News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

drnilescrane

As an aside, Disneyland operates in a very regulated state, California. It sits in Orange County whose board has recently has been very confrontational. Yet, Disney has had little problems getting things passed for the improvement of Disneyland in recent years. I am not so sure that the change in the RCID will present this big problem for the future management of WDW.
Orange County doesn't handle planning, the City of Anaheim does.

Disney has had immense issues getting planning amendments through the City Council. However, the existing Anaheim Resort specific plan gives Disney entitlements to build on their land.

The problem is those entitlements are stuck in the Eisner era and they need to be updated, which is the proposal behind DisneylandForward. I'm not confident that it will pass due to the latest corruption scandal that unfortunately involves Disney. It seems destined for the same fate as the eastern gateway.

lazyboy97o

As an aside, Disneyland operates in a very regulated state, California. It sits in Orange County whose board has recently has been very confrontational. Yet, Disney has had little problems getting things passed for the improvement of Disneyland in recent years. I am not so sure that the change in the RCID will present this big problem for the future management of WDW.
Surely you can name some if these projects that didn’t rely on previously granted planning approval.

MR.Dis

Orange County doesn't handle planning, the City of Anaheim does.

Disney has had immense issues getting planning amendments through the City Council. However, the existing Anaheim Resort specific plan gives Disney entitlements to build on their land.

The problem is those entitlements are stuck in the Eisner era and they need to be updated, which is the proposal behind DisneylandForward. I'm not confident that it will pass due to the latest corruption scandal that unfortunately involves Disney. It seems destined for the same fate as the eastern gateway.
Are saying that there is not massive new developements going on right now in Disneyland? Somehow those projects did get approved. So Disney has learned how to work with local, county and state governments in California or am I missing something?

drnilescrane

Are saying that there is not massive new developements going on right now in Disneyland? Somehow those projects did get approved. So Disney has learned how to work with local, county and state governments in California or am I missing something?
They are all based on entitlements granted in the early 90s as part of the resort expansion. Look up the Eastern Gateway project or the 4th Hotel project.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Who said it would? A replacement board cannot stop Disney from operating their parks as they see fit. The Orange County CA board is elected by the people not appointed by the Governor to punish Disney. Big difference.

A new board could get in the way of certain new infrastructure projects and they will likely make it more expensive to get things done. Once you hand board seats over to people as political favors they will pull stunts like hire their cousin to pave the roads at 3x the cost. There is also the justifiable fear that any time Disney does anything that bothers the Governor he will use his control to punish them again. Release a movie with content he doesn’t approve of, raise their taxes. Speak out for employee rights, deny approval for project.

Rickcat96

Have not seen who is paying for these changes and if the "New" supervisors will be compensated and by whom. I guess the State will pay a lease on the building too?

lazyboy97o

Who said it would? A replacement board cannot stop Disney from operating their parks as they see fit. The Orange County CA board is elected by the people not appointed by the Governor to punish Disney. Big difference.

A new board could get in the way of certain new infrastructure projects and they will likely make it more expensive to get things done. Once you hand board seats over to people as political favors they will pull stunts like hire their cousin to pave the roads at 3x the cost. There is also the justifiable fear that any time Disney does anything that bothers the Governor he will use his control to punish them again. Release a movie with content he doesn’t approve of, raise their taxes. Speak out for employee rights, deny approval for project.
A hostile district absolutely could interfered with daily operations. Attractions and facilities could be shut down by order of the district.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A hostile district absolutely could interfered with daily operations. Attractions and facilities could be shut down by order of the district.
For what? I didn’t think RCID had anything to do with ride safety or health inspections. Fire code violations is all I can think of but they would have to justify that.

peter11435

Yep. They could really interfere with all aspects of the operation of the resort. And they could use the threat of this interference to attempt to control all aspects of the company’s output. Not simply public statements like the one that started this, but also film and television output, news reporting, theme park content, training and hiring practices, and the overall social guidance of the company.

This could also lead to a very noticeable and significant loss of the “Disney bubble”. The implications of the state/governor having full control of roads, resources, and land within the district has not been adequately discussed in this thread.

lazyboy97o

For what? I didn’t think RCID had anything to do with ride safety or health inspections. Fire code violations is all I can think of but they would have to justify that.
The proposal is to give the district authority over amusement safety. The fire department has immense power and leeway, and finding violations at a place like Walt Disney World would not be difficult.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The reason I said makes no sense is that ride safety and safety inspections are already governed by the state in FL but there is an exception for parks that have over 1,000 employees and also have their own in house inspectors. So is that law superseded or just for Disney and not everyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

drnilescrane

Well….yeah. I can’t disagree. The reason I said makes no sense is that ride safety and safety inspections are already governed by the state in FL but there is an exception for parks that have over 1,000 employees and also have their own in house inspectors. So is that law superseded or just for Disney and not everyone else?
Feels like they are trying to maintain the fiction that it's the "Central Florida Theme Park Oversight District"

Disstevefan1

The tail don't wag the dog.

Permits like these are formalities and administrative overhead once the actual criteria stuff is done. It's not like the permits are some fleeting window of opportunity to get something. They are just administrative overhead. The 5% isn't going to force the 95% to change.

Well, I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Let's see what happens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reason I said makes no sense is that ride safety and safety inspections are already governed by the state in FL but there is an exception for parks that have over 1,000 employees and also have their own in house inspectors. So is that law superseded or just for Disney and not everyone else?

TBD - like I mentioned when highlighting the text from the bill the other day, I'm not sure how this power would interact with existing state level oversight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom