News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

tissandtully

2,000 jobs at an average salary of $120,000 is $2.4B in salary paid over the first decade. That’s a lot of money that can be spent on big things like housing and paying local taxes, but it’s also ancillary stuff like haircuts and dinners out and auto sales/repairs and home improvement projects, etc…. It’s a big blow to the local economy.
Don’t bring up haircuts, Michael Sasso is pretty sensitive

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
2,000 jobs at an average salary of $120,000 is $2.4B in salary paid over the first decade. That’s a lot of money that can be spent on big things like housing and paying local taxes, but it’s also ancillary stuff like haircuts and dinners out and auto sales/repairs and home improvement projects, etc…. It’s a big blow to the local economy.

That it is. And that the governor is so cavalier about that fact is shocking.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's not how stocks work.

Unless there is a huge crash in stocks (for example, an 90% drop), the price of the stocks doesn't affect a business's cash flow or its bottom line.

Disney made over a billion dollars last quarter. That figure would be the same whether DIS stock went up 20% or down 20%.

And cash on hand doesn't change when stocks go up or down.

Correct.

tissandtully

That it is. And that the governor is so cavalier about that fact is shocking.
Just for the cameras
1684446799577.jpeg

harry58

i realize it probably has not a direct connection to this site, but Disney also is completely shutting down the starwars hotel in september. It has only been open a year. (And yess, i know it underperformed) but announcing them both on the same day sends a pretty strong message about reconsidering investment here and also... i know a lot on here were against the relocation, but i live in lake nona and this will have a big impact in my local area.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here is an article about the current cancelled project. It does have some questionable language in it (I would personally allow it….but buyer beware). The section below highlights what we have been talking about.

In a memo to Disney employees, theme parks and consumer products head Josh D’Amaro announced the company would be putting the kibosh on the project, which would have been located next to the Lake Nona Town Center. The planned 1.8 million square foot complex outside of Orlando, which was internally controversial for a number of reasons when it was announced in 2021, would have involved the relocation of many employees from California to Florida, with D’Amaro citing Florida’s “business-friendly climate” as the reason for the change.

Apparently, however, the Disney company no longer deems Florida sufficiently “business-friendly.” In the memo sent Thursday, D’Amaro said he would be canceling the project due to “changing business conditions” in the state, though he “remain[ed] optimistic” about the evolution of Walt Disney World in general.

Brian

announcing them both on the same day sends a pretty strong message about reconsidering investment here
Not really. Disney and other large corporations do tend to consolidate announcements about various topics into the same day. They also carefully consider what day that will be. For example, if you don't want anyone to hear about it, announce it at 5pm on a Friday.

There is no connection between Starcruiser's closure and the politics of Florida.

harry58

Not really. Disney and other large corporations do tend to consolidate announcements about various topics into the same day. They also carefully consider what day that will be. For example, if you don't want anyone to hear about it, announce it at 5pm on a Friday.

There is no connection between Starcruiser's closure and the politics of Florida.
i said that it probably had no connection, but the announcement on the same day has tied them together in the public mind (here in lake nona at least) i just watched the local news. i feel this was intentional you of course are entitled to think not, since i have no evidence. but it was all rolled into the same story on local news

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yeah that one is just a write off. It only has 100 rooms (at a very high price) so it had to be full most of the time to turn a profit. Based on recent sales it was not.

BuddyThomas

Here is an article about the current cancelled project. It does have some questionable language in it (I would personally allow it….but buyer beware). The section below highlights what we have been talking about.

In a memo to Disney employees, theme parks and consumer products head Josh D’Amaro announced the company would be putting the kibosh on the project, which would have been located next to the Lake Nona Town Center. The planned 1.8 million square foot complex outside of Orlando, which was internally controversial for a number of reasons when it was announced in 2021, would have involved the relocation of many employees from California to Florida, with D’Amaro citing Florida’s “business-friendly climate” as the reason for the change.

Apparently, however, the Disney company no longer deems Florida sufficiently “business-friendly.” In the memo sent Thursday, D’Amaro said he would be canceling the project due to “changing business conditions” in the state, though he “remain[ed] optimistic” about the evolution of Walt Disney World in general.

I don’t blame them a bit. Why would they build one more thing with everything that is going on in that state? Any plans I may have had to visit are completely cancelled. I wouldn’t be caught dead there in the current environment- well - maybe I would be caught dead there because if I had an accident, a doctor can now choose to refuse to treat me. The Broadway community has discussed the idea of national tours of shows avoiding Florida altogether…..but I’ll believe that one when I see it. So yeah, whatever the reasons Disney has for cancellation of the project, I’m all with them not doing anything else in that state at this time.

Chip Chipperson

DeSantis office saying it’s not their fault basically

So the best spin they could come up with is, "Moving 2,000 employees to our state in exchange for a sizable tax break is an unsuccessful venture." Brilliant! I'm sure that won't come up during any hypothetical future televised events where Ron and other people with similar aspirations are on stage taking questions from some sort of journalist while rebutting each other.

Stripes

Premium Member
After the Florida tax credits, the real cost of the development was around $300 million.

I don’t know how much the GC3 buildings are worth, but if Disney sold those, the project may have paid for itself.

JAB

The Lake Nona news has been widely picked up and reported as FL losing out on money because of DeSantis, so outside of Disney news sites, the failure of Galactic Starcruiser is getting buried by the Lake Nona story. I wouldn't be surprised if releasing the news on the same day was done on purpose for exactly that reason.

Stripes

Premium Member
So the best spin they could come up with is, "Moving 2,000 employees to our state in exchange for a sizable tax break is an unsuccessful venture." Brilliant! I'm sure that won't come up during any hypothetical future televised events where Ron and other people with similar aspirations are on stage taking questions from some sort of journalist while rebutting each other.
And the fact those jobs are staying in “crazy” cAliFoRnIA!

flynnibus

Premium Member

And what prevents the Florida leadership from saying "hey, this is a one-two punch for our people... let's announce starcruiser later".

It's not like they didn't know these announcements were happening and there is no true need to do them together or at a specific time. To believe it is mere coincidence while the direct people involved would know about both... is.. far less likely IMO.

Brian

And what prevents the Florida leadership from saying "hey, this is a one-two punch for our people... let's announce starcruiser later".

It's not like they didn't know these announcements were happening and there is no true need to do them together or at a specific time. To believe it is mere coincidence while the direct people involved would know about both... is.. far less likely IMO.
The PR department generally makes those calls. That said, I do think that @JAB 's theory is correct, and the negative press of Starcruiser closing was intentionally buried by the "juicer" story of DeSantis allegedly costing the state all those jobs and revenue.

LAKid53

Premium Member
i realize it probably has not a direct connection to this site, but Disney also is completely shutting down the starwars hotel in september. It has only been open a year. (And yess, i know it underperformed) but announcing them both on the same day sends a pretty strong message about reconsidering investment here and also... i know a lot on here were against the relocation, but i live in lake nona and this will have a big impact in my local area.

Yes it will. Losing 2000 jobs paying an average of $120K will have a big impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom