News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chi84

Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you go on Youtube there are plenty of videos of Walt showing what he had planned and the press conference with the Governor stating he did not want a sequel but something entirely new.
Yes, but that *idea* was already on the back burner by the time RCID was proposed to the state. The state was drooling at the potential for what Disneyland East was gonna do for them...

Walt's vision was very much still just an idea -- which the company parked and pivoted away from virtually immediately after Walt passed. The resort was the company's priority -- which still had the majority of the same needs. The entire property, not just EPCOT, were being designed to be forward thinking from the start... which RCID helped enable.

The notion that RCID was only to serve the purpose of building EPCOT is fiction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still feel that what the state thought they were going to get and what they actually got are very different. Universal seems to be doing very well without the benefits. I agree it is a much smaller scale land wise but they managed.
They also built nearly 20 yrs later in an entirely different area in an economic base that was already riding on the back of Disney.

mmascari

If you go on Youtube there are plenty of videos of Walt showing what he had planned and the press conference with the Governor stating he did not want a sequel but something entirely new.
What Walt had visions for and what the RCID was set up to achieve were different things. They did not have the same requirements. Do any of those videos actually tie the two together? Or are they just suggestive?

flynnibus

Premium Member
What Walt had visions for and what the RCID was set up to achieve were different things. They did not have the same requirements. Do any of those videos actually tie the two together? Or are they just suggestive?
We know RCID was created to be forward looking to include EPCOT concepts - it just wasn't ONLY for EPCOT. That's the falsehood... that without EPCOT there was no need for RCID or it was some sort of switcheroo.

Which is why it makes for such a plausible conspiracy plot... always have some threads of truth woven in so you can have something to make your incredible leaps from :)

MagicHappens1971

I love Disney and have been a shareholder for several decades. That being said, I really believe Reedy Creek should have been dissolved in the early 70's.

Reedy Creek came about because Walt's original plan centered around EPCOT which was going to basically be a city. The original plans that were provided to the state at the time Reedy Creek was created included businesses, residences, recreation, transportation, and all the infrastructure to create a city that you could live, work, and play in.

This was never built. Had Walt have just proposed building a theme park I do not believe Reedy Creek would have existed.
This is wrong, but even if you had just skimmed through a few pages you would see that this has been asked and answered countless times

StaceyH_SD

If the state of Florida did not like the arrangement they had anytime in the last 50+ years to dissolve it. They didn’t. In fact, the last time Florida reviewed doing just that - in 2004 I think? - they came to the conclusion that it was a benefit to both the state and Disney/the local area to keep the arrangement as is.

MagicHappens1971

If the state of Florida did not like the arrangement they had anytime in the last 50+ years to dissolve it. They didn’t. In fact, the last time Florida reviewed doing just that - in 2004 I think? - they came to the conclusion that it was a benefit to both the state and Disney/the local area to keep the arrangement as is.
I posted a ton of screenshots and proof from a 2004 report from the Office of Government Accountability where yes, they affirmed that RCID was serving its purpose.

Here's the link if anyone would like to give it a read.

Patcheslee

Baseless speculation, but I’d even venture that the Board likely prefers the car and suburb focused urban design that still dominated in the mid-60s and not more contemporary urban design. I don’t buy for a second that any of these people actually believe there should be more affordable housing. Like everything, they likely see it as a punishment and it’s only a punishment because it’s something they view as undesirable.
Some of the meetings touch on finances and income. Of course if they build housing in the district, it becomes more income for them. They would have income from all the utilities associated with the properties along with rent.

Stripes

Premium Member
I posted a ton of screenshots and proof from a 2004 report from the Office of Government Accountability where yes, they affirmed that RCID was serving its purpose.

Here's the link if anyone would like to give it a read.
And the reason the report was requested was because the legislative committee was concerned about the possibility that Comcast would acquire Disney and take the district in a new direction, thereby implying that they were happy with Disney’s control and concerned about the district potentially straying from its existing path.

tissandtully

Lilofan

Error in article, banned businesses included bowling alleys. I recall a location ( Splitsville ) that you could go bowling, drink and eat by AMC at Disney Springs years ago.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Interestingly, there's the Target liquor store off of Herzog, which is still "on property"

lazyboy97o

Error in article, banned businesses included bowling alleys. I recall a location ( Splitsville ) that you could go bowling, drink and eat by AMC at Disney Springs years ago.
Interestingly, there's the Target liquor store off of Herzog, which is still "on property"
The Walgreens also has a liquor store, in the same shopping center.
The prohibited uses are from the restrictive covenants that restrict what the District can build on its property. They’re not district-wide bans for all property owners, just the District.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It is not a state for a reason, everyone knew that when moving there. The structure exists to change that if you can get enough people to agree...that is how it works.
It's interesting that you say that, because DeSantis has been on a habit of signing legislation that has overwhelming majorities of the state against it.

Or I could say "that's wishful thinking" since the US doesn't really function as advertised.

mmascari

How come every sentence that includes "self governing" in it uses the rest of the sentence to create context that this is a bad thing?

For instance, I've lived in towns where the town was self governing and elected its own town council.
I've lived in unincorporated land where the county was self governing and elected its own county council.
I've lived in townships where the town was self governing and elected its own mayor.

Nobody ever wrote stories implying that those being "self governing" was a bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite. It was a good thing that the people impacted by the local governing had a say in the local governing. All that stuff about pushing more things down to the local level.

What's with all the news stories creating context that this is a bad thing in the RCID case.

Much like how they always imply but don't state that "special tax district" is way of getting out of taxes. When the unsaid truth is that a "special tax district" is an area where extra special taxes are collected on top of normal taxes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom