News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I still don’t see the much-berated posts where people say they never want anything to change. I do see plenty of posts where people want the new ideas to be as innovative and groundbreaking as the originals were at the time they opened. @marni1971

Yeah...but that doesn’t work if you want to play the victim for only wanting Mickey type stuff and aren’t willing to defend it other than “I have fun when I’m there!!”

But that’s not the debate...the core debate is what will you do if you have four stale parks with no immersive themes in 10 years and even YOU get bored?

Mail it to me in a letter...because we “haters” that have poured half of our lives into Disney will be long gone. Hence the warnings.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Companies like Amazon continue to prove that you can innovate and keep the market happy without simply resorting to cutting costs. "the race to the botom" is real.. and not a way to create a disruptive, innovative company that will be sustaining for years to come.

Companies like Apple, or service based companies hook their customers on "value" instead of purely price. Disney always did that and no reason to believe his philosophy would have changed. He was willing to cut and run.. and trim where necessary to deliver what he wanted in an end product. That's what the forward thinkers do... the people that just manage the numbers will sit still and keep squeezing the stone until the world passes them by.

Amazon is stingy with their employees and charges me something like 33% of everything I sell on their site. I wouldn’t exactly hold them up as a shining example. They are taking from me and their employees to give everybody free shipping at our expense.

ToTBellHop

And that can be stuff with IP
Yes. But Disney no longer appropriately uses IP in Epcot. The characters meeting in World Showcase in an appropriate pavilion was fine. I even liked Nemo in The Living Seas (as a way to make education more approachable to kids and, if we are honest, to keep the pavilion open). But then they built that awful Nemo ride. Then Gran Fiesta. Then Frozen. There's nothing subtle or nuanced in IP introduction any more and they've entirely given up on the original ideals of the park. At least at DAK, they still think it's acceptable to educate AND thrill guests.

brb1006

Sort of kiinda agree. definitely with Amazon but my company worked with HP and basically the company refused to update and reinvent themselves in the printer market, they stubbornly held onto the old, the competition finally caught up to them especially in the soho market (small office, home office, they division I work with). If you don't change you die.
Disney is not staying stagnant, they are updating and giving the consumer what they want. The problem is people here don't like the changes. The Epcot in those videos some one sent me would not and could not work today.
just my opinion
I agree with you, I hope the mouseworld doesn't stay stagnant and become another HP, I hope Disney does not keep following the notion of running the parks like it was 1970 and offering old stuff.

Again I'm not saying this new show is going to be better, I reserve judgement to I actually see it.
When did you first visit WDW?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amazon is stingy with their employees and charges me something like 33% of everything I sell on their site. I wouldn’t exactly hold them up as a shining example. They are taking from me and their employees to give everybody free shipping at our expense.

Well the guy is the richest dude on earth...and they are horrid to work for and encourage sweatshop economies...

But the “market” that is held up constantly here says that’s correct...

So by extension...Disney should run like that, correct?

Disney is worth far less than amazon...as is its stock. Free market knows all.

Which is it?

Tony the Tigger

Well the guy is the richest dude on earth...and they are horrid to work for and encourage sweatshop economies...

But the “market” that is held up constantly here says that’s correct...

So by extension...Disney should run like that, correct?

Disney is worth far less than amazon...as is its stock. Free market knows all.

Which is it?

The market is not “held up.“ I never said I support it or that it is correct. I am acknowledging the reality that no single company can change the rules by which every other company is judged and run today.

eliza61nyc

Yeah...but that doesn’t work if you want to play the victim for only wanting Mickey type stuff and aren’t willing to defend it other than “I have fun when I’m there!!”

But that’s not the debate...the core debate is what will you do if you have four stale parks with no immersive parks in 10 years and even YOU get bored?

Mail it to me in a letter...because we “haters” that have poured half of our lives into Disney will be long gone. Hence the warnings.
Lol, but when we tell you to stop going that's a bad thing, lol. Listen I've said all the time if you don't like the direction any place is going stop giving them your dough.

I've already said the nanosecond I come back from the world with all the complaints I see here is the nanosecond I sell my dvc. Now I also always say I didn't go during the glory years so maybe by the time I started going there slide already began and it's not that noticeable to me. Not sure what is wrong with using having fun as a barometer for a good vacation, again maybe its me but pretty much that's why i go to Disney, Im not there to learn anything, I'm there to escape from my real life. I still find Disney an excellent value, again I dont measure my vacations by what happened 10 years ago, my yardstick us what is offered today, 2018 and so far the mouse is still a great deal.

So as for illuminations, I did love it but after seeing it for the last what 15 years, I don't mind them bringing something new. I also don't mind seeing characters or other IP and I cant imagine a show having characters making it any way similar to Magic kingdom. I do reserve judgment until the show actually happens. My gut feeling is no matter what they do, it's not going to be illuminations so people are going to gripe. It's a no win situation.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol, but when we tell you to stop going that's a bad thing, lol. Listen I've said all the time if you don't like the direction any place is going stop giving them your dough.

I've already said the nanosecond I come back from the world with all the complaints I see here is the nanosecond I sell my dvc. Now I also always say I didn't go during the glory years so maybe by the time I started going there slide already began and it's not that noticeable to me. Not sure what is wrong with using having fun as a barometer for a good vacation, again maybe its me but pretty much that's why i go to Disney, Im not there to learn anything, I'm there to escape from my real life. I still find Disney an excellent value, again I dont measure my vacations by what happened 10 years ago, my yardstick us what is offered today, 2018 and so far the mouse is still a great deal.

There’s a difference between the short term desire for “new stuff” and the long term foundations of their parks.

Neither is unimportant...both have to be balanced. If the goal is only to keep people happy for their one week a year or ever couple of years and have them turn it off when they leave...it will result in a collective, non descript mess...

It’s tough using the big kid brains...even at the amusement park.
For me...it’s a distrust of this management. Because the quick score mentality of Wall Street supports him...doesn’t mean they’re right.

The truth is they don’t care about the future...I do.

That’s my hill.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The market is not “held up.“ I never said I support it or that it is correct. I am acknowledging the reality that no single company can change the rules by which every other company is judged and run today.

So the market says run for profit...

Amazon is $1926 a share right now...Disney is $109...

Therefore Disney should strive to replicate Amazons model to maximize shareholder return?

Right...we do simple Econ here...that’s the way to go. There are no other factors 💰

flynnibus

Premium Member

I didn't say they were model citizens... I said they are forward in how they decide the products to launch and how they are sold.

If you don't like their fees... you can always build your own marketplace and try getting the same exposure :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How was WDW dull?

Well...if you went in the summer it was a crowded mess and kinda a swamp still with a magic kingdom.

It was never “dull”...because you didn’t have an iPhone or Netflix to keep you from boredom. You had walter kronkite, mash, and highlights magazine.

But it didn’t really Become what we know and loved until Eisner...he really built the juggernaut.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

How was WDW dull?
Oh sweet Mary, mother of a teenage Jesus. That was what 40 years ago? I don't remember, my kids are lucky if i remember stuff 40 minutes from now.
I remember my mom telling my dad that was a waste of gas driving down from NY. I remember my grandmother asking how we like it and us saying we'd rather go to camp.
There was only MK, it was nuclear hot and I remember feeling like we were on the Baattan death march. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom