News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member

This is the bill in question.
Silly. If anything they should look to expand that not take it away. No reason to have questionably safe aircraft flying over crowds anywhere. Out over the ocean at a beach is one thing, if they go down it’s dinner for 1 for the nearest shark 🦈, but over a crowded tourist attraction it’s potentially hundreds or thousands of casualties.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Silly. If anything they should look to expand that not take it away. No reason to have questionably safe aircraft flying over crowds anywhere. Out over the ocean at a beach is one thing, if they go down it’s dinner for 1 for the nearest shark 🦈, but over a crowded tourist attraction it’s potentially hundreds or thousands of casualties.
This isn't going anywhere.

GimpYancIent

I fully agree with expanding not eliminating the no-fly zones over the parks. As it is now aircraft violate the no-fly space regularly it would be nightmarish it there was no restrictions.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Circling back to Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake; do you think Disney is advising them on what to do? I find it surprising that those residents have not really made a sound since this all started.

LittleBuford

“I’m proud to reintroduce my bill, the Airlines Independent of Restrictions (AIR) Act, in the 118th Congress to revoke Disney’s special no-fly zone privileges,” said Congressman Nehls. “Theme parks like Disney should not receive special treatment just because they are well-connected. Our national security should not be compromised to fit the needs of one corporation.”​
“Woke corporations shouldn’t get any favors from the government,” said Congresswoman Boebert. “The FAA has no business granting a no-fly-zone over Disney parks. Universal Studios, Hershey Park, Six Flags, and other theme parks don’t have no-fly-zones over them, and it’s time for Disney to get the same treatment. No corporation should get preferential treatment from the government—especially when it is grooming children. Go woke, go broke.”​

You'd think these people would have better things to do with their time. To be clear, I don't think Disney deserves this particular privilege when other resorts don't have it (even if I, as a guest, am personally grateful for it), but I deplore the use of the issue for ideological point-scoring. The vindictive intent and disgusting rhetoric underpinning this anti-Disney campaign are beyond the pale.

GimpYancIent

“I’m proud to reintroduce my bill, the Airlines Independent of Restrictions (AIR) Act, in the 118th Congress to revoke Disney’s special no-fly zone privileges,” said Congressman Nehls. “Theme parks like Disney should not receive special treatment just because they are well-connected. Our national security should not be compromised to fit the needs of one corporation.”​
“Woke corporations shouldn’t get any favors from the government,” said Congresswoman Boebert. “The FAA has no business granting a no-fly-zone over Disney parks. Universal Studios, Hershey Park, Six Flags, and other theme parks don’t have no-fly-zones over them, and it’s time for Disney to get the same treatment. No corporation should get preferential treatment from the government—especially when it is grooming children. Go woke, go broke.”​

You'd think these people would have better things to do with their time. To be clear, I don't think Disney deserves this particular privilege when other resorts don't have it (even if I, as a guest, am personally grateful for it), but I deplore the use of the issue for ideological point-scoring. The vindictive intent and disgusting rhetoric underpinning this anti-Disney campaign are beyond the pale.
To be honest all the high-profile amusement areas / parks mentioned should be granted no-fly zone status not the other way around.

LittleBuford

To be honest all the high-profile amusement areas / parks mentioned should be granted no-fly zone status not the other way around.
I didn’t mean to suggest that Disney should be deprived of its no-fly status; I just meant that I saw no reason they should enjoy the privilege when other resorts didn’t. Your idea seems like a good solution, though I don’t know enough about the issue to really assess its feasibility.

tissandtully

I didn’t mean to suggest that Disney should be deprived of its no-fly status; I just meant that I saw no reason they should enjoy the privilege when other resorts didn’t. Your idea seems like a good solution, though I don’t know enough about the issue to really assess its feasibility.
Definitely was one of the largest soft targets for terrorism, but sadly we don't have to worry about foreigners with planes anymore, just domestic terrorism and that probably won't come by plane. Sigh :(

Brian

Just a general reminder and suggestion to all that Disney fans are not the only ones with access to search engines and this site. Be careful what you post regarding security measures/"what ifs," as you may unintentionally "inspire" someone with malicious intent.

tissandtully

Sadly, the possibility of using a manned or unmanned aircraft to conduct some kind of attack / initiate some kind of disaster is every bit as possible now as before. The risks have not changed, thankfully no one has gotten the motivation to attempt such an attack, but the threat is still very real.
Not really, there's more threats domestic than abroad currently. 3 administrations have done significant damage to terrorist networks and also they see us fighting amongst ourselves and don't see why they need to bother.

ParkMan73

Disney's parks have a significantly higher name recognition around the world. Hershey Park and Six Flags simply do not. Universal is getting there, but it's name recognition around the world is still significantly less.

Patcheslee

Error in article, banned businesses included bowling alleys. I recall a location ( Splitsville ) that you could go bowling, drink and eat by AMC at Disney Springs years ago.
I thought that applies to CFTOD building those things, but Disney can.

There are still flight restrictions over stadiums above 30K capacity during sports events. Maybe the treatment needs to be all theme/amusement parks are no fly zones.

ParkMan73

The no-fly zones are about security, not about creating a privilage for Disney.

I see that they are both very conservative, still pretty new House members. My guess is that this never even makes it out of committee.

tissandtully

I see that they are both very conservative, still pretty new House members. My guess is that this never even makes it out of committee.
I'd also like to add that the "no-fly zone" over WDW (that doesn't even go over DHS btw), you can still fly through there, you just have to let the FAA know what you are doing, companies do it all the time

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's a little bit of both.

There is a commercial benefit for Disney to limit that traffic... but there was also a security reason as well. The security one is justifiable, but could be scrutinized for relevancy. The 'uniqueness' aspect vs other parks is not something that can be analyzed purely by comparing companies, but should include the actual issues of where something is, the threat, and the viability.

The commercial aspect is far more interesting to Disney to keep control over the bubble. The security aspect should be independently assessed.. and is something the FAA and it's oversight should be responsible for. Not stupid FL congressman.

JohnD

I'd also like to add that the "no-fly zone" over WDW (that doesn't even go over DHS btw), you can still fly through there, you just have to let the FAA know what you are doing, companies do it all the time
Anecdotal, I noticed that during HEA several weeks ago. I saw a plane flying right over Cinderella Castle and it wasn't an airliner at 30,000 feet either.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom