people to were currently in the rooms and had items in the fridges. Those are the people who should be upset..esp. if their items were left out in the room w/o being kept cool...i.e., a styrofoam cooler w/ice. We get up early and leave by 630 and are gone most days all day long. So if housekeeping or other workers came in to disconnect the fridge but didn't do anything with the contents that would be pretty bad...esp. if it was medicine that might not be easily replaced.

mousehockey37

I wonder what happened to the people to were currently in the rooms and had items in the fridges. Those are the people who should be upset..esp. if their items were left out in the room w/o being kept cool...i.e., a styrofoam cooler w/ice. We get up early and leave by 630 and are gone most days all day long. So if housekeeping or other workers came in to disconnect the fridge but didn't do anything with the contents that would be pretty bad...esp. if it was medicine that might not be easily replaced.

It was stated early in the thread that the vacant rooms were done first. Those that were occupied were left running and usable until the room was vacated. So if you are there this week and they came around on Wednesday to disconnect everything, they will not be disconnecting your fridge until after you check out. So it sucks to be the next user of that room unfortunately.

Dwarful

oh gotcha...sorry I guess my brain is fried right now. I guess I missed that and figured if they were dangerous they all had to be disconnected.

MaryJaneP

Compensation. Compensation. I demand that everyone who experiences life's many and varied disappointments receive exhorbitant compensation. Particularly from those who are looking out for us. How dare they?

AngryEyes

Do you expect to be compensated when a ride is down at the Magic Kingdom? The park would be "missing something you paid for", so by your logic you're entitled to something.

No.

By my logic, the down ride has plenty of available substitutes for no extra charge. So, no to you.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this. Not only am I going to NOT get something I paid for, but it will cost me additional money. It's a double negative for anyone who was planning to actually use the fridge.

hull327

By my logic, the down ride has plenty of available substitutes for no extra charge. So, no to you.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this. Not only am I going to NOT get something I paid for, but it will cost me additional money. It's a double negative for anyone who was planning to actually use the fridge.
No, there's no substitute. I went in October and it rained on my MNSSHP cancelling the parade and other events that I paid $200 for. I didn't get any refund and I didn't get to experience the festivities. Went another year and Splash Mountain was under maintenance. There's no other Splash Mountain. You didn't purchase a Disney refrigerator that they didn't provide. You purchased a Disney hotel room that was listed with several amenities all of which are subject to removal in the event of a life safety issue.

I_heart_Tigger

Curious - did the rates for rooms all increase coinciding with the exact date of implementation of the fridges? If not, then you can't argue that you are paying for it. It is then a "perk"...one which many people managed without for years (decades?) and can likely survive for 4 months.

If you feel that you need recompense for it I suggest that a $10 discount would be the maximum you could ask for since that was the cost had you wanted one before the glory days of mini-fridge Mecca.

Mrsdonaldduck

Called the Wilderness. The women I spoke to said they do have a master fridge people can use for medical needs. She did say I should call back within 10 days of arrival to have them note the request. Not sure if this does anything different than the request you can put in now on the reservation other than its after the reservation has been entered into the hotel.

-Kevin
Amen Kevin ! I hope all works out well for your father in law and his meds.

matt9112

I fail to see the big deal here. I, for one, am glad that they're removing these and replacing them since there's obviously a problem. Is it an inconvenience if they're not there during your trip? Sure. Is is something that ruins the trip and deserving of compensation? No. It's a mini-fridge in a room. How many times have we gone to WDW and a favorite ride is down for maintenance? Of course I'm bummed but I'm not storming the Customer Service desk and demanding compensation.

so is your fav ride effecting your two year old from having his bottle? really....

matt9112

like people with little ones

hull327

so is your fav ride effecting your two year old from having his bottle? really....
Does it stop you from bringing a cooler into the room and loading it with ice while Disney replaces these fridges as fast as possible to eliminate a life safety problem? Holy hell, how did we vacation 10 years ago with children when fridges in rooms weren't even available at all? Oh that's right, we used our brains and used the ice Disney provides.

matt9112

Does it stop you from bringing a cooler into the room and loading it with ice while Disney replaces these fridges as fast as possible to eliminate a life safety problem?

thats what we will have to do....so before said issue was found how many rooms burned to the ground?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom