News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Probably not filtering in the sense of making the water biologically clean, but I'd imagine there has to be some kind of debris filter. They are going to want to protect the pipe work and nozzles from being blocked with firework debris or anything else that gets sucked up. I'm thinking something like a pool skimmer type of setup.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am willing to reserve judgement until I see it in person. The depth of field collapses in the photo and is not representative of how it looks in person.
In my opinion, the old Illuminations globe was lost in the vast size of the lagoon. People struggled and had to be mindful to get a particular viewing spot whereas I feel these large barges are better scaled for the space and will be more visible, in a GOOD way, to the guests around the lagoon.
As has been said there were better alternatives. DisneySea Fant showed what they can do.

Hell, even SkyDance proposed projection mapping video onto each pavilion. Instead they go with large immobile junks of eyesore.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I am willing to reserve judgement until I see it in person. The depth of field collapses in the photo and is not representative of how it looks in person.
In my opinion, the old Illuminations globe was lost in the vast size of the lagoon. People struggled and had to be mindful to get a particular viewing spot whereas I feel these large barges are better scaled for the space and will be more visible, in a GOOD way, to the guests around the lagoon.

I reserved final judgment until I saw them in person. They are visually jarring. In fact, the pictures don’t really capture the scale you see in person, they are bigger than what pictures tend to show.

aliceismad

And if they were movable, that would be ok.

Surferboy567

I definitely understand where everyone is coming from on the views of the barges. They definitely aren’t ideal in any way. At least according to the pictures I have seen it doesn’t look great on the lagoon. Their are a couple of things I would like to mention though.

During the mist testing that occurred, think I saw that mentioned here as well that mist is likely used for lasers during the show. I don’t think that is supposed to be the fountain effect for the barges. If it is then, yeah that also isn’t ideal but I don’t think it is.

Even with all the negative reactions and input I have seen I am still excited for the show. Maybe it’s false hope but I really think the show itself has a chance to be great. Then again, I don’t mind the IP as much as others.

Still reserving judgement till I see the actual fountains, and show in operation.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Probably not filtering in the sense of making the water biologically clean, but I'd imagine there has to be some kind of debris filter. They are going to want to protect the pipe work and nozzles from being blocked with firework debris or anything else that gets sucked up. I'm thinking something like a pool skimmer type of setup.
Which will most likely never be cleaned out. In the end they’re recirculating swamp water through complicated and sensitive pumps, valves, and nozzles; then spraying it all over giant HD screens and sensitive moving components and electronics. What do you really think the end result is going to be....?

TTA94

Can’t really tell but I’m wondering if any of the fountains will have moving capabilities? Some of them you can tell won’t move, like the nozzles on the sides of the barges, nor do those have light. I don’t think the fountains on the arms will be moving either?

Disstevefan1

These barges look very technically advanced, like HUGE un skinned animatronics! And look to have cost ALOT of money to create. I just think they are ugly, kill the views, and will be too hard to maintain.

Let’s see what happens.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
These barges look very technically advanced, like HUGE un skinned animatronics! And look to have cost ALOT of money to create. I just think they are ugly, kill the views, and will be too hard to maintain.

Let’s see what happens.
Is it too negative to hope it ends up like ROL v2?

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

am I ready correctly? The day time sight lines will be OK because the taco screenz will protect water -- I assume this is to appear as if it is part of the lake water?

We went to the park in DEC for the first time in 7 years and I was just surprised to see the one barge!

Attachments

• taco.jpg
    taco.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 105
  • taco1.jpg
    taco1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 88
  • taco2.jpg
    taco2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 109

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
am I ready correctly? The day time sight lines will be OK because the taco screenz will protect water -- I assume this is to appear as if it is part of the lake water?

We went to the park in DEC for the first time in 7 years and I was just surprised to see the one barge!
The idea is that during the daytime the barges will be fountains using a combination of real water and possibly video displayed on the LED panels.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Bursting into flames would be nice! I would not be sad to see these barges just floated back stage to rot in the Florida sun. It’s too bad they wasted so much money on this when EPCOT still looks like a construction site.

I hope it all works out and I am wrong about this “impugn in the lagoon”
That is what happens when you have too many cooks in the kitchen with their heads cut off like chickens. The left arm isn't communicating with right arm, or maybe they are just armless? :D

Father Robinson

As has been said there were better alternatives. DisneySea Fant showed what they can do.

Hell, even SkyDance proposed projection mapping video onto each pavilion. Instead they go with large immobile junks of eyesore.
Is there even the faintest shred of hope that at some point they may have the capability and willingness to store them backstage during the day?

Edit: regardless of the fountain idea.

TrainsOfDisney

I like to use hyperbole often too, but Dollywood or Epcot? Dollywood just isn't for me, I'm not a coaster fan.
Dollywood is not a coaster park, although they do have some very unique coasters.

For train fans Dollywood has the best narrow gauge steam train ride east of Colorado with coal burning steam locomotives tackling 3.5% grades. Doesn’t get better than that.

They have great live entertainment including theatre shows, bird show, and atmosphere entertainment. (They have 2 fantastic string bands as well as Miss Lillian, one of the best streetmosphere performers you’ll ever find.)

They have a bald eagle sanctuary where you can see eagles that currently can’t survive in the wild in a natural habitat.

Lots of craft demonstrations - glass blowing, leather Smith, blacksmith, candle making, etc.

Season Fireworks.

Trust me... it’s a great theme park and well worth a visit as is sister park Silver Dollar City.

One, maybe only, thing exciting about this is all the lighting. At least Harm should be very, bright. Actually in all seriousness this could be the largest use of lighting they have done in a nighttime show?

Certainly the largest use of exposed lighting fixtures. I’m guessing world of color has more fixtures though. Fantasmic might as well but not sure.

TTA94

Not necessarily related to Harm, well, in a way it is. I wonder if by the time Harm debuts or October if they will have enough of “World Celebration” done where guests can walk through again?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom