News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Nubs70

Doesn’t Disney own the land already? So if real estate value is dropping isn’t it worth less now if they dump it back on market? Not moving the jobs saves them some relocation costs and obviously the cost of constructing the building but they also lose the tax credits. Short term it’s a financial gain to cancel but long term it’s harder to say.
The issue is with the $1B investment. The NPV calculation may well show that the $1B placed into another asset will provide a greater or even a simple positive return. I.E. spending $1B on an office complex is a bad investment.

BuddyThomas

I didn't know everyone became a stock broker overnight. I've never seen so much conjecture about stock price and how it relates to Disney park expansions.
It's exactly the same as how everyone on here became an epidemiologist overnight during COVID. That was all kinds of fun. And that's when the politics board was open. So extra extra fun. :p

Bleed0range

Just for anecdotal discussion (while I personally feel the stock price is unrelated to Park expansion), July 14, 2017, Disney's stock price closed at $104, the day later, they announced MMRR, Skyliner, Starcruiser, Space 220, and more.

2 Years later, Disney's stock closed at $130 before D23 2019, and they announced practically nothing.

Stock prices go up and down daily and seem too fluid to have too big of an effect on expansions that take a ton of money, time, investment. I would think they’re not that closely related. By the time anything were fully developed, engineered, built years would have gone by. The initial decision to expand in general is in an effort to make more money, be competitive and generate a higher stock price.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Republican mayor of Miami blasts DeSantis for allowing his "personal vendetta" to cost the state 2,000 jobs.

Regardless of whether or not this decision was made because of DeSantis, this isn't playing well for DeSantis.

ParentsOf4

Some are going to blame Desantis, but I suspect all of the above is rooted in bigger problems at Disney and he's just a symptom of those.
The Feud might have been the breaking point.

However, for a CEO who emphasizes the importance of creatives, forcing 2000 to move to FL was a bad look.

Perhaps more importantly, the company is looking to cut costs immediately. Sinking a billion into this did not make sense at this time.

All three played a factor. Which one was the most important depends on how you want to spin this.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The Feud might have been the breaking point.

However, for a CEO who emphasizes the importance of creatives, forcing 2000 to move to FL was a bad look.

Perhaps more importantly, the company is looking to cut costs immediately. Sinking a billion into this did not make sense at this time.

All three played a factor. Which one was the most important depends on how you want to spin this.

I think this is right. All three probably factored in, and the feud was likely not the primary reason.

However the timing and the language of the announcement certainly were done with the feud in mind.

And regardless of the true purpose, the narrative and perception is now out there that it was because of the feud, which harms DeSantis.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

I think this is right. All three probably factored in, and the feud was likely not the primary reason.

However the timing and the language of the announcement certainly were done with the feud in mind.

And regardless of the true purpose, the narrative and perception is now out there that it was because of the feud, which harms DeSantis.
Blaming DeSantis is the easiest narrative.

Disney and DeSantis are feuding. Disney cancels plans to move jobs to Florida. It’s a simple narrative that doesn’t require much background to write a story about.

It’s also the sexiest narrative.

This is Disney showing its expertise in working the media with their vague "changing business conditions" statement. This is the right play. They need to undercut DeSantis’ popularity. Suggesting DeSantis is to blame without explicitly stating it weakens DeSantis without being over-the-top. The media will fill in the blanks.

Disney continues to play this coolly while DeSantis plays this clumsily.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Disney and DeSantis are feuding. Disney cancels plans to move jobs to Florida. It’s a simple narrative that doesn’t require much background to write a story about.

This is Disney showing its expertise in working the media with their vague "changing business conditions" statement. This is the right play. They need to undercut DeSantis’ popularity. Suggesting DeSantis is to blame without explicitly stating it weakens DeSantis without being over-the-top. The media will fill in the blanks.

According to members of Congress who served with him, DeSantis is not likely to play it more cooly, but double down even more. That certainly won't bode well for his expected announced run next week. Nor for Florida if he continues to punish those he perceives as "enemies" of his policies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Iger's choice:

1. Announce the reversal of the Lake Nona project on a late Friday afternoon to get the least amount of negative press.​
2. Wait until one is being attacked by a local government and announce the reversal of a project and let people draw their own conclusions.​

Ghost93

I think Iger never liked the relocation of the jobs to Florida and the feud was "the straw that broke the camel's back."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Republican mayor of Miami blasts DeSantis for allowing his "personal vendetta" to cost the state 2,000 jobs.

Regardless of whether or not this decision was made because of DeSantis, this isn't playing well for DeSantis.

This is no surprise. Even if we were to put the retaliation component aside, he simply picked the wrong battle. There are better ones...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom