News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
That statement was parsed and revised and signed off at the highest of levels. It explicitly says they are “focused on the future and are ready to work within this new framework.” As stated, that does not signal an immediate or imminent plan to challenge the framework, but rather a concession to it.

I think it was intended to say ‘we are still open for business’

peter11435

That statement was parsed and revised and signed off at the highest of levels. It explicitly says they are “focused on the future and are ready to work within this new framework.” As stated, that does not signal an immediate or imminent plan to challenge the framework, but rather a concession to it.
Like I said earlier, WDW must now operate under the assumption that the new framework is the future of their operations. The results of any potential future litigation are uncertain. Now that the change is reality there is a need to reassure investors, guests, and cast members that you are prepared to operate under the new structure with little to no impact to the experience.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One spokesman statement is not a true view of Disney’s strategy and end game.

I think there is still more to cone
I agree. I think the statement was done to show cooler heads have prevailed. Remember that Disney has a responsibility to lots of groups like CMs and shareholders who prefer stability vs open conflict. This statement says we will be fine and we will move forward working with the new board. What it doesn’t say is we will just accept whatever they do. If/when the board steps out of line then they will act. That action will be boring and won’t grab headlines. I know there are people who prefer to see Disney fight this on a 1st amendment basis, but that isn’t going to happen now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because ’no comment’ doesn’t really work in this situation. They have to project an image of being ready and adaptable.

It was a calming statement - for a company that needs to provide an image of continuity to ensure the market doesn’t start panicking.

I read it as ‘we can keep moving forward and keep operating’ — more than them laying down.

Obviously it’s not a declaration of war… but I don’t think they have laid out their entire strategy in that simple prepared statement
I think the play now is to let it pass…
Best way to put out a fire is to deprive it of oxygen…not throw water on it

Dan Deesnee

I think things will be difficult as long as DeSantis is in office since he wants — for political reasons — to attack Disney. Once he leaves in 2024 or 2026 (depending on whether he runs for president), the situation should be a moot point. Unless the next governor is even crazier.

You think he's crazy, some people don't.

That's the beauty of America. I don't think the next governor will make much of a difference from a Disney perspective. You may disagree with a political party/political person but they're all focused on money, so hurting Disney TOO bad is not in any of their best interests.

sedati

I’d love to see Disney adopt some form of “Woke” compliance system for Florida where content is delayed from release in the state as it self-determines whether or not any media complied with the State’s delicate and outdated sensibilities. The Mandalorian season three, Quantumania, and even ESPN could be held off. When a child tries to watch Encanto they are met with a screen telling them the content is under review. Staff the review board with a single part timer.

lazyboy97o

I’d love to see Disney adopt some form of “Woke” compliance system for Florida where content is delayed from release in the state as it self-determines whether or not any media complied with the State’s delicate and outdated sensibilities. The Mandalorian season three, Quantumania, and even ESPN could be held off. When a child tries to watch Encanto they are met with a screen telling them the content is under review. Staff the review board with a single part timer.
I’m not sure that would be disagreeable to state leadership. It’s what some have sort of said they want and would parallel other current events.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m really baffled by this framing, which makes it seem as if Disney would have been doing something unreasonable or hotheaded by opposing arbitrary government interference.

Its as simple as “open war is not good for business”

And in case you hadn’t noticed… the company is under quite a bit of scrutiny from wall st right now.

You just reiterated for the world that your parks businesses is the money engine of your empire. Do you want to paint the picture to the world that the biggest portion of it is in a life n death battle?

Or do you want to project calm, continuity, and “we got this…”

LittleBuford

Its as simple as “open war is not good for business”

And in case you hadn’t noticed… the company is under quite a bit of scrutiny from wall st right now.

You just reiterated for the world that your parks businesses is the money engine of your empire. Do you want to paint the picture to the world that the biggest portion of it is in a life n death battle?

Or do you want to project calm, continuity, and “we got this…”
I think this is a false dichotomy. Fighting an injustice and projecting calm levelheadedness are not mutually exclusive. Disney could have done both, and in my view (which I realise counts for nothing) should have.

Dranth

You think he's crazy, some people don't.

That's the beauty of America. I don't think the next governor will make much of a difference from a Disney perspective. You may disagree with a political party/political person but they're all focused on money, so hurting Disney TOO bad is not in any of their best interests.
He's not crazy. He is catering to a particular base that now runs his side of the political aisle. That may help him in the primary, assuming he ever stands up to the other guy we know is running and who has been bashing Ron every last chance he gets. However, it is going to hurt him in the general if he makes it that far.

lazyboy97o

He's not crazy. He is catering to a particular base that now runs his side of the political aisle. That may help him in the primary, assuming he ever stands up to the other guy we know is running and who has been bashing Ron every last chance he gets. However, it is going to hurt him in the general if he makes it that far.
I honestly don’t think this really hurts him. The District’s set and context are so misunderstood that I’m not sure it would be easy to make it too much of issue without getting stuck with the many misconceptions.

Kirby86

Honestly Reedy Creek was always on borrowed time, throughout its history both parties at diffrent times tried to get rid or change the rules of the special district. DeSantis just happend to have a majority in the state congress to push this through.
Also I have a feeling on a guest side we're not going to notice much on our end of any changes.

LittleBuford

Honestly Reedy Creek was always on borrowed time, throughout its history both parties at diffrent times tried to get rid or change the rules of the special district. DeSantis just happend to have a majority in the state congress to push this through.
Also I have a feeling on a guest side we're not going to notice much on our end of any changes.
It’s not so much what happened but why it happened that should concern us. If there have indeed been earlier attempts to get rid of or reorganise the district (I myself don’t know, but I’ll take your word for it), were they also motivated by an undisguised desire to punish Disney for exercising its legally enshrined First Amendment rights?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think this is a false dichotomy. Fighting an injustice and projecting calm levelheadedness are not mutually exclusive.

I didn’t say they are… and in case you didn’t notice I keep saying I think they are not done.

But there is a difference between declaring open war and calling for blood vs a conflict that is fought more discreetly.

peter11435

None of those other times was the hostility towards reedy creek an attempt to silence Disney. And all of those other times the legislature determined that the current agreement was legal and beneficial to the state and any changes would not be in the states best interest

lazyboy97o

Not really. The legislature did a study about 15 years ago to see what was involved. There was never serious effort to dissolve the district.

fgmnt

Supposedly DeSantis only wants the press coverage and nothing else he or others have stated.
At the risk of getting zapped, I will just say that most of the governor's aggressive agenda on other things has actually been carried out rather expeditiously (?) and gleefully (?) by the state. That's why I think you are right to be skeptical that the state takeover of RCID would be an exception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom