News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

doctornick

Was everything really so impressed by the “before” World Showcase views? I can’t remember ever sitting back and thinking, “wow, what a view”, and I’ve leaned against those rails and looked over the lagoon many a time.

I'm partially with you on this. I think the "it blocks views across the lagoon" complain to me is kinda meh. I never really thought it was important to see the pavilions across the way and never have spent time doing such.

My bigger issue is the ugliness of the stuff there (and I doubt the fountains will help much). If they had put a large tree filled island that was pretty in the middle and it blocked the views, I'd be cool with it.

GimpYancIent

I'm partially with you on this. I think the "it blocks views across the lagoon" complain to me is kinda meh. I never really thought it was important to see the pavilions across the way and never have spent time doing such.

My bigger issue is the ugliness of the stuff there (and I doubt the fountains will help much). If they had put a large tree filled island that was pretty in the middle and it blocked the views, I'd be cool with it.
The oversized Steam Punk sci fi looking mass is a bit overwhelming and, yea UGLY. Fountains? It will then be an oversized Steam Punk sci fi looking mass with water squirting out of it. It will need to be one hell of a show to off set its detractors.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

How far back are you thinking?

Disney has spent a good part of the last 15 years littering the waterline with restaurants that block the views across the lagoon (or privatize them for guests paying an upcharge to watch the Fireworks) - for the first 20+ years it was plain to even the casual EPCOT guest that the views of the Pavilions across the lagoon were curated and considered, and worth taking in.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm partially with you on this. I think the "it blocks views across the lagoon" complain to me is kinda meh. I never really thought it was important to see the pavilions across the way and never have spent time doing such..
You should have done. The design intent alone was stunning (although more recent clutter made somewhat of a mess)

Like a lot of good theme park design, the more you look the more you see.

Last edited:

Movielover

The oversized Steam Punk sci fi looking mass is a bit overwhelming and, yea UGLY. Fountains? It will then be an oversized Steam Punk sci fi looking mass with water squirting out of it. It will need to be one hell of a show to off set its detractors.

That's a insult to Steampunk. Steampunk is specifically designed to still be aesthetically pleasing while looking busy or cluttered. The Mistake on the Lake is just a bunch of exposed mechanical pipes, not designed to be seen, but put on display in full view.

I would take a Steampunk version over what we have because at least it would indicate some form of aesthetic design went into these monstrosities.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
For years I’ve been saying that giant industrial looking metal structures festooned on the lagoon would bring joy out the wazoon!
Any updates on the rest of the lagoon construction that we can’t see? Think pavilion you need swim trunks to visit (Marvel tie in, baby! The wait for Namor is over!).

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
My bigger issue is the ugliness of the stuff there (and I doubt the fountains will help much).
I can imagine a scenario where it remains ugly (no one I think would say it’s not ugly now) but I can also imagine a scenario where the fountains are absolutely beautiful. Hopefully they can turn them on soon so we can stop speculating.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Fountains are not going to improve the situation one iota.

Fact.

-
If that is your feeling there is no point in debating. Fountains will obviously improve upon the naked industrial stage rigging, and will do so by several iotas.

Will it be nice? I dont know! It might still look awful!

But to say a shield of water won’t improve it one iota vs the current free-concert-series vibe is just argumentative.

I’m increasingly frustrated by people’s unwillingness to give something a chance before they rip it apart.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Any chance investors ask about this during the call? Would love to hear them questioned about long term value for investors if they start watering down the product and not producing a product that keeps with the quality and experiences customers expect. Especially if they are moving to attract a wealthier clientele.
I could see big picture questions about Chapek’s comment that more or less said that he plans to charge more for a worse experience. I can’t imagine someone specifically bringing up the Harmonious barges.

the.dreamfinder

Which way is it off-centered? Could it be aimed toward the canceled Festival Center?
Wouldn’t be the first time.
1614690241902.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom