News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

DznyRktekt

Oh sweet Mary, mother of a teenage Jesus. That was what 40 years ago? I don't remember, my kids are lucky if i remember stuff 40 minutes from now.
I remember my mom telling my dad that was a waste of gas driving down from NY. I remember my grandmother asking how we like it and us saying we'd rather go to camp.
There was only MK, it was nuclear hot and I remember feeling like we were on the Baattan death march. Lol
Oh come on now. What in the 70's were you passionate about? Surely something at Walt Disney World was unique or interesting to you. Had you ever seen a man-made lake or water bridge before? Not too many monorails were around at the time either.

JohnD

Oh come on now. What in the 70's were you passionate about? Surely something at Walt Disney World was unique or interesting to you. Had you ever seen a man-made lake or water bridge before? Not too many monorails were around at the time either.

How many futuristic buildings had anyone seen at that time with transportation going through it, least of all a monorail?

eliza61nyc

Lol I knew someone was going to make me justify how i felt as a teen? 🙄 ok, No didnt notice the man made lake because 1) we didn't stay onsite so once we got to the park that was it and 2) I grew up with the Ocean on one side and a big A river on the other so a "lake" would have not made me blink and my dad was from Trinidad lol a place with actual blue water.

In the 70s I was passionate about theater, the Jackson five and John Johnson on my school's basketball team.
I lived a train ride from Broadway with a mother who took us to the theater all the time and 4 blocks from the famous Apollo theater where I saw every Motown group there was. John is now a lawyer with Nike and a married father of three, we are still good friends.
Now in the interest of full disclosure I didn't want to go in the 1st place, it was in the "south", which for a kid in the biggest best city in the planet was a prison sentence.
We did not watch wide world of Disney either.
I'm sure we made the best of it, I do remember really liking Haunted Manson but we didn't think it worth the 20 something hour drive.

Last edited:

MAGICFLOP

Perhaps they can change the glob into a Darth Vader helmet and have fireworks shooting out making it look like a light saber and have drone X wing fighters flying around above the water? Would make an excellent compliment to Frozen..

RoE should have been gone years ago.. It was a step down from the original laser show..

(for those that don't recognize sarcasm I can't help you)

Tony the Tigger

And if you’d followed the rest of the discussion, IP only works where it belongs.

Quite an important point.

And “if it belongs” is subjective.

It’s tough using the big kid brains...even at the amusement park.
For me...it’s a distrust of this management. Because the quick score mentality of Wall Street supports him...doesn’t mean they’re right.

The truth is they don’t care about the future...I do.

That’s my hill.

Do you hear yourself?

The problem is not with people who go with the flow. Some of you have an irrational sense of entitlement about WDW. It’s not yours. They don’t owe you any consideration.

If you want a voice, become an Imagineer.

So the market says run for profit...

Amazon is $1926 a share right now...Disney is $109...

Therefore Disney should strive to replicate Amazons model to maximize shareholder return?

Right...we do simple Econ here...that’s the way to go. There are no other factors 💰

You don’t get it. If you did, you’d realize there is no choice in the matter. You meet their expectations, or you fail. I’d love to see that change, but in the meantime, that’s how it is.

Wishing won’t help.

Wait, a man-made lake is impressive now?

Creating something original (with IP or not) on and above a lake (man-made or not) every night that resonates emotionally with so many different kinds of people is impressive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And “if it belongs” is subjective.

Do you hear yourself?

The problem is not with people who go with the flow. Some of you have an irrational sense of entitlement about WDW. It’s not yours. They don’t owe you any consideration.

If you want a voice, become an Imagineer.

You don’t get it. If you did, you’d realize there is no choice in the matter. You meet their expectations, or you fail. I’d love to see that change, but in the meantime, that’s how it is.

Wishing won’t help.

Wait, a man-made lake is impressive now?

Creating something original (with IP or not) on and above a lake (man-made or not) every night that resonates emotionally with so many different kinds of people is impressive.

Yeah...none of any of that means anything...standard patronization from the Disney defender...

You won’t cross them...I haven’t seen you tiptoe there even once...so then everything is structured around not questioning them. I ‘m never sure if those that do this even realize it? It’s as easy to identify as “negativity”...and certainly no more refined.

I hate to make it so rudimentary...but this is a recurrent pattern and it’s been around along time.

I’m not standing in judgement...sure I take the skepticism too far and that’s my curse at times. But it’s not MORE of an issue in the discussion...by any stretch.

I don’t think disney “owes” me anything...not one bit. I can exercise my own control. But Giving them whatever they ask for and saying anything goes is very shortsighted. That’s an opinion but it is a reasonable one.

And don’t parse laisse faire defense. The Amazon example is a good one. Either you want disney to act like a blood sucking stock ticker company or you have to be willing to say there is more to them than just any old Econ chapter quiz...
You have to decide where your loyalty lies...to the brand or the Bucks?
It’s not always the same thing.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
10 straight pages of the same old carp.

“Disney is supposed to be fun. Dur. I had fun on the frozen ride. So therefore it’s properly placed, I like cupcakes. Dur” so on and so forth.

This forum used to be great. People who appreciated what Disney strove to be. People who loved what WDW was meant to be. People who wanted to be inspired, educated, whisked away to a magical place....

Now, replaced by folks who treat Disney as an alternative to Six Flags. Or compare WDW to Cedar Fair. It’s just a different type of fan. And really, it’s not very fun to discuss WDW with someone who’s comparing Big Thunder to Batman the ride.

Back to my hole I go.

Marc Davis Fan

So MagicFeather - and I believe others - keep saying the RoE replacement will in some respects be like TDS’s Fantasmic! The defining characteristic about that version of the show (compared with the US versions) is the rising Sorcerer Mickey Hat stage. Therefore, my guess based on those comments is that there will be some kind of very large stage or similar set piece that rises up or otherwise mechanically changes form, probably with screens or other image-producing lighting effects.

MagicFeather also referenced We Go On. Maybe this means the song will be staying and/or the big rising/“shape-shifting” set piece will be a new version of the globe?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
10 straight pages of the same old carp.

“Disney is supposed to be fun. Dur. I had fun on the frozen ride. So therefore it’s properly placed, I like cupcakes. Dur” so on and so forth.

This forum used to be great. People who appreciated what Disney strove to be. People who loved what WDW was meant to be. People who wanted to be inspired, educated, whisked away to a magical place....

Now, replaced by folks who treat Disney as an alternative to Six Flags. Or compare WDW to Cedar Fair. It’s just a different type of fan. And really, it’s not very fun to discuss WDW with someone who’s comparing Big Thunder to Batman the ride.

Back to my hole I go.

...you got any snacks in that hole??

Tony the Tigger

Yeah...none of any of that means anything...standard patronization from the Disney defender...

You won’t cross them...I haven’t seen you tiptoe there even once...so then everything is structured around not questioning them. I ‘m never sure if those that do this even realize it? It’s as easy to identify as “negativity”...and certainly no more refined.

I hate to make it so rudimentary...but this is a recurrent pattern and it’s been around along time.

I’m not standing in judgement...sure I take the skepticism too far and that’s my curse at times. But it’s not MORE of an issue in the discussion...by any stretch.

I don’t think disney “owes” me anything...not one bit. I can exercise my own control. But Giving them whatever they ask for and saying anything goes is very shortsighted. That’s an opinion but it is a reasonable one.

And don’t parse laisse faire defense. The Amazon example is a good one. Either you want disney to act like a blood sucking stock ticker company or you have to be willing to say there is more to them than just any old Econ chapter quiz...
You have to decide where your loyalty lies...to the brand or the Bucks?
It’s not always the same thing.

Every public company is a stock ticker company. Get used to it, you’re sounding like an idealistic 26 year old.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every public company is a stock ticker company. Get used to it, you’re sounding like an idealistic 26 year old.

You should do some historical research on why companies have and haven’t succeeded...their ebbs and flows. Focus on entertainment companies.

And boy do I wish I was 26...I would be in Orlando canoodling with the Cast.
The jokes worked great years ago...but I have so much new material now 😜

flynnibus

Premium Member

This type of mindset tho is the polar opposite of what drew us all here in the first place. If the goal is to simply 'conform' and accept 'status quo' - then the uniqueness of Disney's products would never exist, and they won't going forward. Disney just becomes another flavor of the rank and file.

If the answer to losing a fight, is to give in and concede everything... you'd never get past one defeat. We'd have more DCA v1.0 instead of people pushing to return to things like Carsland.

I get someone may say "I dont want to hear it..." - but to suggest "there is no hope, conform and be happy" is like throwing ideals into the toilet.

Tony the Tigger

This type of mindset tho is the polar opposite of what drew us all here in the first place. If the goal is to simply 'conform' and accept 'status quo' - then the uniqueness of Disney's products would never exist, and they won't going forward. Disney just becomes another flavor of the rank and file.

If the answer to losing a fight, is to give in and concede everything... you'd never get past one defeat. We'd have more DCA v1.0 instead of people pushing to return to things like Carsland.

I get someone may say "I dont want to hear it..." - but to suggest "there is no hope, conform and be happy" is like throwing ideals into the toilet.

You have to play by the rules until the rules change. Magic is awesome. Outside WDW, reality rules the day.

How does this play out for you guys? WDW becomes a museum? They spend so much on TSL that they miss projections, stock goes down, wealth is wiped out, people lose jobs or hours, improvements slow down...you can’t just pretend that doesn’t affect things because: artistic integrity.

These things are true: a movie producer, however experienced, isn’t going to get an indie film greenlit until he/she has a commercial hit. Bruce Springsteen had to care how well his albums sold until he had enough money to make whatever music he wants, whether anyone buys it or not.

And when you don’t meet Wall Street projections, no matter how arbitrary or ignorance-based they are, you have at least temporarily failed and will take some public humiliation and sometimes real financial loss.

No exceptions for righteous indignation.

Carry on with groupthink. Enjoy the new show or be bitter over IP. (How miserable is that?)

67896D87-4511-4854-BA38-5288A7656A5F.jpeg

mikejs78

Premium Member
That may sound good, but best to aim for the majority and stay in business/continue growing.

That's exactly the way to kill a business, or at least stagnate and become a low-growth, legacy company that will eventually be disrupted. The most successful companies don't give the majority what they *want*. They give them what they didn't know they wanted. Take Apple. No one wanted an iPhone. Yet Apple had the genius to reinvent the mobile phone, and give people something completely new. Or take Uber. Did anyone want ride sharing? No, Uber assessed a need, married that need with modern technology, and created a successful company giving people what they didn't know they wanted.

Disney has always been the type of company to act in this manner. Who knew that people wanted a feature-length animated film? Most people thought Walt was crazy, terming the feature "Disney's Folly" - yet here we are. Disneyland was the same thing. Disneyland made it's mark, not because it catered to "what the majority wanted" but rather it created imaginitive ideas that people would love, but werent what they would have asked for had they asked.

Epcot is Disney's epitome of this idea. A park that, on the surface, seems like it should have failed, should have been a disaster. Yet instead it's one of the most unique theme parks in the world, one that has captured the imagination of millions.

It's one way, and a reliable way. I personally believe in a multi-pronged approach. But I'd start with the low-hanging fruit. It's the most efficient way to go.

I think the Disney of 1978 or 1985 would if they failed to adapt to the realities of business in 2018 as you apparently have.

The realities of business in 2018 are to disrupt or face disruption. That doesn't involve playing it safe, hitting low hanging fruit, or building product that simy tries to cater to what people want.

azox

The music of Illumination was always incredible. IMHO, so was the whole display.

I still have dreams tied to the RoE music. I guess that is a personal problem. :)

I agree the music is incredible no matter how many times I have listened to it. I recently heard a "light" version of illuminations ROE music at the beginning of one of mickey views videos:

Has anyone else heard this version before and have any idea where it's from?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom