News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree with everything people are saying about this not fixing the issues with Harmonious. On the general point about wanting Encanto in the parks, it's logical and once upon a time they added shows and parades or at least a Meet and Greet before these films came out. Being so cautious about adding anything from the latest films to the park beyond the odd sand sculpture unless it's already a proven hit is a relatively recent development.

Define "relatively recent", because Tangled and Frozen were hit movies and it took years to get any sort of presence into the parks beyond a M&G. This, IMHO, has been a hallmark of the Iger "de-risk" philosophy.

Sir_Cliff

Define "relatively recent", because Tangled and Frozen were hit movies and it took years to get any sort of presence into the parks beyond a M&G. This, IMHO, has been a hallmark of the Iger "de-risk" philosophy.
Yes, maybe "relatively" should refer more to the history of the universe as it seems to have been the way more or less since the beginning of the Iger era. That is kind of weird, now that I think of it, as I remember one of the first things John Lasseter talking about when they brought him in to WDI was how he wanted a quicker turnaround for integrating new films into the parks.

I remember even the characters from Emperor's New Groove appeared in the parks and that was a film they largely tried to bury until it became surprisingly successful.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I thought it was pretty impressive opening a Frozen ride 2 1/2 years after the movie came out.

Valid point, they did get something Frozen-related into the parks without it taking 5+ years. There is also the Frozen show at DHS. Going the "cheap" route and doing an overlay of an existing ride and it taking 2 1/2 years after a movie was a monster hit isn't exactly something to brag about, though. It's basically giving TDO a gold star for giving the bare minimum for effort. IMHO.

(Not directed at anyone, just to be clear) So in the past 15+ years (?), they managed to get one monster movie hit into the parks with more than a M&G in less than 3 years. And Encanto isn't on that level, not by a mile. (Anyone with a young daughter during that time can probably remember attempts to get any kind of merchandise Anna and/or Elsa related was like a quest for the Holy Grail back then, especially an Elsa dress. 😂 ) Don't give me the nonsense about some song being #1 on the Billboard Top 100 as evidence this is a "cultural phenomenon". Plenty of flash-in-the-pans hit #1 and were insignificant within a few months. This movie isn't moving the needle like Frozen did. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but... it isn't. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of other Disney animated movies that could have been used in the parks and still haven't been. Just because a particular movie is your current favorite flavor of the month doesn't mean it should jump the line. And also, once again - Not every movie "deserves" to be in the parks.

SplashJacket

Encanto isn't on that level, not by a mile. (Anyone with a young daughter during that time can probably remember attempts to get any kind of merchandise Anna and/or Elsa related was like a quest for the Holy Grail back then, especially an Elsa dress. 😂 )
Perhaps you don’t perceive it to be on that level because you don’t have a young daughter now?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Valid point, they did get something Frozen-related into the parks without it taking 5+ years. There is also the Frozen show at DHS. Going the "cheap" route and doing an overlay of an existing ride and it taking 2 1/2 years after a movie was a monster hit isn't exactly something to brag about, though. It's basically giving TDO a gold star for giving the bare minimum for effort. IMHO.

(Not directed at anyone, just to be clear) So in the past 15+ years (?), they managed to get one monster movie hit into the parks with more than a M&G in less than 3 years. And Encanto isn't on that level, not by a mile. (Anyone with a young daughter during that time can probably remember attempts to get any kind of merchandise Anna and/or Elsa related was like a quest for the Holy Grail back then, especially an Elsa dress. 😂 ) Don't give me the nonsense about some song being #1 on the Billboard Top 100 as evidence this is a "cultural phenomenon". Plenty of flash-in-the-pans hit #1 and were insignificant within a few months. This movie isn't moving the needle like Frozen did. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but... it isn't. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of other Disney animated movies that could have been used in the parks and still haven't been. Just because a particular movie is your current favorite flavor of the month doesn't mean it should jump the line. And also, once again - Not every movie "deserves" to be in the parks.
Encanto is already getting a space on the DL parade.

The last flash-in-the-pans musically was from Frozen and Aladdin... and Encanto's reign on the charts goes way beyond what they did.

In the first four and a half weeks of Encanto on D+, there has been 7 Billion minutes of it watched.

Perhaps you don't visit Tiktok or perhaps discount it's cultural influence? Still using Facebook? 😜

Movielover

Valid point, they did get something Frozen-related into the parks without it taking 5+ years. There is also the Frozen show at DHS. Going the "cheap" route and doing an overlay of an existing ride and it taking 2 1/2 years after a movie was a monster hit isn't exactly something to brag about, though. It's basically giving TDO a gold star for giving the bare minimum for effort. IMHO
Hey remember, rides are a precious commodity. They have to be careful and base them off of sure fire movie hits, like Mission to Mars and Dinosaur!

😉

(Trigger warning, this post is sarcasm, I know those rides were made before the movies. I love both those rides and movies.. It's a joke people)

CaptainAmerica

I'm sorry, is your position that Encanto is a "flash in the pan," but that Frozen wasn't? Frozen was the flashiest flash in the pan that ever flashed. Moana out-streams Frozen and Frozen II on Disney+, and Encanto is much closer to Moana in quality than Frozen (because Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius and Jennifer Lee... isn't).

"Quality will out," as it were.

ToTBellHop

I'm sorry, is your position that Encanto is a "flash in the pan," but that Frozen wasn't? Frozen was the flashiest flash in the pan that ever flashed. Moana out-streams Frozen and Frozen II on Disney+, and Encanto is much closer to Moana in quality than Frozen (because Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius and Jennifer Lee... isn't).

I don’t understand the Frozen obsession. I think Frozen II is better because there’s some plot, but there are far better Disney animated features.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Funny, Frozen is back on Nielsen's Top Ten streaming movie list.

But, yes, Moana shows up on that list more often.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but they've been tinkering with the finale pyro. These are reportedly new perimeter comet shells. I myself noticed a few other things.
20220302_084334.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom