News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Half of my life's been in Florida, and that's been my experience in Miami-Dade, Broward, Orange, and Osceola Counties, so I would have assumed that Lake operates the same way.

Leon, not Lake. And I've lived in the state for 57 years.

mmascari

You are wrong.
I'll accpet that. It's been true before, and will likely be true again.

The appearance and their presence is what most are hiring for
That makes sense. And is definitely more nuanced. Something I was missing.

Jump to 1:34:34 - it's not youtube that broke the timestamp link... it's the forum's processing of youtube links - removing hyperlinks for previews only :( in doing so the only link available 'watch on youtube' doesn't include timestamps in the original URL.
Thanks.

but it would take a lot longer.
As long as "longer" doesn't become "never".

Thanks for pointing to the time, there's no way I would have made it through 90 minutes before that.

Listening to those two minutes of video, the comments don't make any sense at all. I would bet if someone looked at where the CFTOD Fire Department responds, the majority of reponses are to Disney owned property. That wouldn't be some neffarious thing. Disney owns the vast majority of the property within the boundry where these things occur. That it sounds like he's surprised by this is the confusing thing. Obviously more police service is going to be needed on Disney owned property then on propery owed by CFTOD or one of the others within the district boundary.

In the video it certainly sounds like he doesn't want to pay for this, or provide it at all. But, that's more about how he talks about it as naughty and waste then as an actual plan presented.

We'll need to see what the proposed changes end up being. One thing was clear, they're looking to spend less on services currently provided.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Listening to those two minutes of video, the comments don't make any sense at all. I would bet if someone looked at where the CFTOD Fire Department responds, the majority of reponses are to Disney owned property. That wouldn't be some neffarious thing. Disney owns the vast majority of the property within the boundry where these things occur. That it sounds like he's surprised by this is the confusing thing. Obviously more police service is going to be needed on Disney owned property then on propery owed by CFTOD or one of the others within the district boundary.

In the video it certainly sounds like he doesn't want to pay for this, or provide it at all. But, that's more about how he talks about it as naughty and waste then as an actual plan presented.

We'll need to see what the proposed changes end up being. One thing was clear, they're looking to spend less on services currently provided.
Yes, like I was trying to talk people down earlier - we just don't have enough detail to really know
1) what they were spending on
and
2) what they will spend on

The comment is ambiguous - but with knowing common conventions you can see how it COULD be extraneous, or just be 'increased costs', or favortism. Really with just such a small slice of info.. you can't really tell.

You can't even find in the approve FY23 budget where this 8 million would be hiding.. the only place it could be is the Fire Dept budget.. and would represent almost 1/3rd of the labor budget.

The real question for Garcia at the next public comment is "You mentioned spending 8 million on police overtime for Disney properties, where in the FY23 budget was this budgeted for and is that an overage that wasn't budgeted for?"

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The inference is the district was paying for additional police services above and beyond their normal expectation of providing police services specifically for Disney-owned properties. So in excess and to the sole benefit of Disney. Not just their normal policing contracting with the Sherriff for the policing role the District provides.
But as you noted about the officer at Publix not ignoring a shooting, I’m not sure how the presence is only to Disney’s benefit. Officers at Disney Springs working an extra overtime shift aren’t going to just ignore something down on Hotel Plaza Blvd.

WonkyDonkey

I don’t know all the details, but I think the simple answer would be yes. Not sure they thought that part through.
They knew, but DeSantis' ego didn't care. YES, ppl that live in the two counties will pay more. They are "lowering" the tax rate bc it sounds like they're paying less in taxes, but "rate" is not the same as amount. In actuality their taxes are still going up to pay the ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS shortfall (and likely more to cover other things as this saga goes on). Disney pays its fair share and then provided services the counties didn't pay for. DeSantis PROMISED their taxes wouldn't go up so it's quit interesting...

My question is, why don't cities have their own police force? Some do, but it seems a lot rely on the county sheriff's office. IMO, a local department would discourage crimes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But as you noted about the officer at Publix not ignoring a shooting, I’m not sure how the presence is only to Disney’s benefit. Officers at Disney Springs working an extra overtime shift aren’t going to just ignore something down on Hotel Plaza Blvd.
Of course that enters the 'spin' area... and as already mentioned you could challenge 'why wouldn't we be paying more for the biggest public accessible areas on property?', etc. The guy is speaking his monologue unchallenged.

The way I see it... they likely went through the budget with a comb and looking for things to decouple or drop... because they knew they were already running up what will be many millions in new spending. Things that can be spun as 'only benefit Disney'... even better.

WonkyDonkey

No politics, please. (I know this topic political in origin, but there doesn't need to be any comments about parties and their platforms)
IT IS A POLITICAL SUBJECT thus its not a fair request IMO. Or what am I missing? I can see asking ppl to be respectful in their answers, but to tell ppl not to mention politics is beyond what is a fair request bc as you mentioned, "I know this topic (is) political in origin".

WonkyDonkey

Increase WDW taxes to cover costs so taxpayers don't have to subsidize Disney
Disney already pays taxes like everyone else therefore you cannot raise just their taxes. Disney paid extra by providing for services normally paid for by the county. Tax payers are NOT subsidizing Disney. Disney brings millions to the state just by existing in FL. Tourism is a top income generator in the state.

IF not for those facts maybe your idea would work. I say spread out the tax burden to all counties so it wouldn't be a burden. Or have DeSantis give Disney back control so citizens pay less. Do you believe $400,000 is ok for ONE person on the board? What do the others get paid? IMO it's much too much for tax payers to cover.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney already pays taxes like everyone else therefore you cannot raise just their taxes. Disney paid extra by providing for services normally paid for by the county. Tax payers are NOT subsidizing Disney. Disney brings millions to the state just by existing in FL. Tourism is a top income generator in the state.

IF not for those facts maybe your idea would work. I say spread out the tax burden to all counties so it wouldn't be a burden. Or have DeSantis give Disney back control so citizens pay less. Do you believe $400,000 is ok for ONE person on the board? What do the others get paid? IMO it's much too much for tax payers to cover.

It's been over a year since that was posted, and it's been discussed to death.

We all know Disney pays double taxes to cover their operations. Please don't kick that can and wake up the posters that will proceed to fill this thread with easily disproven lies, propaganda, and misinformation.

WonkyDonkey

They don't want to do battle at all. They just need to look like they are. Which is why nothing will come of this and Disney will keep doing Disney.
Except for the fact that the tax payers are paying for this battle plus they'll pay more in taxes for everything Disney used to pay. The counties cannot provide the needed services without increasing taxes (that's why they say the tax "rate" may go down bc ppl think that means taxes are reduced...not so.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

We all know Disney pays double taxes to cover their operations. Please don't kick that can and wake up the posters that will proceed to fill this thread with easily disproven lies, propaganda, and misinformation.

Shhh... don't disturb the sock puppet so soon after creation. Give them some more rope first, then knock out the chair from under them.

WonkyDonkey

Ok sorry, I didn't know bc I jumped over to reply from a story that was just posted. PLEASE NO ONE REPLY. TY. PS how do I know when it was posted bc it was at the beginning from the page I was on. TY for your input and assistance.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Ok sorry, I didn't know bc I jumped over to reply from a story that was just posted. PLEASE NO ONE REPLY. TY. PS how do I know when it was posted bc it was at the beginning from the page I was on. TY for your input and assistance.
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 4.01.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 4.01.16 PM.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
You are wrong.

The appearance and their presence is what most are hiring for... but they are in fact still police, and still have policing powers, and will act as police -- just with a limited duty assignment.

But if the Publix hired cop sees a shooting next door... he's going to act as a police officer would.

Publixes have personal check cashing, issue money orders and sell lottery tickets. Used to be able to deposit a check into certain banks. Several in my town have been robbed in the evening. One on Christmas Eve before closing.

The presence of either deputy sheriffs or local police serve both as a deterrent and arresting authority. If it's late at night and not much store traffic, they will also walk you to your car if you feel unsafe. I've asked them to check on two very young children left unattended in the vehicle I parked next to one evening.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They knew, but DeSantis' ego didn't care. YES, ppl that live in the two counties will pay more. They are "lowering" the tax rate bc it sounds like they're paying less in taxes, but "rate" is not the same as amount. In actuality their taxes are still going up to pay the ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS shortfall (and likely more to cover other things as this saga goes on). Disney pays its fair share and then provided services the counties didn't pay for. DeSantis PROMISED their taxes wouldn't go up so it's quit interesting...

My question is, why don't cities have their own police force? Some do, but it seems a lot rely on the county sheriff's office. IMO, a local department would discourage crimes.

Are you talking about Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista? I believe the combined total of residents for both cities is under 40. That could be the reason why neither has a municipal police force.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Except for the fact that the tax payers are paying for this battle plus they'll pay more in taxes for everything Disney used to pay. The counties cannot provide the needed services without increasing taxes (that's why they say the tax "rate" may go down bc ppl think that means taxes are reduced...not so.

Which government taxing authority are you referring to?

Under Florida law, a municipal taxing authority - city, county, school district - cannot increase property taxes without voter approval.

The ONLY way my property taxes in Orange County would go up is if OCTOD stopped providing services my property taxes pay for - fire, LE, waste, etc. And we'd get to vote before that happened.

lazyboy97o

Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake do not have a police force because they would be a de facto Disney Police. It would not be well received by the public so Disney has instead long opted to instead contract out to the counties.

LAKid53

Premium Member

It's not that you just can't "raise taxes on Disney" it's that the FL Constitution prohibits charging a different rate to property owners in the same jurisdiction UNLESS a special district is created. And that's what the majority of special districts in Florida are...taxing districts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom