News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Disney gets to move ahead with the MK, DHS, and AK work without artificial delays from the board.
I doubt the gov would want to publicly block a few billion investment in central Florida tho…

Get out of the way… ok… but make it untenable? Seems counter to his bigger picture needs

Chi84

Premium Member
The reason this whole thing started no longer exists. The government never had any viable, legitimate reason for interfering in Disney's business so there's no reason to believe the district won't go back to being handled the way it was all those years. The only difference may be in rewarding connected politicians with lucrative, but powerless, appointments.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The government never had any viable, legitimate reason for interfering in Disney's business so there's no reason to believe the district won't go back to being handled the way it was all those years. The only difference may be in rewarding connected politicians with lucrative, but powerless, appointments.

That line of thinking is defeated by the district’s own ‘audit’ which claims all kinds of intermingling- which they claimed to have stopped. So how could it all be ‘as it was’ and also no impact?

lazyboy97o

The reason this whole thing started no longer exists. The government never had any viable, legitimate reason for interfering in Disney's business so there's no reason to believe the district won't go back to being handled the way it was all those years. The only difference may be in rewarding connected politicians with lucrative, but powerless, appointments.
The underlying motive absolutely does exist. If anything, Disney is hedging that they need to show compliance.

Surferboy567

If Disney wiggles its way back in to have control of their business, I guess that would be a win and back to their old situation, which worked fine for 50 years.
Correct, I doubt that’s the case though.
I have a feeling they had input in the new chain and administrator. Felt they were people they could work with. I could obviously be wrong.
I hope so, it just seems so weird they would be willing to play ball with them all of a sudden?
There is almost zero concessions to Disney here… this looks like Disney just laying down its sword and taking the knee.
I have to agree with this.
Change in leadership in the District amidst all of this being announced? Sounds like both parties are ready to move on and put the theatrics in the past. Back to business as usual.
I hope so, but that’s up to the district
And Disney gets to move ahead with the MK, DHS, and AK work without artificial delays from the board.
I hope that’s the case, but again would the district be willing to play ball with Disney? After all they have done to undermine them?
Except the board was prevented from accessing their most direct means of creating delays. Now they get to move forward with changing the comprehensive plan and development regulations, opening up that very ability to meddle.
Correct
The development regulations can now be modified to require more approvals. This was the mechanism by which such censorship would have been pushed and is now available.
Correct
The timing of Gilzean and Garcia leaving just before everything changes can't be ignored. I would assume that is part of a backroom handshake agreement and not the official changes enacted now with the new members.
Definitely possible

Thought I’d just stick all the responses in one big post, to keep things neat.

Side Note: This also can set a really bad precedent.

Chi84

Premium Member
That line of thinking is defeated by the district’s own ‘audit’ which claims all kinds of intermingling- which they claimed to have stopped. So how could it all be ‘as it was’ and also no impact?
Your interest in this issue is totally different from the interest that caused the government to interfere in the way the district was run. If you're saying something happened that could result in an ancillary benefit to good government, I won't dispute it but I doubt Disney will face any future interference on an actual as opposed to theoretical basis.

Tha Realest

The giving up on the developer agreement I don’t see an issue with. That was always a maneuver to just hinder the new gov board. But trying actions of the fed suit into this settlement just seems like a total capitulation by Disney.

There is almost zero concessions to Disney here… this looks like Disney just laying down its sword and taking the knee.
Yes. Alternatively, can’t imagine the recent changes to the composition and leadership of the board were an accident.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes. Alternatively, can’t imagine the recent changes to the composition and leadership of the board were an accident.
But I don’t think either of those things would drive the whole thing either. Both those guys are pawns who had zero independence or sustainable power without their puppet master.

It’s a nice toss in if disney said ‘they gotta go’… but disney would not make that the win to settle for. They just aren’t the decision drivers - they are implements with zero ability to go rouge.

Surferboy567

If Disney gets what they want in a new developer agreement agreed on by both parties they’ll drop the federal lawsuit. Which is the only lawsuit I can see them winning. State lawsuits are really tough because it’s handled by the state and that’s…

If they don’t they keep rolling on that federal lawsuit but cannot reference any past activity by Reedy Creek. That’s what I think all the points can be summed down to am I understanding this correctly?

Surferboy567

It's over. Think back to the way things were before it started. All of this was for nothing.
That’s not true. Let’s say for argument sake all lawsuits are dropped from both parties and they “make up” with one another.

Disney still has to deal with a new board puppeted by a man who doesn’t like them very much. It’s entirely possible this new board may try to be fair to Disney but track record seems to indicate this not be the case. It really comes down to what this new agreement entails as well as the board’s action.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
That’s not true. Let’s say for argument sake all lawsuits are dropped from both parties and they “make up” with one another.

Disney still has to deal with a new board puppeted by a man who doesn’t like them very much. It’s entirely possible this new board may try to be fair to Disney but track record seems to indicate this not be the case. It really comes down to what this new agreement entails as well as the board’s action.
Disney has deferred the federal lawsuit pending new negotiations and development agreements. It won't be dropped until those unspecified negotiations and new development agreements are completed.

James Alucobond

Disney has deferred the federal lawsuit pending new negotiations and development agreements. It won't be dropped until those unspecified negotiations and new development agreements are completed.
This. I suspect they became tired of the swirl around the state lawsuit and the board’s unwillingness to cooperate in even the slightest measure, so they pushed for this leadership change and a re-writing of the disputed agreements to still ultimately be in their favor, with a potential revival of the federal suit as a means of keeping the content of the new agreements in check. I’ll be interested to see how they actually turn out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom