News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Rteetz

It's not about Epcots pasts. It's the fact that the theming and immersion standards of disney's past have gone down the drain.

When Tower of Terror was built, it was themed to blend into Morroco from the Mexican pavilion.

Can you see the ride building for Porch or Splash from inside the park?

Space Mountain was designed to look good from all angles.

Now we get this and Big box rides like Guardians, soarin, rat, tron.

Standards have been lowered.
I again don’t disagree. I certainly don’t think guardians really should be in Epcot at all but again not for this thread.

TTA94

I think everything has been seen one way or another.

Do you know if they are doing anything outside of the lagoon for Harm.? Like updating the pavilion outline lighting? In the Epcot Experience it did show the pavilion lighting to have a wave or twinkle effect.

UNCgolf

It doesn't help the fact that his Instagram posts bring up themes, research, and the meanings behind why X is X and Y is Y. He'll dive into history as well. Then you have the definitely not PR, PR post that was definitely not approved by some higher up that is definitely 100% written by him. He could easily just not have social media instead of trying to shill. Joe Rohde's posts were always great reads and never felt like some PR crap.

I understand there's more to this then him and he could've been pushing in the opposite direction but is being forced to do Bobs plan. Point is, he took the project on so it's his face on the project. I don't feel bad for the blame he receives. I also recall a trusted source on here saying he's basically Bobs puppet and that was the reason why he was elevated to this position (obviously I can't verify so this one isn't weighing much in this conversation).

This has nothing to do with "BuT EpCoT bEfOrE tHe 90s WaS bEtTeR", it's Disneys own standards. I can go to nearly any other park that has minimal themes, boxes, and track everywhere. Disney showed you can have things hidden in plain sight. To accept this is and say "well Epcot needed a new show at any cost" is hilarious.

On the fountains: We know Disneys history (US parks) with maintaining things a few years after it debuts. I give the fountains 5 years tops before they stop fixing them. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

I wasn't saying he doesn't deserve part of the blame -- my point was that this is a more widespread problem than just one person. It's not like if he was gone everything would suddenly be great at Disney again.

UNCgolf

What’s worse?
Harmonious barges? Or the pink birthday castle?

The barges. I wasn't a big fan of the birthday castle, but there was some whimsy involved and it wasn't just technical equipment on display.

More importantly, the birthday castle was a temporary thing. Those barges are probably going to be out there for a decade or longer with the amount of money they've spent doing this.

pxmedia

I know it's too late, but I do hope Disney reads these forums and the comments about this. How did something like this get "green-lit"? As a disclaimer, I loved Illuminations. But how did they think that blocking the views of World Showcase all-day would be a good thing? And to have the Stargate barge off-centered is terrible. Simply terrible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It certainly isn't all that appealing but like @CastAStone said I have never really just sat and gazed at the view across the lagoon. I am sure it will hurt photopass backgrounds though.

If people can’t even value your views across the centerpiece of the park... with 11 pavilions presenting frontage to it.. Maybe disney should just start putting condos around the park instead a berm. No one looks at the berm right? What a waste of potential!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t believe so. What they showed in the concept/Epcot Experience appeared more RGB ish, well not changing colors, though that would be cool.
If you find a link I’ll have a look but don’t go out of your way

Edit - just seen it. Seems like a slowed down version of the effect from IllumiNations.

Last edited:

pxmedia

Sight lines are a disney standard. Just like garbage cans every 30 feet etc.
It’s nothing about the past. It’s about present day standards.

Sorry but it’s laughable you’re trying to defend this absolute cluster.

“If this show impresses than to me it’s worth it.” Comments like this are why standards have dropped and why they think it’s okay. It is not okay. Not for Disney.
Less than two years ago, I took the World Showcase Tour. It was funny that as the Cast Member Tour Guide was pointing out how amazing it was that the Imagineers "hid" the Tower of Terror behind the Morocco pavilion, she missed the huge "Ratatouille" show building right next to it. It was the perfect example of how the standards have been lowered and Disney doesn't seem to notice or care anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom