News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No one is subsidizing Disney. The taxpayers that they are referring to are the businesses that have lease agreements with Disney. It isn't anyone outside of the RCID that is paying the bill. And this is just a stunt. The appointed board is going to have disney pay the county directly even though disney pays all but a few percentage of the budget of the RCID.

What do you mean by "paying the county" directly? The board of CFTOD has no authority over services of the 2 counties.

UNCgolf

In the stores I patronize, they hover near the customer service desk.

Florida allows retailers like grocery stores - Costco too - to obtain a license to sell only beer and wine. A separate package store and license is required to sell liquor. There was a bill in the Legislature a year or so ago that would allow grocery stores to sell liquor, provided it was a separate area that was walled with a door to enter. Never passed.

California allows grocery stores and member clubs like Costco to possess liquor licenses to sell liquor within the store, as opposed to having a separate store. Didn't have to go to a separate package store to pick up your scotch or vodka at Safeway...it was in the liquor department. Florida is a tad behind the times. Blue laws existed in the state through the 1980s. And there are still dry counties.

I believe this is actually the standard across most of the country. Most states don't allow grocery stores to sell liquor, although the specifics vary; e.g. South Carolina allows Costco to sell liquor with a separate attached store whereas North Carolina only allows liquor sales at specifically licensed ABC store locations and Costco doesn't sell it at all. In Georgia, I think there are two Costco locations that sell liquor but no others because they're limited to two licenses.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I believe this is actually the standard across most of the country. Most states don't allow grocery stores to sell liquor, although the specifics vary; e.g. South Carolina allows Costco to sell liquor with a separate attached store whereas North Carolina only allows liquor sales at specifically licensed ABC store locations.

Florida allows both Costco and Publix to sell liquor in a separate attached store. The new Publix at the intersection of Herzog and Avalon near Flamingo Crossings will have a Publix Liquors. But based upon the building which is nearly complete, it won't be "next door" as that space will be the drive through for the pharmacy. There's another small building in the parking lot that most likely will house the liquor store.

afterabme

Budget wise, is the 8 million for the police reflective of how much it would potentially cost for Disney to contract with the counties for police directly? Or would it be more?

Lilofan

This is true of Osceola County SO also.

It all depends how a county has it set up with FHP. Probably half the counties in FL have the FHP handle all the reporting because those reports have to be sent to FHP in the end.
That does not make sense. A friend of mine waited by their car for several hours outside WDW for FHP to come to accident scene. Orange County sheriffs just kept driving by and said it’s Highway Patrol responsibility.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Citizens? The only people that lived on property were disney executives. Again, the lessees of property in Disney Springs are not really citizens.

You're asserting that anyone who rents isn't a citizen? Even though the cost of property taxes to the owner is typically included in the rental fee.

Lilofan

“We heard from constituents loud and clear at public meetings and while out and about in the community"

He hasn't been in contact with Disney. I really wouldn't call the lessees like Hilton a constituent.

"Further, taxpayer dollars would no longer be used to fund the private use of the public police force for commercial benefit. Over the past several years, instead of using private security or hiring additional police officers, private entities have placed the financial burden on citizens by billing the district to police their property."

Citizens? The only people that lived on property were disney executives. Again, the lessees of property in Disney Springs are not really citizens.
Golden Oak near Port Orleans is on property. The homeowners whose homes range from $5M - $30M live in the gated community. Most if not all are not Disney execs some using Golden Oak as their second or third residence.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Golden snowbirds living when they feel like it in Golden Oak. Must be nice to view the parks fireworks nightly from your backyard patio and swimming pool.

You act like only residents of Golden Oak can see fireworks. I can see them from my front porch, the end of my street, the mailboxes and the pool area.

GrumpyFan

Disney files response to Governor Desantis' motion to dismiss their case against him.

The response seems very good, in my unprofessional non-legal expert opinion. I hope the judge will view it the same and rule in favor of Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom