News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

fgmnt

It’s not so much what happened but why it happened that should concern us. If there have indeed been earlier attempts to get rid of or reorganise the district (I myself don’t know, but I’ll take your word for it), were they also motivated by an undisguised desire to punish Disney for exercising its legally enshrined First Amendment rights?

Exploration has been made in the past to make sure the state was getting the best deal they could commercially out of RCID. We are 424 pages into this thread + what is probably 50 pages or more of deleted posts, and no one has made a concrete and factual argument for the new law being a better deal for the state commercially.

(Fair play, maybe one of the cranks I have set to ignore actually bucked their habits of being cranks and did this, but I didn't see it)

Kirby86

It’s not so much what happened but why it happened that should concern us. If there have indeed been earlier attempts to get rid of or reorganise the district (I myself don’t know, but I’ll take your word for it), were they also motivated by an undisguised desire to punish Disney for exercising its legally enshrined First Amendment rights?
Oh I'm a little perturbed as for why it was done this time. It definitely comes off as a "welp Disney you're going to criticize us and our law after we let you open your park during the height of the pandemic? Fine say good bye complete autonomy."

And yeah there were always people who went isn't it odd that the Disney company has all these special privileges and no state oversight in their special district while other special districts still have to answer to the state. It was just never seriously followed through with because Disney was just building theme parks amd hotels.

LittleBuford

I didn’t say they are… and in case you didn’t notice I keep saying I think they are not done.

But there is a difference between declaring open war and calling for blood vs a conflict that is fought more discreetly.
I wasn’t suggesting they should declare open war. Extreme rhetoric is always best avoided in such situations. But unlike you, I don’t see any reason to think they’re intending to fight this, discreetly or otherwise. Perhaps they are, in spite of the abject statement they issued. I’d love to be wrong.

celluloid

If it potentially has a loss to the Execs bonuses, than you can bet the loss will go to the parks and effect guest experience.

Everything else that does this does.

lazyboy97o

Oh I'm a little perturbed as for why it was done this time. It definitely comes off as a "welp Disney you're going to criticize us and our law after we let you open your park during the height of the pandemic? Fine say good bye complete autonomy."

And yeah there were always people who went isn't it odd that the Disney company has all these special privileges and no state oversight in their special district while other special districts still have to answer to the state. It was just never seriously followed through with because Disney was just building theme parks amd hotels.
Reedy Creek Improvement District was not completely void of state oversight. It even enforced certain state regulations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m really baffled by this framing, which makes it seem as if Disney would have been doing something unreasonable or hotheaded by opposing arbitrary government interference.
Not at all what it means. If Disney came out guns blazing and attacked this setup and the Governor in a statement as many people here would have wanted then they would escalate the conflict which is not good for business. That would be the opposite of cooler heads. This statement does the exact opposite. It tells everyone (shareholders, CMs, customers) that the sky is not falling, that WDW will still continue operating as usual and that they will work with the new district going forward. It has nothing to do with who is right or wrong and isn’t saying they won’t oppose future actions the new board takes.

I understand you and others here are disappointed Disney did not stand up against this. Based on principles alone they probably should fight it, but they are not viewing winning that argument as their top or only priority. Similar to how they worked back channels with the legislature to come up with a compromise (only to have it killed by the Governor) they are looking at playing the long game now too. Like it or not WDW is a significant piece of one of their most important segments and they can’t move it out of FL so they have to figure out how to make it work. I am not an insider so don’t know for sure what their thinking was, but I’m sure all options were on the table and then they determined the path they think will have the best outcome.

peter11435

But that alone is a misconception. RCID was never exempt from all state oversight.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, is that a Florida law?
Yes. Every state has different rules. In FL the law has changed many times but most recently in 2018 they clarified the rule to include people holding state office running for President or Vice President. As others have pointed out the legislature can just pass a new bill reversing the rule but as it stands today he would need to step down.

The intent of the law is to prevent people from using their current state office as a platform to move on to national positions. It also ensures that if someone is focusing on a national campaign and spending a lot of time out of state that someone local who is focused on the state steps in.

Ayla

Unless the law is changed he’s done 10 days after he officially announces that he is running so well before 2024. Not sure if the LT Governor takes over and finishes the term or if there’s a special election to replace him.
He plans on changing the law.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah it's political posturing. Dissolving or restructuring Reedy Creek always was political theater. Personally I think it's a waste of time and money.
However in a post RCID world I don't think from a guest perspective we will notice much on our end. I could be wrong though we shall see.
Selfishly, I hope you are right about little impact to guests. I think you could be, but there’s too many unknowns at this point to say for sure.

I think the biggest immediate impact will be on who the district hires to do work for the district. I would imagine they will be excluding vendors who are inclusive or have diversity training so there will be an impact on local residents and businesses. How the board interacts with Disney is still a big unknown. Will the Governor attempt to influence Disney policy or what types of projects get approved? That’s a Big unknown that could directly impact guests.

lazyboy97o

Yeah it's political posturing. Dissolving or restructuring Reedy Creek always was political theater. Personally I think it's a waste of time and money.
However in a post RCID world I don't think from a guest perspective we will notice much on our end. I could be wrong though we shall see.
It’s not really a post-RCID world. There is still a district with some expanded powers.

sedati

I’m not sure that would be disagreeable to state leadership. It’s what some have sort of said they want and would parallel other current events.
Just as a way of shifting public sentiment, put the blame where it belongs when the locals can’t watch a new Marvel film with the rest of the world.

LittleBuford

Not at all what it means. If Disney came out guns blazing and attacked this setup and the Governor in a statement as many people here would have wanted then they would escalate the conflict which is not good for business. That would be the opposite of cooler heads. This statement does the exact opposite. It tells everyone (shareholders, CMs, customers) that the sky is not falling, that WDW will still continue operating as usual and that they will work with the new district going forward. It has nothing to do with who is right or wrong and isn’t saying they won’t oppose future actions the new board takes.

I understand you and others here are disappointed Disney did not stand up against this. Based on principles alone they probably should fight it, but they are not viewing winning that argument as their top or only priority. Similar to how they worked back channels with the legislature to come up with a compromise (only to have it killed by the Governor) they are looking at playing the long game now too. Like it or not WDW is a significant piece of one of their most important segments and they can’t move it out of FL so they have to figure out how to make it work. I am not an insider so don’t know for sure what their thinking was, but I’m sure all options were on the table and then they determined the path they think will have the best outcome.
Again, I think there are many shades of grey between total acquiescence, which is what the statement signifies, and a guns-blazing approach, which I agree would have been unwise.

peter11435

Again, I think there are many shades of grey between total acquiescence, which is what the statement signifies, and a guns-blazing approach, which I agree would have been unwise.
I still don’t read the statement as total acquiescence. Not at all.

As someone else said… it’s a public statement from Walt Disney world regarding operations basically staying “we’re still open” and will continue to offer the same experience. It has nothing to do with what teams of lawyers may or may not be working on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom