News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JAB

Deadline has published Disney's response to the Governor's motion to dismiss the suit.

Wow. Professional language, relevant caselaw, and actual pertinent facts instead of the hyperbole, name calling, and misinformation of the opponent's filings.

It really says something when the government's filings read more like the wacko amicus briefs than they do Disney's filings. Unless the judge is completely biased, I don't see how he dismisses the case.

On a related note, if the motion to dismiss is denied, what are the chances DeSantis & Co. will try to judge shop again with another recusal motion?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wow. Professional language, relevant caselaw, and actual pertinent facts instead of the hyperbole, name calling, and misinformation of the opponent's filings.

It really says something when the government's filings read more like the wacko amicus briefs than they do Disney's filings. Unless the judge is completely biased, I don't see how he dismisses the case.

On a related note, if the motion to dismiss is denied, what are the chances DeSantis & Co. will try to judge shop again with another recusal motion?

As the sole governmental individual empowered by law to appoint the members of the OCTOD Board, that the governor thinks he's not liable for any damage done by the Board to the Plaintiff is a laughable assertion.

LAKid53

Premium Member

100%

But the court may lose its patience.

TtocsMc

What I find more disconcerning from his whole transparency pulpit is...

Today they had a set a max mil rate due to the TRIMs timetable - which says they have to share their max millage rate 35 days after the assessor sets the values. The board voted based on a presentation (and unless shared elsewhere I didn't see, no other supporting detail on the proposed budget) that literally had a 4 line expenses and revenue summary. YET, from Garcia's own remarks, he has other info about the proposed budget. They voted on a revenue model without any transparency on what their expenses are really coming from. Because the proposed budgets won't goto them for some weeks.

For someone who keeps beating the horse about transparency... I'd love to hear how the Board members felt confident they could set that revenue target based on the single slide a 5min readout they heard today.
Because the board has already made significant cuts to the proposed budget (to the tune of over $16 million) but that was never mentioned regardless of all of the “transparency”.

celluloid

Publixes have personal check cashing, issue money orders and sell lottery tickets. Used to be able to deposit a check into certain banks. Several in my town have been robbed in the evening. One on Christmas Eve before closing.

The presence of either deputy sheriffs or local police serve both as a deterrent and arresting authority. If it's late at night and not much store traffic, they will also walk you to your car if you feel unsafe. I've asked them to check on two very young children left unattended in the vehicle I parked next to one evening.
Most also have liquor sales that play a part there too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Because the board has already made significant cuts to the proposed budget (to the tune of over $16 million) but that was never mentioned regardless of all of the “transparency”.
So if they made cuts of $16M... and are raising the budget $11M... that means in year one they've added $27million in new spending - or a 21% increase in new Operating Expenses...

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Not for the reporting of an accident, only for insuring that the victims are safe until FHP arrives.

It's been this way for years, and as recently as 2021.

I'm still searching for the law or policy, but on quickie - on the OC Sherrifs Office page, if you wan to report a traffic accident, it clearly tells you to call FHP: https://www.ocso.com/e-report
This is true of Osceola County SO also.
That may be an OCSO thing. LCSO website makes no reference to calling FHP. It does provide a link to HSMV to self report a minor traffic accident. Even Section 316.065, F.S., says to report to either the local sheriff's office or FHP station if a traffic accident with damage greater than $500 or death or injury occurs outside a municipality.
It all depends how a county has it set up with FHP. Probably half the counties in FL have the FHP handle all the reporting because those reports have to be sent to FHP in the end.

Prince-1

It is common and legal for board meetings throughout the US. Antidisestablishmentarianism does not go over freedom of speech is the reason. Oddly as it may seem to some.
Paritcularly because as a teacher I am not trusted to allow/endorse, or practice that free speech in a classroom, but board meetings typically begin with them.

Prayers and blessings should not be allowed in a public schools. This isn’t a freedom of speech issue.

Prince-1

They are, as long as it is the student and not sponsored or endorsed by faculty within school hours.

They are also allowed in public board meetings which is all my response was pointing out. It's legal.

I was responding to what you had written and you did not say anything about after hours. You said, “I am not trusted to allow/endorse, or practice that free speech in a classroom“.

flavious27

"Disney is not the only taxpayer in this district. We have other taxpayers, but $8 million was being used for law enforcement services exclusively on Disney properties. And that doesn't make any sense to me, and it doesn't make any sense to anybody on our team that's looked at it."

Because this team is a bunch of political hacks that couldn't run a 2 property hoa. Disney owns a little over 17k acres of the almost 25k acres. RCID "owns" 7k, which is mostly protected lands. The state owns about 550 acres, which is any State roads. The remaining 109 acres is owned by Orange County, Palm Hospitality Company, the celebration Company, and district board
member. The only other taxpayers are corporate tenants of Disney.

It makes sense for that cost when the other taxpayers own / lease a rounding error amount of land.

celluloid

However, in Florida they are not part of the grocery store as the law requires a physical separation with a separate entrance. So Publix liquors are usually the shop next door.

Yes, and that is where the officer usually hangs out between the two in my experience.

Beer and wine are however allowed to be sold in the main store.

flavious27

No one is subsidizing Disney. The taxpayers that they are referring to are the businesses that have lease agreements with Disney. It isn't anyone outside of the RCID that is paying the bill. And this is just a stunt. The appointed board is going to have disney pay the county directly even though disney pays all but a few percentage of the budget of the RCID.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, and that is where the officer usually hangs out between the two in my experience.

Beer and wine are however allowed to be sold in the main store.

In the stores I patronize, they hover near the customer service desk.

Florida allows retailers like grocery stores - Costco too - to obtain a license to sell only beer and wine. A separate package store and license is required to sell liquor. There was a bill in the Legislature a year or so ago that would allow grocery stores to sell liquor, provided it was a separate area that was walled with a door to enter. Never passed.

California allows grocery stores and member clubs like Costco to possess liquor licenses to sell liquor within the store, as opposed to having a separate store. Didn't have to go to a separate package store to pick up your scotch or vodka at Safeway...it was in the liquor department. Florida is a tad behind the times. Blue laws existed in the state through the 1980s. And there are still dry counties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom