News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A DVC class action should be started expecially if it going to up the taxes we pay on DVC

I actually pondered whether our status as DVC owners might give us standing to challenge some of the recent actions of the board. I think it likely does, and I would certainly join in a lawsuit if someone else wants to get it going.
You mean the like $0.10 of taxes?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW's "special tax" district...

$1.146 billion in State and Local Taxes​

As the largest single taxpayer in Central Florida, Walt Disney World paid and collected $1.146 billion in state and local taxes during 2022.​

…get dem freeloaders!!

‘MERICA!!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because I don't think anyone actually cares. It's all performative. Once the primary is over, the performance is no longer necessary.
Mr never back down is suddenly going to just back down?🙄🙄🙄 I doubt that. This started as a political stunt for sure, we agree on that, but he has been damaged already by this and is angry that he was publicly embarrassed. It’s personal now. No way he just drops the case. If he loses he will appeal on the hope to overturn the verdict.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
he has been damaged already by this
I'm not convinced.

The people mad at him are:
  • Democrats (who don't matter yet)
  • Independent Disney fans (who are too few in number to ever matter)
  • GOP establishment (who he WANTS mad at him to beef up his populist bona fides and who will support him in the end no matter what if he's the only chance of bringing down Trump)
  • Trump (who was going to tear into him about every possible issue no matter what)

Fido Chuckwagon

One of the lawyers I spoke with *last year* about this predicted 7-2 (Alito, Thomas) or 6-3 (plus one of ACB, BK, or NG) at worst, on Contracts Clause.

Honestly, I don’t see three SCJs just skipping over the fact that the state has completely ignored US Trust. That would be a big change.
Odds are this thing never makes it to the Supreme Court. There’s really nothing novel about it except for how egregious and stupid the governor’s actions were, it’s otherwise pretty cut and dry and fits neatly into existing precedent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those attacks are coming from GOP establishment types who are polling at like 2% support. I don't think Nikki Haley is a reasonable barometer of where the Republican base is in 2023.
Actually if we include Trump in the group attacking DeSantis over this they make up over 2/3 of the voters in the latest Fox News poll. DeSantis sits at 21%….about the same as Kennedy in the Dem primary. The trend isn’t looking great either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not convinced.

The people mad at him are:
  • Democrats (who don't matter yet)
  • Independent Disney fans (who are too few in number to ever matter)
  • GOP establishment (who he WANTS mad at him to beef up his populist bona fides and who will support him in the end no matter what if he's the only chance of bringing down Trump)
  • Trump (who was going to tear into him about every possible issue no matter what)
You left off the mega donors who have paused donations. He can’t go up against Trump let alone Biden without money and some of his biggest donors have publicly stated they don’t like his stance on the Disney conflict.

Lilofan

…get dem freeloaders!!

‘MERICA!!!
I disagree. If DeSantis loses the GOP primary in 2024, he has 2 more years as governor. Depending on who wins the general election, he can run in 2028 in a wide open field. He doesn't want to run as "the man who lost to Mickey".
FL law - that one who seeks a federal, state job must in 10 days resign their current role ( ie as governor of FL ). Has the GOP overturned that one yet ?

Chi84

Premium Member
You left off the mega donors who have paused donations. He can’t go up against Trump let alone Biden without money and some of his biggest donors have publicly stated they don’t like his stance on the Disney conflict.
The people with the numbers and the people with the money have a symbiotic relationship. In this particular one, I'll bet on the money in the end. They're pulling the strings.

Lilofan

Billionaire Bloomberg of NYC spent $500M of his own money in hopes and that didn't even help him. But he still is worth currently $94B.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
FL law - that one who seeks a federal, state job must in 10 days resign their current role ( ie as governor of FL ). Has the GOP overturned that one yet ?

The bill has passed the Legislature. It's gone to the governor for signature.

But that's not how the remaining resign-to-run works. Candidates for an office which term conflicts with the current office must submit their irrevocable resignation no less than 10 days prior to when qualifying opens for the office sought. If the office holder wins election, then the resignation become effective either when term of new office begins or a successor fills the old office. If the person loses the election, then they are out of office when current term ends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom