News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

flyerjab

Wright was not contrasting the linearity of mid-century modern architecture against a natural backdrop. Not even close. Wright was responding to specific sites, not contrasting against them. So much of his work is linear because it is relating to the linearity of the site. He did not do angled roofs to be hip or contrast with nature, but as a direct response to the local conditions. He often used local stones and woods as part of complimenting nature. Wright called his style “organic” because it was very site specific and saw himself as opposed to other Modernists like Le Corbusier and Meis whose work he viewed as having a complete disregard for site.

"A masterful architectural designer, Wright developed a unique vocabulary of space, form, and pattern that represented a dramatic shift in design from the traditional houses of the day. Characterized by dramatic horizontal lines and masses, the Prairie buildings that emerged in the first decade of the twentieth century evoke the expansive Midwestern landscape. The buildings reflect an all-encompassing philosophy that Wright termed “Organic Architecture.” By this Wright meant that architecture should be suited to its environment and be a product of its place, purpose and time."

https://flwright.org/researchexplore/prairiestyle

Disstevefan1

Beautiful concept art. Another beautiful DVC resort.

Why does Disney continue to build so many DVCs?

That's an easy question, DVC owners effectively pay for vacations decades in advance and pay dues for the life time of their ownership. The Walt Disney Company makes a LOT of money from DVC. As long as folks keep buying, Disney will keep building.

Do most owners see value in their ownership of DVC?

Sure! So its a win win for the DVC owner and Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A very shallow comparison. At best it’s a few elements copied without regard for their actual role in the design.
Is that not what "influence" often is? It does not have to be a fundamental design philosophy that is carried all the way from the exterior to the napkin rings. Influence tends to be no more complicated then "Make our thing look like that thing!".

nickys

Premium Member
You are an incredibly bright individual by all indications...

But you have to stop believing the nonsense from “the company”...especially DVC.

That is an economic social experiment going on in bon bini bay. Sometimes if it waddles and quacks....Disney can’t make it a chicken

DVC is an economic social experiment?

peter11435

So the label matters more than what’s being built?
What’s being built is not Caribbean themed, is a different style of accommodation, and will include its own amenities. It all matters. You’re just choosing to ignore it all. It’s irrelevent if Disney chooses to streamline some back of house operations. It is it’s own seperate resort.

Missing20K

Is that not what "influence" often is? It does not have to be a fundamental design philosophy that is carried all the way from the exterior to the napkin rings. Influence tends to be no more complicated then "Make our thing look like that thing!".

I would tend to believe what you describe as imitation. "Make this look like that" oftentimes distills an entire design into it's most simple elements, oftentimes used out of context.

Utilizing a philosophy or style to inform the design decisions of a project is what I would consider "influence". If one were to use the Wright example, they may have used the swamp and wetlands as their guide, as that is the environment in which the site resides, an important distinction in Organic Architecture. Using the Prairie style makes zero sense as it arose out of the landscape of the Midwest. If one could even argue this is a Prairie style, which I would argue it is not.

nickys

Premium Member
They redid OPR to avoid spending enough on amenities at the new DVC as a stand-alone.

We don’t need the fbi to Investigate this one. They have done this at every single DVC since wilderness lodge - the first one.

It makes sense...So you can’t really criticize it too much.
But why in the hell deny it??

WL was not the first DVC ....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What’s being built is not Caribbean themed, is a different style of accommodation, and will include its own amenities. It all matters. You’re just choosing to ignore it all. It’s irrelevent if Disney chooses to streamline some back of house operations. It is it’s own seperate resort.

I’m not talking about “theme”...I’m talking quality/investment in construction and operation angle(s) that appear to be in play.

The truth will be known soon...I’m very intrigued to see it when it opens...for myself. Reviews can’t be trusted at all because they have become so heavidly biased.

But in the first had view you can get the feel for the place in about 10 minutes flat.

It worked for me on avatar and toy story...Star Wars is next.

Naplesgolfer

You see similarities in a 2000 room meat factory to housing experiments 1940-1960??

...the force is not with you here
They built a DVC tower in the middle of Caribbean Beach Resort. You are arguing semantics here. It's tiring.

They have different names. You check in in separate spots. You
So the label matters more than what’s being built?

They demolished Caribbean beach's check -in. Then they remodeled the food area so they could have a lobby there. Riviera was built on the water and near Epcot and DHS to be on the Skyliner so they wanted this parcel of land for it. This and proximity doesn't make them in anyway the same resort.

peter11435

I’m not talking about “theme”...I’m talking quality/investment in construction and operation angle(s) that appear to be in play.

The truth will be known soon...I’m very intrigued to see it when it opens...for myself. Reviews can’t be trusted at all because they have become so heavidly biased.

But in the first had view you can get the feel for the place in about 10 minutes flat.

It worked for me on avatar and toy story...Star Wars is next.

I’m only talking about theme as one of many pieces. Remember that puzzle you were speaking of. You are ignoring the other pieces to suit your agenda.

So you only pay attention to bad reviews?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom