News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

MatheusPG

Casual fans almost never complain about IP. They go to Disney with their children and are happy to see the tykes point and yell "Moana!" every time she appears, even if it's in the Hall of Presidents.
Yes, but the novelty of that will fade away and lose its magic with this beeing so repetitive, since that kid will see Moana do the same things at HEA the day before and then again at EPCOT. I got to say, as a kid who grew up in Brazil, it was much more magical to see Christ the Redeemer and the Sugarloaf Mountain, along with many other cultures, than to see Jose Carioca.

When i was a kid, EPCOT used to be as magical, as Magic Kingdom, but a different kind of magic, one that used to stay with me even long after every trip, that's why i am so grateful to have seen at least the end of EPCOT, even if it wasn't at its prime.

Sir_Cliff

Casual fans almost never complain about IP. They go to Disney with their children and are happy to see the tykes point and yell "Moana!" every time she appears, even if it's in the Hall of Presidents.
That impression was reinforced for me when I experienced something similar to what you describe watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who is 'casual fan' and who expressed mild disappointment at the end that there was no "Disney" element to the show! I'm not sure if she was expecting Aladdin and Jasmine to appear at some point.

In this case, I wonder whether they are finding there is more of an Epcot fanbase than they imagined that does react in a strongly negative fashion to diluting the original concept of the park with IP and that they're having a hard time generating a lot of excitement about this or the park overhaul more generally. It may be a relatively small percentage of their daily business, but I guess it's a contingent that may still be able to generate a lot of noise and negative buzz online if Disney throws out too much to get them angry. Disney might feel there's nothing to be gained by releasing clips of Moana and Mulan crooning across the World Showcase Lagoon in advance as it's mostly the more dedicated fans who will see it and a lot of them won't like it.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

That impression was reinforced for me when I experienced something similar to what you describe watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who is 'casual fan' and who expressed mild disappointment at the end that there was no "Disney" element to the show! I'm not sure if she was expecting Aladdin and Jasmine to appear at some point.
To be fair, Disney has done a great job leading people to this conclusion with so much of the marketing using the same buzzwords and images of characters and princesses and IP. But turning that around, there's nothing explicitly "Disney" about Space Mountain, Small World, Expedition Everest, and many other popular or iconic park attractions. I can't believe anyone is getting off Big Thunder Mountain thinking, "That was fun, but it'd be better if Woody and Jessie were in it."

In this case, I wonder whether they are finding there is more of an Epcot fanbase than they imagined that does react in a strongly negative fashion to diluting the original concept of the park with IP and that they're having a hard time generating a lot of excitement about this or the park overhaul more generally. It may be a relatively small percentage of their daily business, but I guess it's a contingent that may still be able to generate a lot of noise and negative buzz online if Disney throws out too much to get them angry. Disney might feel there's nothing to be gained by releasing clips of Moana and Mulan crooning across the World Showcase Lagoon in advance as it's mostly the more dedicated fans who will see it and a lot of them won't like it.
No doubt there is a vocal EPCOT (Center) fanbase that is going to be against the continued IP-ification of the park, but I also think the announced overhaul leaves a lot to be desired even for the casual fan. Sure, there's the Guardians coaster and Ratatouille dark ride, but a Moana fountain walk through thing? A weird looking festival center building? A kid's play spot and meet and greet area? These just aren't all that "exciting" in terms of new things at a $120/day theme park. People want rides, and even a casual fan is going to notice the lack of updates to The Seas, Imagination, Test Track, or the half of World Showcase that will still have nothing but restaurants.

And as been discussed, there's a chance of the casual fan viewing Harm as just a weirder or lesser version of HEA if it's going to have a lot of the same IP. Which goes back to the whole IPCOT debate we've had on this board for years and why making the park Magic Kingdom 2.0 isn't necessarily an answer to it's problems. The fans who want "Disney" are going to still prefer MK, and now you've alienated the EPCOT fans who want little to no IP.

Movielover

I need help finding the difference between the 2 photos, I'm kind of having a hard time...

62b7ef1b8a64fca971c3d5d4250d850a.jpg

pearl.jpg

TTA94

Is a soft opening of Harm a possibility toward the end of September? Disney didn’t specifically say when EFs last performance will be. All we know is Harm “officially” debuts Oct 1st.

Epcot82Guy

Having just watched HEA from the Poly this weekend, the story telling here is actually an additional growing concern of mine. While the show is visually pretty, it really has absolutely no story or connective tissue. The loose themes just don't cut it IMHO. Having seen the music for HARM, I fear a similar fate. While I still have MAJOR reservations, there is no doubt Disney has a deep catalogue of music about being yourself, going for your dreams, etc. - songs of inspiration. Thinking How Far I'll Go, Circle of Life, Almost There, Go the Distance, Reflection, etc. If the message was about the "harmony of our individual inspirations" and there was that common theme - this could be some version of an Epcot-worthy message. Instead, it yet again feels like "the most popular clips" vs. "how they fit together".

DreamfinderGuy

Is a soft opening of Harm a possibility toward the end of September? Disney didn’t specifically say when EFs last performance will be. All we know is Harm “officially” debuts Oct 1st.
A guess says it's another 9/30 and 10/1 changeover. For one because they like things to debut on 10/1, for two because they need all the time they can get to make sure Harm runs as smoothly as possible on day one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A guess says it's another 9/30 and 10/1 changeover. For one because they like things to debut on 10/1, for two because they need all the time they can get to make sure Harm runs as smoothly as possible on day one.
Yes everything is in place to do the switch over very quickly. No reason it can't be a next day change.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any chances that Harmonious would get the eventual Holiday tag this year or is that wishful thinking?
My guess would be wishful thinking, but maybe we'll be surprised. Nothing announced for it during today's holiday news blast.

Epcot82Guy

Reserve judgment until you hear it for real.

That gives me a little hope. They seem to be missing the mark on so many things being misplaced and disjointed when looking at the "overall" theme of the place/show/location. So I'm skeptical - but always willing to admit when my speculation was wrong!

jrhwdw

My guess would be wishful thinking, but maybe we'll be surprised. Nothing announced for it during today's holiday news blast.
They don't do it the first Christmas do they? Hallo/Holiday Wishes was 2 years after Wishes opened. ROE's POE was 5 Years after 1999 I think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom