News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Thanks for the 'first hand view' opinion. Will be seeing it in a few weeks, I know I will be too happy to be p*ssed about this at the time, but curious what I will think of it when I first see it person.

Fingers crossed that they deep six this visual catastrophe sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Given the sunk costs, I’m expecting a long run unfortunately.

The Empress Lilly

Thanks for the 'first hand view' opinion. Will be seeing it in a few weeks, I know I will be too happy to be p*ssed about this at the time, but curious what I will think of it when I first see it person.

Fingers crossed that they deep six this visual catastrophe sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:
Let us know what you think.

Pictures can be deceiving. I remember pretty much the same discussion when the Guardians gravity box went up. Some said it was hardly noticeable IRL, others said it was awful. I went and it turned out to be far worse in reality than in any picture I had seen.

Have fun either way though!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Even if HarMOAN-ious is the best show Disney has ever created... it won't make up for the forever ruined sightlines in WS.

Another bucket of dirt on Epcot's corpse.

Lakes are all over the Southeast, I'm for anything that hides the continental shift between pavilions representing different regions.

TTA94

I'll say it looks better in person because our eyes are not a camera lens or static picture fixated on one subject. In person we take in more around us, tend to look away at the buildings, pathways, people and take in the sounds and smells around us. I found myself simply not looking at it.

Again, I get the vibes of ROL here where they ignore what is practical to create something unique, but they probably had a better way of doing similar. Then years into it they decide it's not worth it.

I think Disney will allow this show to run maybe 5 years max before coming to its senses and killing it off to clean up the views.

I agree I don’t feel it’s as bad in person and it doesn’t take up the whole entire lagoon. The center? Yes.
Overall sure it’s unfortunate these are out all the time, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it total disaster for WS. I do understand it bothers the crap out of the Epcot purists. Not saying everyone has to be ok with it and accept it, but the reality is those barges are not going anywhere and Harmonious will debut. I guess it’s best to focus on the nighttime aspect and the show itself. The views with the fountains may not be so bad at night. We just need to wait and see the final product.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree I don’t feel it’s as bad in person and it doesn’t take up the whole entire lagoon. The center? Yes.
Overall sure it’s unfortunate these are out all the time, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it total disaster for WS. I do understand it bothers the crap out of the Epcot purists. Not saying everyone has to be ok with it and accept it, but the reality is those barges are not going anywhere and Harmonious will debut. I guess it’s best to focus on the nighttime aspect and the show itself. The views with the fountains may not be so bad at night. We just need to wait and see the final product.
The show has partly failed already. I’ve said numerous times it’ll be a technical tour de force. But a Disney show is as much about what goes into it as the final result.

And that’s without the whole IP argument.

TTA94

The show has partly failed already. I’ve said numerous times it’ll be a technical tour de force. But a Disney show is as much about what goes into it as the final result.

And that’s without the whole IP argument.

I agree, and I don’t disagree with you on that. Should have never been done this way. I guess my thinking is they seem to be determined to continue on and go through with the show regardless what people think. Sad indeed. Especially when you see shows in Tokyo that have moving barges. Different setup though which is unfortunate for WS. To bad they do joy have easier backstage access.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I know that my take is in the minority here, but we were there just a few weeks ago, and it didn't kill the vibe for us at all. When we go into EPCOT from the front entrance, we walk into WS either via the Odyssey or the Figment side walkways. We never go right down the middle. When we are walking around WS, we don't look across the lagoon at all, but simply look where we are going. When we leave, it is via the same walkways that we entered (well, the other side), so again, don't ever look directly at the middle. That's just us, and I know that most hate these things, but they just don't affect us at all.

Our big issue with it, is that it appears that the only place to see the best show will be directly in front of it, which was the FP and dessert party areas. I don't see how, if you are standing on the bridge between Britain and France that the view is going to work very well. That view worked just fine for ROE. Guess we'll have to see exactly what the views are like around the lagoon in the future.

And just so y'all know. I was at the opening of EPCOT back in 82, so know exactly what it looked like back then. Lots of dirt piles for years until all of the countries were built out. Again, I know that my view is in the minority, so flame away.

nickys

Premium Member
So I know that my take is in the minority here, but we were there just a few weeks ago, and it didn't kill the vibe for us at all. When we go into EPCOT from the front entrance, we walk into WS either via the Odyssey or the Figment side walkways. We never go right down the middle. When we are walking around WS, we don't look across the lagoon at all, but simply look where we are going. When we leave, it is via the same walkways that we entered (well, the other side), so again, don't ever look directly at the middle. That's just us, and I know that most hate these things, but they just don't affect us at all.

Our big issue with it, is that it appears that the only place to see the best show will be directly in front of it, which was the FP and dessert party areas. I don't see how, if you are standing on the bridge between Britain and France that the view is going to work very well. That view worked just fine for ROE. Guess we'll have to see exactly what the views are like around the lagoon in the future.

And just so y'all know. I was at the opening of EPCOT back in 82, so know exactly what it looked like back then. Lots of dirt piles for years until all of the countries were built out. Again, I know that my view is in the minority, so flame away.
So you never take photos of the family in front of the lagoon? I think at least half my Epcot photos include the lagoon. And I do take pics of the countries from across the water.

I like to look all around wherever I’m walking. In the parks, along the streets, walking through the woods. It would be like going to DC and not looking up at the Capitol, or the Monuments. Or going to NYC and looking along Broadway to Times Square.

But each to their own.

jrhwdw

Given the sunk costs, I’m expecting a long run unfortunately.

Looks like sabotage is our only recourse.
Do I recall you having a scuba certification..........

Or nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
Oh sure! We went from maybe EF or fast tacking Harm this summer, maybe even a July 4th Tag if we have a miracle, back down to the gutter! And this week was going so well on here.......

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So you never take photos of the family in front of the lagoon? I think at least half my Epcot photos include the lagoon. And I do take pics of the countries from across the water.

I like to look all around wherever I’m walking. In the parks, along the streets, walking through the woods. It would be like going to DC and not looking up at the Capitol, or the Monuments. Or going to NYC and looking along Broadway to Times Square.

But each to their own.
I have dozens of photos already of that spot from when the kids went with us. I have thousands of Disney pictures. On our last trip a few weeks ago, I took pictures of the room (first stay at BLT), and nothing else. It's just my DW and I, and I now only take pictures of new things, and there was nothing new opened this trip. We'll be there in October, and take pictures of Rat, but it looks like that's about the only new thing that will be open.

We have visited Disney literally hundreds of times, and so, don't look around as much as we used to. We know what's there. Since I live near DC, when we visit downtown, yes, we look around, and take more pictures, because it is still new to us. Same would happen with NYC. Don't get me wrong. We absolutely love going to WDW, but just want to experience everything, rather than keeping our phones out for pictures all of the time. We only take our phones out when we absolutely have to.

I totally get that y'all from the UK don't get to visit as often, and have a different view of things, and I completely understand the consternation with the lagoon. That's why I said that we are in the minority of guests there.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Oh sure! We went from maybe EF or fast tacking Harm this summer, maybe even a July 4th Tag if we have a miracle, back down to the gutter! And this week was going so well on here.......
Well rather than "back down to the gutter" let's just call it a "difference of opinion" based on what we're seeing so far.
With that being said, you're entitled to your pie in the sky outlook and I won't fault you for it. 🙃

nickys

Premium Member
I have dozens of photos already of that spot from when the kids went with us. I have thousands of Disney pictures. On our last trip a few weeks ago, I took pictures of the room (first stay at BLT), and nothing else. It's just my DW and I, and I now only take pictures of new things, and there was nothing new opened this trip. We'll be there in October, and take pictures of Rat, but it looks like that's about the only new thing that will be open.

We have visited Disney literally hundreds of times, and so, don't look around as much as we used to. We know what's there. Since I live near DC, when we visit downtown, yes, we look around, and take more pictures, because it is still new to us. Same would happen with NYC. Don't get me wrong. We absolutely love going to WDW, but just want to experience everything, rather than keeping our phones out for pictures all of the time. We only take our phones out when we absolutely have to.

I totally get that y'all from the UK don't get to visit as often, and have a different view of things, and I completely understand the consternation with the lagoon. That's why I said that we are in the minority of guests there.
I guess I can’t “experience” something without looking around. To me, not looking around means I’m missing things. All the “smelling the roses” things mean I am looking around. Whether or not I’m taking photos is immaterial. But yes, I do take a gazillion photos and also take our time taking it all in, because we have that luxury of time. By the time we get back I’ll want to take the photos all over again. Six years is a long time.

MrPromey

I just got back from visiting Epcot this past Sunday. The tacos and stargate are more hideous in person than in the photos. It's physically jarring to be enjoying a stroll around the lagoon, look towards what would normally be across the water at the opposing country, and get stopped in your tracks by giant black blobs instead. When approached by a PPP, I asked it he could take one without the tacos in it, and he actually got upset with me for asking. Seriously?!

Which brings me to another question: I'm seeing posts regarding the cleanliness of the lagoon water. One of my favorite stops, especially on a hot day, is in Canada at the bottom of the falls (entrance to the movie). I will stand there and let the mist cool me off, and now I'm starting to second guess myself. Is this the same nasty water you speak of that's in the lagoon?

The thing with the lagoon water (and I'm one of the people who talked about it) is just that it has a natural bottom. It's isn't a cement pond. The water isn't and can't be treated. One part of it is built up on compressed natural debris that had filled in a sink hole many, many, many years ago. That area, if you were to step in it would probably be muck.

It's not like the lagoon is full of gray water or anything but it isn't exactly what I'd consider "clean" either. It'll have algae, bacteria - same stuff you'd find in semi-standing water all over Florida.

I wouldn't be afraid of it but I also wouldn't want to be doused with it.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess I can’t “experience” something without looking around. To me, not looking around means I’m missing things. All the “smelling the roses” things mean I am looking around. Whether or not I’m taking photos is immaterial. But yes, I do take a gazillion photos and also take our time taking it all in, because we have that luxury of time. By the time we get back I’ll want to take the photos all over again. Six years is a long time.
Ok, I will say the one thing we do is take our time and smell the roses. I’m really sorry that the pictures won’t be the same with the barges out there. I know it will affect a lot of people, and I wish Disney had done something different.

MrPromey

Yeah the "go away" paint hasn't really been working too well recently. Worked int eh old days to some extent when it was just hiding something right on the edge or backstage, but things like Guardians, Rat and this - nope.

If you'd told me a decade ago that Disney was going to try to pull a Rip Ride Rocket, I'd have said you were nuts. I'd have said that Disney would never do that because they actually care about atmosphere and immersion and this is one of the things that will always make them better than the competition.

Today, that kind of news wouldn't even make me blink.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still come on here and whine about it but it wouldn't shock me in the least.

So weird how new Universal is becoming more and more like old Disney and new Disney is becoming more and more like everybody else.*

*Except of course, their rock work. If this whole theme park thing doesn't pan out for them, Disney definitely has a future in commercial landscaping and koy pond installation.

... on second thought, they might not do such a good job of hiding the workings of the fountain features. :/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom