News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We came in first from the Imagination side, and (a few nights later) the middle. That first impression when walking from the Imag side is/was absolutely visually jarring for me. As I’ve said, I wasn’t even looking for them but they immediately grabbed my eye.

Great for 15 minutes does not cancel out being an eyesore for the other 23 hours and 45 minutes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ve finally seen scale. These barges are huge. I hope that they come with it with this show. That could be the only justification for having attack boats and the ring from Contact in the middle.

Actually, it’s a scaled down version of Thanos’ ships. Gotta have the movie IP tie-in. 😉 But I absolutely agree - There is a scale there that is not captured with a camera.

...it's a yungle

Society in general is more dumbed down than even 30 years ago.
Visited all 4 parks last Thu-Sun...”dumbed down” was rampant
When I reached the Canada pavilion after entering IG, I finally remembered to look at the taco platter..I dropped my jaw and then my head
I imagine the show at night will be large, but daytime views are simply horrendous and I don’t believe fountains will hide them in any way...plus it doesn’t change you can’t see across the water
One example of dumbed down was a “legend in their own mind” guest who just could not understand why he would have to be put on a waitlist for the Rose and Crown bar at 9:30 in the evening🥴

Unplugged

Such a horrible way to implement a new show. At MK they attempted to hide the DLP projectors for the castle as well as having the fireworks hidden either on roofs or behind the park. Here they stick it in our face and ruin the view. I've seen videos of them testing the fountains and hate to say, but it was a joke at the time.

It would have been easy for them to pour concrete pylons in the lagoon under water, and drop-in install a raise/lower modular show platform that could support shows like World of Color. Re-use the platform for new custom EPCOT shows. How much $$$ would that have saved?!? Not to mention it could be hidden at all times except when raised for maintenance, and even then we're talking a few feet above the water. For the shows, all we'd see are the small flat fireworks barges for the night that could be brought as before. Can still run fountains from this platform during the day.

[Edit] I suppose we should have knew this would happen after the Rivers of Light fiasco at AK. This is so over the top in design as others have pointed out, for 15 minutes. Maybe it's not too late to get their money back on those barges? 🙄 😁

nickys

Premium Member
Such a horrible way to implement a new show. At MK they attempted to hide the DLP projectors for the castle as well as having the fireworks hidden either on roofs or behind the park. Here they stick it in our face and ruin the view. I've seen videos of them testing the fountains and hate to say, but it was a joke at the time.

It would have been easy for them to pour concrete pylons in the lagoon under water, and drop-in install a raise/lower modular show platform that could support shows like World of Color. Re-use the platform for new custom EPCOT shows. How much $$$ would that have saved?!? Not to mention it could be hidden at all times except when raised for maintenance, and even then we're talking a few feet above the water. For the shows, all we'd see are the small flat fireworks barges for the night that could be brought as before. Can still run fountains from this platform during the day.

This is so over the top in design as others have pointed out, for 15 minutes. Maybe it's not too late to get their money back on those barges? 🙄 😁
IIRC, insiders have said when the show was designed the plan was to bring out the barges each evening, like the Globe was in ROE. That plan was changed but things were already well underway.

So as hideous as the barges are, this isn’t the fault of the show designers. The decision was taken higher up that they would be left out on the lagoon 24/7.

GimpYancIent

We came in first from the Imagination side, and (a few nights later) the middle. That first impression when walking from the Imag side is/was absolutely visually jarring for me. As I’ve said, I wasn’t even looking for them but they immediately grabbed my eye.

Great for 15 minutes does not cancel out being an eyesore for the other 23 hours and 45 minutes.
When the show kicks off will it be visible to the ISS? With all that hardware I expect a lot of brightness.

themarchhare

It's all so... ugly...

i am disgusted love and hip hop atlanta GIF by RealityTVGIFs

rickdrat

Recent Harmonious test shows impressive capabilities of the lighting systems​

Moving light technology is over 40 years old. I'm not certain I'd refer to this particular test as "impressive". Now, a massive water curtain that makes everyone forgot they're there.... that would be impressive.

durangojim

We first came in from the International Gateway and I had forgotten they were there. When we got down the hill by the UK and I looked at the lagoon I was shocked how large and ugly they were. That imagineer was right, telephoto lenses don't give an accurate representation of how large they are. They're bigger and uglier in person!

durangojim

[Edit] I suppose we should have knew this would happen after the Rivers of Light fiasco at AK. This is so over the top in design as others have pointed out, for 15 minutes. Maybe it's not too late to get their money back on those barges? 🙄 😁
Is it possible the screens and lights will be used every night starting at dusk and then the show will start?
I was also bummed to see that none of the torches were lit in the evening when we were at EPCOT. I thought for sure they would still do that regardless if there was a night time show. I can't understand why they're not doing it.

Father Robinson

Ladies and Gentlemen..EPCOT welcomes you, and we invite you to join us for Harmonious! A celebration of Disney music from around the globe! The show can be experienced all around World Showcase Lagoon. In order for you to fully appreciate tonight's performance, you must have a spot in World Showcase Plaza. Prime viewing locations for the remaining screens are available all around World Showcase promenade. For your safety, and that of our guests and cast members, please watch your step, as the pavement is probably still wet from the daytime fountain effect...

wutisgood

More referring to the sheer number of them, and their use out in the open. I think this this is going to be an incredible light show, regardless of all the other issues.
I mean plenty of stage shows have higher density lighting and it's a really big lagoon. I imagine there is other lighting not mounted in the lagoon that will be a part of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom