• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

M:SpilotISTC12

I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt that it’ll look halfway decent with fountain mode turned on. My problem is when it breaks all the time and Disney realizes it’s not worth the investment to keep fixing and it looks the way it does now with no fountains running.

Sir_Cliff

Oh, I wasn't making any judgement on the barges and such, just that @marni1971 had mentioned that he hadn't seen it up like that while he was there. Sorry for the thread drift.
Sorry for contributing to the drift, but my experiences visiting DCA have been very similar: more often than not the platform has been elevated and quite visible. The end result is not as obstructive as the tacos, but it surprised me to see it elevated so often on different visits considering how much effort went into constructing a platform that should submerge.

As you're saying, this is not meant as a whataboutism to justify what they have done at Epcot. I also agree that there is a big difference between misbehaving tech and intent.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

You know what made IllumiNations ROE amazing?

Ok, yes a whole bunch of things, but one of them without a doubt was how impressive it was despite it's simplicity. The minimal setup allowed World Showcase to be an additional visual element to the show.

You know, I thought with the decluttering of Tomorrowland (especially the sign), that Disney realized that less can really be more..

This is like a bad dream. Losing ROE was heartbreaking enough.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks for the 'first hand view' opinion. Will be seeing it in a few weeks, I know I will be too happy to be p*ssed about this at the time, but curious what I will think of it when I first see it person.

Fingers crossed that they deep six this visual catastrophe sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

I wasn’t even looking for the tacos, we were more focused on the flowers and kiosks. As soon as these came into view, they absolutely took my eye’s attention. They are larger than the pictures show.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Premium Member
Thanks for the 'first hand view' opinion. Will be seeing it in a few weeks, I know I will be too happy to be p*ssed about this at the time, but curious what I will think of it when I first see it person.

Fingers crossed that they deep six this visual catastrophe sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Given the sunk costs, I’m expecting a long run unfortunately.

The Empress Lilly

Let us know what you think.

Pictures can be deceiving. I remember pretty much the same discussion when the Guardians gravity box went up. Some said it was hardly noticeable IRL, others said it was awful. I went and it turned out to be far worse in reality than in any picture I had seen.

Have fun either way though!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Even if HarMOAN-ious is the best show Disney has ever created... it won't make up for the forever ruined sightlines in WS.

Another bucket of dirt on Epcot's corpse.

Lakes are all over the Southeast, I'm for anything that hides the continental shift between pavilions representing different regions.

mnelson3

I'll say it looks better in person because our eyes are not a camera lens or static picture fixated on one subject. In person we take in more around us, tend to look away at the buildings, pathways, people and take in the sounds and smells around us. I found myself simply not looking at it.

Again, I get the vibes of ROL here where they ignore what is practical to create something unique, but they probably had a better way of doing similar. Then years into it they decide it's not worth it.

I think Disney will allow this show to run maybe 5 years max before coming to its senses and killing it off to clean up the views.

I agree I don’t feel it’s as bad in person and it doesn’t take up the whole entire lagoon. The center? Yes.
Overall sure it’s unfortunate these are out all the time, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it total disaster for WS. I do understand it bothers the crap out of the Epcot purists. Not saying everyone has to be ok with it and accept it, but the reality is those barges are not going anywhere and Harmonious will debut. I guess it’s best to focus on the nighttime aspect and the show itself. The views with the fountains may not be so bad at night. We just need to wait and see the final product.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
I agree I don’t feel it’s as bad in person and it doesn’t take up the whole entire lagoon. The center? Yes.
Overall sure it’s unfortunate these are out all the time, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it total disaster for WS. I do understand it bothers the crap out of the Epcot purists. Not saying everyone has to be ok with it and accept it, but the reality is those barges are not going anywhere and Harmonious will debut. I guess it’s best to focus on the nighttime aspect and the show itself. The views with the fountains may not be so bad at night. We just need to wait and see the final product.
The show has partly failed already. I’ve said numerous times it’ll be a technical tour de force. But a Disney show is as much about what goes into it as the final result.

And that’s without the whole IP argument.

mnelson3

The show has partly failed already. I’ve said numerous times it’ll be a technical tour de force. But a Disney show is as much about what goes into it as the final result.

And that’s without the whole IP argument.

I agree, and I don’t disagree with you on that. Should have never been done this way. I guess my thinking is they seem to be determined to continue on and go through with the show regardless what people think. Sad indeed. Especially when you see shows in Tokyo that have moving barges. Different setup though which is unfortunate for WS. To bad they do joy have easier backstage access.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I know that my take is in the minority here, but we were there just a few weeks ago, and it didn't kill the vibe for us at all. When we go into EPCOT from the front entrance, we walk into WS either via the Odyssey or the Figment side walkways. We never go right down the middle. When we are walking around WS, we don't look across the lagoon at all, but simply look where we are going. When we leave, it is via the same walkways that we entered (well, the other side), so again, don't ever look directly at the middle. That's just us, and I know that most hate these things, but they just don't affect us at all.

Our big issue with it, is that it appears that the only place to see the best show will be directly in front of it, which was the FP and dessert party areas. I don't see how, if you are standing on the bridge between Britain and France that the view is going to work very well. That view worked just fine for ROE. Guess we'll have to see exactly what the views are like around the lagoon in the future.

And just so y'all know. I was at the opening of EPCOT back in 82, so know exactly what it looked like back then. Lots of dirt piles for years until all of the countries were built out. Again, I know that my view is in the minority, so flame away.

nickys

Premium Member
So I know that my take is in the minority here, but we were there just a few weeks ago, and it didn't kill the vibe for us at all. When we go into EPCOT from the front entrance, we walk into WS either via the Odyssey or the Figment side walkways. We never go right down the middle. When we are walking around WS, we don't look across the lagoon at all, but simply look where we are going. When we leave, it is via the same walkways that we entered (well, the other side), so again, don't ever look directly at the middle. That's just us, and I know that most hate these things, but they just don't affect us at all.

Our big issue with it, is that it appears that the only place to see the best show will be directly in front of it, which was the FP and dessert party areas. I don't see how, if you are standing on the bridge between Britain and France that the view is going to work very well. That view worked just fine for ROE. Guess we'll have to see exactly what the views are like around the lagoon in the future.

And just so y'all know. I was at the opening of EPCOT back in 82, so know exactly what it looked like back then. Lots of dirt piles for years until all of the countries were built out. Again, I know that my view is in the minority, so flame away.
So you never take photos of the family in front of the lagoon? I think at least half my Epcot photos include the lagoon. And I do take pics of the countries from across the water.

I like to look all around wherever I’m walking. In the parks, along the streets, walking through the woods. It would be like going to DC and not looking up at the Capitol, or the Monuments. Or going to NYC and looking along Broadway to Times Square.

But each to their own.

jrhwdw

Given the sunk costs, I’m expecting a long run unfortunately.

Looks like sabotage is our only recourse.
Do I recall you having a scuba certification..........

Or nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
Oh sure! We went from maybe EF or fast tacking Harm this summer, maybe even a July 4th Tag if we have a miracle, back down to the gutter! And this week was going so well on here.......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom