News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have different names. You check in in separate spots. You

They demolished Caribbean beach's check -in. Then they remodeled the food area so they could have a lobby there. Riviera was built on the water and near Epcot and DHS to be on the Skyliner so they wanted this parcel of land for it. This and proximity doesn't make them in anyway the same resort.

Ok...I’m definitely withdrawing from this tail chasing...but I have to comment on customs house.

Customs house never worked. Not one day. It’s loss is not a “sacrifice”.

A detached checkin was never constructed again...because detachment from food and shops lost revenue and cost more. More management needed in a detached location...bell services requiring more automobile expenses...disgruntlement as sometimes the checkin snaked 2 hours with no diversion....a safety hazard - as masses of people and cars darting in and out between the primary entry and exit point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you working on the Riviera project or something?

It’s not an insult to say the properties are tied together. You are behaving in an extremely odd fashion.
I’m not denying the properties are tied together. They are. But, they are not the same resort. Nor is either a part of the other.

I’m not arguing your opinion...even if I don’t share it...

But you seem to be REALLY pushing it too hard. It’s coming off as something I would expect from the overly upbeat CM or the segment that moved to Orlando to go to Disney everyday/don’t get out of town enough.

Lol...now that that’s said...typically I like most of what you say - evidence to the contrary 🤪

nickys

Premium Member
I believe he was referring to it as being the first DVC addition to an existing resort that shares operations with the existing resort.

Except the Boardwalk opened 4 years earlier.

Regardless, nothing will stop him argueing his view until it opens. Actually, that won’t stop him either, even when it is shown to be a completely separate resort with all it’s own facilities, he’ll still argue. The fact this is being marketed as Disney Riviera Resort, not Riviera at CBR, like every other shared facilities DVC resort, is apparently not enough. And I’m certainly not giving him access to the DVC stuff about it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I’m not denying the properties are tied together. They are. But, they are not the same resort. Nor is either a part of the other.
Ok. Well that's where this whole thing came from. I said it doesn't make sense for Disney to do standalone DVC resorts anymore. That's all. Jeepers.

Jon81uk

Ok...I’m definitely withdrawing from this tail chasing...but I have to comment on customs house.

Customs house never worked. Not one day. It’s loss is not a “sacrifice”.

A detached checkin was never constructed again...because detachment from food and shops lost revenue and cost more. More management needed in a detached location...bell services requiring more automobile expenses...disgruntlement as sometimes the checkin snaked 2 hours with no diversion....a safety hazard - as masses of people and cars darting in and out between the primary entry and exit point.

Also the idea of Custom House (and parts of Carribean Beach resort in general) was very car centric, drive in and check-in, drive to your building and park close to your hotel room, drive to the theme parks etc.
But now with more people arriving by Magical Express the idea of having everything in one place, and of smaller resorts with less walking (ie towers rather than sprawling motel style) is much more appealing.

Naplesgolfer

But you seem to be REALLY pushing it too hard. It’s coming off as something I would expect from the overly upbeat CM or the segment that moved to Orlando to go to Disney everyday/don’t get out of town enough.

Lol...now that that’s said...typically I like most of what you say - evidence to the contrary 🤪

That's it resort to insults. So well thought out of you.

peter11435

Thankfully I’m neither of those things.

I think you’re pushing your opinion REALLY hard and it comes off as a disgruntled former Cast Member...

spacemt354

Chili's
He never argued they were the same resort - he said sister resorts, which I mean, it's semantics at that point. Beach/Yacht are sister resorts and are separate resorts, yet share some common traits, locations. That being said, this is not a DVC Resort *for* Caribbean Beach akin to BLT for the Contemporary. I think this debate has gone on long enough.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My word twisting...

I think the Caribbean DVC - whatever the hell its called - is being built to recenter their market...in a number of ways

You keep making the point about a new price structure for moderates and/or DVC. And by "keep making", I mean you keep saying it over and over and over again. We get it. You have a theory. We'll see if it comes true. What's its PCQ?

There are things going against your theory:
  • Riviera will only have 300 rooms in that giant tower. This means, at least to me, they're getting full luxury suites. As to other luxe features:
  • Riviera was built at the north end of CBR so as to have the prime real estate of overlooking Epcot and the fireworks (note that when Riviera is finished, Epcot's getting a brand new fireworks show).
  • Riviera will have it's own gondola stop, giving it access to two two parks by a special transportation mode (usually a sign of a deluxe).
  • Just look at the new art work for Coronado's tower... Riviera will have similar or better luxe public spaces and rooftop restaurant/lounge/viewing area.
  • And, as mentioned, the theming of Riviera is far, far from the Caribbean. They're going with Mediterranean. Different sea.
All this, BTW, is arguments for why Riviera is not just an extension of CBR. Sure, CBR just had all its rooms refurbished and a new town/resort center built and will have its own gondola stop, but it's the same for Pop and AoA (with the exception of having to build a new Center because the old one was demolished). That's not a sign of linkage between CBR and Riviera.

Many people have theorized about WDW building Moderate-level DVC. And many have argued the difficulty of managing points if that were the case. Additionally, do you expect Disney to develop a class of DVC with a lower margin of profit?

At one time, one could find Old Key West or Saratoga Springs listed under either the Moderate or Deluxe category of resorts. Now, all DVC is listed under the category "Deluxe Villas" on MDE. While in the mind of some propinquity equals unity, you can be sure that WDW will draw a bright line between them and will not create a "Moderate Villas" category.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You keep making the point about a new price structure for moderates and/or DVC. And by "keep making", I mean you keep saying it over and over and over again. We get it. You have a theory. We'll see if it comes true. What's its PCQ?

There are things going against your theory:
  • Riviera will only have 300 rooms in that giant tower. This means, at least to me, they're getting full luxury suites. As to other luxe features:
  • Riviera was built at the north end of CBR so as to have the prime real estate of overlooking Epcot and the fireworks (note that when Riviera is finished, Epcot's getting a brand new fireworks show).
  • Riviera will have it's own gondola stop, giving it access to two two parks by a special transportation mode (usually a sign of a deluxe).
  • Just look at the new art work for Coronado's tower... Riviera will have similar or better luxe public spaces and rooftop restaurant/lounge/viewing area.
  • And, as mentioned, the theming of Riviera is far, far from the Caribbean. They're going with Mediterranean. Different sea.
All this, BTW, is arguments for why Riviera is not just an extension of CBR. Sure, CBR just had all its rooms refurbished and a new town/resort center built and will have its own gondola stop, but it's the same for Pop and AoA (with the exception of having to build a new Center because the old one was demolished). That's not a sign of linkage between CBR and Riviera.

Many people have theorized about WDW building Moderate-level DVC. And many have argued the difficulty of managing points if that were the case. Additionally, do you expect Disney to develop a class of DVC with a lower margin of profit?

At one time, one could find Old Key West or Saratoga Springs listed under either the Moderate or Deluxe category of resorts. Now, all DVC is listed under the category "Deluxe Villas" on MDE. While in the mind of some propinquity equals unity, you can be sure that WDW will draw a bright line between them and will not create a "Moderate Villas" category.

I was responding to a direct question without elaboration...left it at that.

And you are???

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thankfully I’m neither of those things.

I think you’re pushing your opinion REALLY hard and it comes off as a disgruntled former Cast Member...

Which is not the case...I just follow patterns on the longterm. I got more out of them than I ever intended to...then went to the real world.

If I was disgruntled...my accountant would be a lot happier with me 😜

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not really sure how you can make this argument given your posting history.

It’s the truth...it’s not a case/argument.

I’m far from always right...but what always happens is people get mad/dig in their heels when I don’t give deference to the walt disney company. They deserve none. That doesn’t mean I don’t give a ton of credit for history - that’s why I love it. But the blinders about the present should be off. I protect myself as a consumer. Everyone should. Make no excuse for the nyse.

So people snit and don’t look at my theories/arguments...and usually that doesn’t turn out well. They see the name and try to patronize...that’s the clay I mold with.

I like the dialogue...i like for a case to be made that changes my mind. It’s great when it happens. And it’s a good way to kill time - as long as we don’t have gnomes running around trying to sell their travel agencies.

Now we can tap a keg of spaten and lift our steins in brotherhood.

Kingtut

I welcome another great resort but what is fixing the issue with the parks being so packed. You are adding more rooms which means more guests in the parks. Adding Star Wars will only bring the Disney buffs but also adding the Star Wars folks as well. I just got home yesterday from a week down there and the lines are insane for mid-October.

There has not really been any significant park expansions in terms of added space. When do they decide to buck up and spend domestically and add a 5th park to help move the guests around the property more. I understand it will bring additional guests with a new park, but also alieviate some of the pressure of the other parks.

I went to MNSSHP on Tuesday and in all of my years I have never seen the lines at a party like I did on Tuesday, for both rides and Trick or Treating. Space was 45-60 mins all night and the line was out the door. Usually it’s walk on. Trick or treat lines queued. Usually those were walk up. It felt like a normal ticket day. One of my co workers went last week and went on a Tuesday to the party and said she wished she had not spent the extra $500 for the party because the crowds were so insane.
I think the end game is that staying on-site will guarantee you entrance to the parks where as the great unwashed masses ( myself included) who stay off site will be severely restricted when the parks are at whatever capacity Disney determines for the day. With analytics Disney could even start saying something like - "On Date XX we anticipate having to limit admittance to park number N to only 14 off site visitors"
This would provide more incentive to stay on site and also provide a number of up-sell opportunities.

Kingtut

Same here. It is not like anything he has done looks remotely similar to this design.

portecochere-oct2018-750x356-1539889059.jpg

reisley-house-exterior.jpg

FLW-parklands.jpg

palmer-house.jpg
Well at least the car is different!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom