News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Again, I think there are many shades of grey between total acquiescence, which is what the statement signifies, and a guns-blazing approach, which I agree would have been unwise.
I agree there are many shades of grey. Where we disagree is that this statement is total acquiescence. I think Disney’s approach actually is in that grey area. They do have a park in Shanghai where they deal with a hostile and authoritarian government so they have some experience playing in the grey area while still succeeding financially.

LittleBuford

I agree there are many shades of grey. Where we disagree is that this statement is total acquiescence. I think Disney’s approach actually is in that grey area. They do have a park in Shanghai where they deal with a hostile and authoritarian government so they have some experience playing in the grey area while still succeeding financially.
My concern isn't about Disney's financial success. They're still going to make bags of money, and the powers that be in Florida have no interest in changing that. My worries centre on ideological interference with the park's offerings and policies. Sure, Disney already faces this challenge in China, but I don't think many of us expected to be talking about the politics of Orlando and Shanghai in the same breath.

At any rate, and as I've already acknowledged, there may well be grey that I'm simply not seeing. If they are continuing the fight behind closed doors, good luck to them.

Dranth

I honestly don’t think this really hurts him. The District’s set and context are so misunderstood that I’m not sure it would be easy to make it too much of issue without getting stuck with the many misconceptions.
Maybe not, but it certainly doesn’t help in a general. It depends on how opposition uses it. Some of his own side is using it to show how weak he is because he caved. The other side would paint it as a power hungry dictator move and why would you middle of the spectrum voters want more of that?

We’ll see if he decides to run how it goes but at best, in a general, it just doesn’t come up.

Tony the Tigger

He plans on changing the law.
I wonder to which candidate Disney will make donations.
Again, I think there are many shades of grey between total acquiescence, which is what the statement signifies, and a guns-blazing approach, which I agree would have been unwise.
FWIW: When I read the statement last night, it didn’t even occur to me that it was indicative of rolling over. Just a standard PR announcement.

LittleBuford

FWIW: When I read the statement last night, it didn’t even occur to me that it was indicative of rolling over. Just a standard PR announcement.
None of the published analyses I've read since the news broke interpret the statement as other than a full concession on Disney's part, which has only made it more difficult for me to see past my own interpretation. But I sincerely hope I'm missing something that you and others have picked up on.

el_super

Disney might have figured out fighting with the government isn't the best thing to do for the business.

While that statement is probably true, there is a 0% chance that Disney stays out of politics.

There is no point in fighting the government today. It's easy to blame this all on one lone wolf governor, but an entire legislative body backed him up, and both of them were put into power by a majority of state residents. There is no point in fighting the entire state of Florida in court and the media.

What they will do is still produce the type of inclusive media they have to make. The type that speaks to their artists, the type that speaks to the majority of their customers. They cannot fight the broader market trend.

What also will happen is a very subtle campaign to move the needle in Florida politics and advocate for change that will ultimately be beneficial to their business. The type of subtle campaign that will unfold in the course of years and decades, not just one election cycle.

It shouldn't be too hard to for Disney to find a moderate that will both be pro-bisiness and also turn a blind eye to their inclusion programs. Once they do they will make sure they are installed as governor.

And in the end, nothing will really change. Except maybe that Disney will have to sell more lightning lane passes to pay for their PACs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is no point in fighting the government today. It's easy to blame this all on one lone wolf governor, but an entire legislative body backed him up, and both of them were put into power by a majority of state residents. There is no point in fighting the entire state of Florida in court and the media

'entire legislative body'? No, that wasn't it at all.. but please keep sharing your awesome tales.

What you had is one PARTY who was aligned - who happen to hold the majority in both houses and the gov.

el_super

There’s plenty to fight. And yeah, I’m a big fan of RCID. But even if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be supporting a precedent to completely strip away the setup of hundreds of local governments with the involvement of those impacted.

RCID only exists as a weird perversion of democracy that comes straight from a Henry Ford fever dream. You don't honestly think that corporations should be allowed to own towns or counties do you?

Sure maybe the residents of Bay Lake could file a suit for disenfranchisement, but there is no way that happens without the PR disaster of showcasing how the "residents" aren't really residents but just officers of TWDC. That's really the fight to be avoided here.

lazyboy97o

RCID only exists as a weird perversion of democracy that comes straight from a Henry Ford fever dream. You don't honestly think that corporations should be allowed to own towns or counties do you?

Sure maybe the residents of Bay Lake could file a suit for disenfranchisement, but there is no way that happens without the PR disaster of showcasing how the "residents" aren't really residents but just officers of TWDC. That's really the fight to be avoided here.
Yeah, it’s so perverse how they created a whole open regulatory framework where one didn’t exist and could have just been hidden as part of corporate structures. It’s so perverse how they created model regulations that could be adopted by others. It’s so perverse how they didn’t make others pay for their infrastructure. But yeah, maybe a more capricious zoning commission with a complete lack of local input is what would make it a true model of democracy.

They are residents. They’re also not the only parties involved with standing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom