News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Disone

Except that barge is part of Epcot Forever, so will need to be repaired for the next show.
Hope so. The alternative would be to do Epcot forever with just one barge.

Having said all that I feel like even with the one barge they should be able to do the regular harmonious. Have you seen what these two barges put out during New Year's Eve? I feel like harmonious is not even close to that kind of capacity. While it would be certainly a slightly off center, it's not like the stargate isn't already off center, I think it'd be better to have the full show launching off of one barge rather than the current state.

Touchdown

Also, there may be other reasons. The firework community in Orlando has suffered a huge blow when a warehouse in the area caught fire and killed 3 people. Sea World has suspended their show indefinitely because a lot of what went up in flame was their stock. Universal is running two pyro shows currently. Disney is currently running two different shows at MK and just got Fantasmic running (and running two shows) there may just not be enough local expertise available to fix that barge while also keeping the current shows up and running. Things should hopefully get easier post holiday rush.

Disone

Also, there may be other reasons. The firework community in Orlando has suffered a huge blow when a warehouse in the area caught fire and killed 3 people. Sea World has suspended their show indefinitely because a lot of what went up in flame was their stock. Universal is running two pyro shows currently. Disney is currently running two different shows at MK and just got Fantasmic running (and running two shows) there may just not be enough local expertise available to fix that barge while also keeping the current shows up and running. Things should hopefully get easier post holiday rush.
Tragically it was actually four deaths in that warehouse fire. Terrible, absolutely terrible.

Disney's pyro is separate though from the warehouse so I doubt that that facility would have anything to do with repairing the damaged barge. It's possible though. Either way, terribly tragic story with that warehouse fire. Busch gardens in Tampa also got their fireworks from this facility so they too have suspended their firework show indefinitely.

Touchdown

Wasn’t suggesting Disney didn’t have the shells, just that fireworks engineers were in short supply this time of year and may not be available to hire for unexpected maintenance/repair of a damaged rig.

Disone

Wasn’t suggesting Disney didn’t have the shells, just that fireworks engineers were in short supply this time of year and may not be available to hire for unexpected maintenance/repair of a damaged rig.
I understood. I assumed you were not speaking about inventory levels. Disney buys direct and doesn't go through a warehouse. But I also believe they maintain their fireworks facilities in house. They don't contract out for that either. Not 100% sure on that second part so if someone knows otherwise please share.

This does make me wonder if the barge was damaged beyond repair. I'm sure there's computer technology and all sorts of stuff on that barge that isn't just a floating platform with launch tubes. So perhaps it isn't so much about repairing it so much as it is buying a new one. And there to your point might be where delays are coming.

Does anyone know how long the pyro barge was out after it had its explosion for illuminations reflections of Earth? Could be a good barometer for how long this barge will be out.

gerarar

Premium Member
I understood. I assumed you were not speaking about inventory levels. Disney buys direct and doesn't go through a warehouse. But I also believe they maintain their fireworks facilities in house. They don't contract out for that either. Not 100% sure on that second part so if someone knows otherwise please share.

This does make me wonder if the barge was damaged beyond repair. I'm sure there's computer technology and all sorts of stuff on that barge that isn't just a floating platform with launch tubes. So perhaps it isn't so much about repairing it so much as it is buying a new one. And there to your point might be where delays are coming.

Does anyone know how long the pyro barge was out after it had its explosion for illuminations reflections of Earth? Could be a good barometer for how long this barge will be out.
According to this very site, the inferno barge had its accidentally explosion on Sept 19, 2005. Returned officially on Feb 2, 2006. So about 5 months.

The recent fire occurred on Oct 21. So that gives you until around March of 2023 in a similar timeline, which is around when the 50th Anniversary celebration ends.

The fire at the American Gardens Theater occurred Sept 7.

Sources:

Disone

According to this very site, the inferno barge had its accidentally explosion on Sept 19, 2005. Returned officially on Feb 2, 2006. So about 5 months.

The recent fire occurred on Oct 21. So that gives you until around March of 2023 in a similar timeline, which is around when the 50th Anniversary celebration ends.

The fire at the American Gardens Theater occurred Sept 7.

Sources:
Sincerely, thank you for doing the reseach on that.

Disone

The pyro launch above the American gardens theater also isn't likely to come back at this point. Probably another budget cut as well, sad.
On my last viewing two nights ago, I watched from front center between the two merchandise locations and whatever fired to pierce the laser hard. It did fire from the rear side of the lagoon and center. I assumed the American adventure but that is an assumption. Maybe it's back? Or they found an alternative launch point?

gerarar

Premium Member
On my last viewing two nights ago, I watched from front center between the two merchandise locations and whatever fired to pierce the laser hard. It did fire from the rear side of the lagoon and center. I assumed the American adventure but that is an assumption. Maybe it's back? Or they found an alternative launch point?
You might be thinking of the lagoon perimeters perhaps?

They did rework it a couple weeks after the fire incident where it shoots off from one of the regular pyro barges now.

But afaik, the original comet launch on top of the theater hasn't returned.

Blue arrow pointing to where it originally came from (off-screen), but now we can see one of the smaller barges takes the role. This is in the Someday finale right before the final narration and arms goes off.
Screenshot_20221217_133918.jpg

Disone

You might be thinking of the lagoon perimeters perhaps?

They did rework it a couple weeks after the fire incident where it shoots off from one of the regular pyro barges now.

But afaik, the original comet launch on top of the theater hasn't returned.

Blue arrow pointing to where it originally came from (off-screen), but now we can see one of the smaller barges takes the role. This is in the Someday finale right before the final narration and arms goes off.
View attachment 686058
Definitely not confusing it with the perimeter launches. But I do think that last picture you just posted nails what I saw. Single firework coming from that alternative barge piercing the laser heart above the Stargate. Or at least trying to 🙂

gerarar

Premium Member
Definitely not confusing it with the perimeter launches. But I do think that last picture you just posted nails what I saw. Single firework coming from that alternative barge piercing the laser heart above the Stargate. Or at least trying to 🙂
Ah, I get what you're saying now. Yeah it's (the alternate barge) not directly centered and a little off-center due to the configuration/locations of the barges. But on a good day it pierces the laser heart, but most days when it's windy it's meh.

Thelazer

there may just not be enough local expertise available to fix that barge while also keeping the current shows up and running.

Paying a better rate, treating folks better and overall improvement in management.. might do wonders.
Also stop forcing CDIL's on folks who don't really want to drive a pyro truck, but would do pyro otherwise could help.
Letting there be a true "part time" position and not trying to grab 50 hours of your life.. again could help.

Touchdown

Paying a better rate, treating folks better and overall improvement in management.. might do wonders.
Also stop forcing CDIL's on folks who don't really want to drive a pyro truck, but would do pyro otherwise could help.
Letting there be a true "part time" position and not trying to grab 50 hours of your life.. again could help.
-Again Sea World, Busch Gardens are currently running shows when they don’t all year. MK is running two shows, Fantasmic is running two shows, bowl games are happening, and Universal is running two shows. It’s the most busiest time of the year, and there were four recent tragic deaths.

Disone

-Again Sea World, Busch Gardens are currently running shows when they don’t all year. MK is running two shows, Fantasmic is running two shows, bowl games are happening, and Universal is running two shows. It’s the most busiest time of the year, and there were four recent tragic deaths.
At this time sea world and Busch gardens are no longer running their fireworks shows. RIP to those that tragically lost there lives way too soon.

peter11435

I don’t believe the warehouse fire really has anything to do with the Disney at all. While it was a tragic incident, it has no impact on WDW’s firework operation and infrastructure.

Touchdown

I just feel I’m talking in circles and I’ll just stop, the mob is correct, the only reason the rug hasn’t returned is because Disney is greedy and evil. In no way can it be possible that in a highly specialized field that takes years of experience there is currently no additional staff both within the WDC or locally working for other companies at a time of year when virtually every park in Orlando is running more firework shows then typical and after a horrible tragedy there isn’t dozen of unemployed firework engineers just waiting to be employed and/or work extra shifts to fix the barge. I dont know why I thought otherwise 🙄

peter11435

I just feel I’m talking in circles and I’ll just stop, the mob is correct, the only reason the rug hasn’t returned is because Disney is greedy and evil. In no way can it be possible that in a highly specialized field that takes years of experience there is currently no additional staff both within the WDC or locally working for other companies at a time of year when virtually every park in Orlando is running more firework shows then typical and after a horrible tragedy there isn’t dozen of unemployed firework engineers just waiting to be employed and/or work extra shifts to fix the barge. I dont know why I thought otherwise 🙄
I never said the delay had anything to do with Disney being greedy and evil. The fire was less than two months ago. I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all for it to take this long. It takes times to investigate, determine what needs to be done, plan and schedule the work, procure materials, and actually do it.

Disney didn’t work with the company impacted by the warehouse fire.

I think you’re misunderstanding who would be responsible for rebuilding this barge and what expertise they would need. The people who load Harmonious and other fireworks at WDW every night would not be doing, the people who work at warehouses storing and distributing pyro would not be doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom