News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
This thread is about RCID and the changes the state is trying to enact. Not about general reaction to the "don't Say Gay Bill"

Stay on topic with RCID. Thanks

I understand this is very difficult, but please don't get into wider spread politics. If you do, you will be banned from this thread. Thanks.

Please everyone, remember this thread is specifically about RCID, not a general politics thread. Please remain on-topic and respects other's differing opinions. Thanks.

If you don't agree with me - take it up with the site owner. Until then... stop bringing that stuff into this thread and cause it to get railroaded or shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff

. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

No other theme park companies have this rare advantage given to them. You dont need ownership or controll over your own local government to operate a theme park business.

If there is one quote I believe with my very heart and soul, it's: "Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely" - Abraham Lincoln???

Last edited by a moderator:

the_rich

Well?....Disney is not a "person". Its a giant multi-facited conglomerate with growing polotical asperations. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

No other theme park companies have this rare advantage given to them. You dont need ownership or controll over your own local government to operate a theme park business.

If there is one quote I believe with my very heart and soul, it's: "Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely" - Abraham Lincoln???
And Lincoln didn't say that

lazyboy97o

Well?....Disney is not a "person". Its a giant multi-facited conglomerate with growing polotical asperations. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

Reedy Creek Improvement District was established to promote tourism. This is stated in its charter and the Supreme Court decision that upheld the District’s existence and authority.

You need things like electrical, water and sewer service to operate a theme park. You need things like roads to operate a theme park. You probably want things like safety standards to operate a theme park. Those things didn’t exist nor did the capacity to build them exist.

But yes, the people of Florida should be chanting that they want to pay their fair share of Disney’s bills.

TehPuddingMan

And Lincoln didn't say that
E336FF62-2B78-4266-AEF8-97C5B1D0F0EC.jpeg

lazyboy97o

But that language doesn't go into effect until the law is passed.
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

But if the district doesn't exist, how can it take assets back?

Disstevefan1

Do you think these are implicit or explicit goals of the State?
No. My thinking is right now under RCID they are slow. Maybe under RCID they can extend permits at will, and projects can just drag on forever.

I am just speculating, Under the new district, permits will for sure take longer to get approved. This will increase the time and hassle to get permits and if the permit expires, they have to go through the process again, taking more time.

Maybe, just maybe, under the new district, once going through the hassle getting the permit, they will make a point to finish a project just to not have to go through the permit process again.

Universal Orlando seems to get things done in a timely manner so there is hope.

But having said that, the reality is, it will probably take longer for anything to get done under the new district simply because the new district is not in TWDC’s back pocket anymore.

Ayla

As suggested by this CNN article, Disney has bigger problems to solve than what’s going on in Florida.

Leave it to the media to focus on the wrong thing. :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe, just maybe, under the new district, once going through the hassle getting the permit, they will make a point to finish a project just to not have to go through the permit process again.

The tail don't wag the dog.

Permits like these are formalities and administrative overhead once the actual criteria stuff is done. It's not like the permits are some fleeting window of opportunity to get something. They are just administrative overhead. The 5% isn't going to force the 95% to change.

Phicinfan

What Nelson peltz is doing is fine, whether I agree with it or not. But the state has no legal standing to do what they are doing. From the start they've made this about punishing them for their free speech. No one should ever like the idea of that happening.
As someone who has worked for a company that has been.... Peltzed, he isn't all that, and in fact generally can be a waste of perfectly good oxygen.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

What about Universal's rare advantage in having Disney pay for part of their infrastructure?

You see, both Disney and Uni pay county taxes, but only one of them receives infrastructure services from the county... that would be Uni.

Disney pays for its own infrastructure thru the RCID. And it does so on top of paying county taxes (without receiving county infrastructure services).

Disney pays twice. By a lot.

So yes, there is an advantage that Disney gets... by paying for it.

The taxpayers of the counties aren't paying for Disney's infrastructure. But they are paying for Uni's infrastructure.

So, the advantage Disney has is that it can direct the agency (indirectly... but really directly) providing infrastructure. But Disney has to pay for it.

You know who else gets that deal? Universal.

In the new roads being built to support Epic Universe, Universal is paying for part of the project while the county (all its taxpayers and Disney) are paying for the other part of this project. In this way, Universal is getting to do what Disney does, namely, to direct the infrastructure it wants... by paying for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom