News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They are seperate resorts. Proximity is irrelevant. That would be like saying the Polynesian has a convention center because it’s adjacent to the Grand Floridian. CBR is not a DVC property and will not have DVC accommodations.
It's not really quite the same. They annexed part of Caribbean to build the Riviera. They are updating Caribbean along with this build as well. Riviera and Caribbean are, at least, sister resorts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are seperate resorts. Proximity is irrelevant. That would be like saying the Polynesian has a convention center because it’s adjacent to the Grand Floridian. CBR is not a DVC property and will not have DVC accommodations.

You are an incredibly bright individual by all indications...

But you have to stop believing the nonsense from “the company”...especially DVC.

That is an economic social experiment going on in bon bini bay. Sometimes if it waddles and quacks....Disney can’t make it a chicken

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can’t believe Frank Lloyd Wright keeps being brought up in relation to this thing.
Same here. It is not like anything he has done looks remotely similar to this design.

portecochere-oct2018-750x356-1539889059.jpg

reisley-house-exterior.jpg

FLW-parklands.jpg

palmer-house.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not really quite the same. They annexed part of Caribbean to build the Riviera. They are updating Caribbean along with this build as well. Riviera and Caribbean are, at least, sister resorts.

They redid OPR to avoid spending enough on amenities at the new DVC as a stand-alone.

We don’t need the fbi to Investigate this one. They have done this at every single DVC since wilderness lodge - the first one.

It makes sense...So you can’t really criticize it too much.
But why in the hell deny it??

peter11435

You are an incredibly bright individual by all indications...

But you have to stop believing the nonsense from “the company”...especially DVC.

That is an economic social experiment going on in bon bini bay. Sometimes if it waddles and quacks....Disney can’t make it a chicken
Obviously they cannabilized CBR for DVC. Obviously DVC is their resort priority.
If they could have simply added DVC to CBR under the current model they would have.

That still doesn’t make CBR a DVC Resort.

Not yet anyway

peter11435

They redid OPR to avoid spending enough on amenities at the new DVC as a stand-alone.

We don’t need the fbi to Investigate this one. They have done this at every single DVC since wilderness lodge - the first one.

It makes sense...So you can’t really criticize it too much.
But why in the hell deny it??

Riviera will have its own amenities and will not be sharing OPR.

They redid OPR because they had to demo the custom house for Rivera and because it desperately needed it.

DisneyOutsider

Same here. It is not like anything he has done looks remotely similar to this design.

portecochere-oct2018-750x356-1539889059.jpg

reisley-house-exterior.jpg

FLW-parklands.jpg

palmer-house.jpg

Yep, Wright was my first thought when I saw the concept art as well. A stone facade with modern wooden accents. The rendering perhaps does a poor job of showing these details, but the similarities are definitely there.

To me, they wanted to keep in line with the nearby 'Lodge' and 'campground' themes. To do something totally different so close to those resorts would be a disaster (the complaints on here would be loud regardless of their direction). This 'modernist vacation home in the woods' is a logical additional to the other nearby themes that adds something new without duplicating themes entirely. This isn't getting the chance here that it deserves, unfortunately, because it's quite the tasteful concept.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yep, Wright was my first thought when I saw the concept art as well. A stone facade with modern wooden accents. The rendering perhaps does a poor job of showing these details, but the similarities are definitely there.

To me, they wanted to keep in line with the nearby 'Lodge' and 'campground' themes. To do something totally different so close to those resorts would be a disaster (the complaints on here would be loud regardless of their direction). This 'modernist vacation home in the woods' is a logical additional to the other nearby themes that adds something new without duplicating themes entirely. This isn't getting the chance here that it deserves, unfortunately, because it's quite the tasteful concept.

meltdown mode is much more entertaining though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Riviera will have its own amenities and will not be sharing OPR.

They redid OPR because they had to demo the custom house for Rivera and because it desperately needed it.

So where you getting your quixkserve mickey waffle and your mouseboat?

...really...really need to just drop the curtain here.

“Moderate” DVC with a $190 a point but in. And a ski lift.

I’m not judging the complete product/appeal...just simply acknowledging this is only gonna go one way.

jt04

Well said. I think the CR will also be visible from this location so going more modern makes sense.

DisneyOutsider

A very shallow comparison. At best it’s a few elements copied without regard for their actual role in the design.

It's no more of stretch than the people trying to compare it to a Springhill Suites. I'd argue it's far less of one.

Using the contrast of the linear qualities of mid-century modern against the natural backdrop of nature/wilderness is something that has been done tastefully with great success for decades now and made famous here by Wright. That appears to be what they're going for here. Obviously they have a challenge of making large hotel buildings hold their intended theme/character without sacrificing functionality, but they will have full autonomy to paint the surrounding canvas to make the theme work. This is why the Polynesian just works, even without being anything interesting from an architectural standpoint. Ditto for AKL.

Honestly, I do understand the apprehension around here after several different business conference-style hotels in a row (Coronado addition, Riviera, Swan/Dolphin expansion). I think this one deserves a chance, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom