News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Lilofan

I still think it’s shocking the business community, the tourism community, and the theme park community have not spoken out at all about what has been happening. If the entire community rallied around Disney, it would send a very powerful message to Tallahassee. And frankly they should, the precedent being set can impact them one day.
And further feel the wrath of DeSantis retaliation ?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I still think it’s shocking the business community, the tourism community, and the theme park community have not spoken out at all about what has been happening. If the entire community rallied around Disney, it would send a very powerful message to Tallahassee. And frankly they should, the precedent being set can impact them one day.

I think the only other company in a position to do that people would listen to is Comcast. But Uni wouldn't want to jeopardize Epic Universe or the new district it wants.

Plus people HATE Comcast. Not that many would make the connection between Universal and Comcast.

lazyboy97o

For all the talk of how DeSantis has fumbled this, he has very much succeeded in his goal of chilling speech. It’s probably a good thing he won’t settle for less than his maximalist goals.

Stripes

Premium Member
The stark warning at the end of the article really does outline the importance of this case.

“At the beginning of this piece, I said that DeSantis should lose, not that he will lose. Court outcomes are never completely certain, but this much is correct: A Disney defeat would represent a dangerous reversal in First Amendment jurisprudence and cast a pall of fear over private expression. In its complaint, Disney wrote, “In America the government cannot punish you for speaking your mind.” That is true now and will remain so if Disney wins its case. If Disney loses, on the other hand, America’s first liberty will be at risk, and the culture wars will escalate out of control.”
If Disney loses on their First Amendment claims, it would be an incredibly dangerous precedent to set.

This case will likely be one of the most important cases in U.S. history.

WDWHero

Publix is in for a fight from a powerhouse - Amazon
More like Kroger, Kroger has moved into Publix turf doing deliveries only from central warehouses that are only for delivery. They are cheaper than Publix as well and cheaper than Instacart. It’s a very smart move.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If Disney loses on their First Amendment claims, it would be an incredibly dangerous precedent to set.

This case will likely be one of the most important cases in U.S. history.
There's an extremely important distinction that I think people are missing.

There are questions of fact and there are questions of law, and Disney could theoretically lose on either one.

Questions of fact are decided by juries in jury trials and by the judge in "bench trials." Questions of law are decided by the judge. Questions of law are what get appealed and decided by the appellate courts and SCOTUS. Appellate courts generally do not weigh in on the facts.

With regard to the First Amendment claims:
  • The question of fact is whether DeSantis and the Florida legislature did pass this legislation to retaliate against Disney for their speech.
  • The question of law is whether passing this law in retaliation against Disney for their speech is unconstitutional.
If Disney loses on the facts, this case will be entirely inconsequential for any other future cases. If they lose on the law (which they won't), then it would indeed be consequential.

Losing on the facts has nothing to do with "precedent."

Stripes

Premium Member
There's an extremely important distinction that I think people are missing.

There are questions of fact and there are questions of law, and Disney could theoretically lose on either one.

Questions of fact are decided by juries in jury trials and by the judge in "bench trials." Questions of law are decided by the judge. Questions of law are what get appealed and decided by the appellate courts and SCOTUS. Appellate courts generally do not weigh in on the facts.

With regard to the First Amendment claims:
  • The question of fact is whether DeSantis and the Florida legislature did pass this legislation to retaliate against Disney for their speech.
  • The question of law is whether passing this law in retaliation against Disney for their speech is unconstitutional.
If Disney loses on the facts, this case will be entirely inconsequential for any other future cases. If they lose on the law (which they won't), then it would indeed be consequential.

Losing on the facts has nothing to do with "precedent."
I believe that losing on the facts, in this case, would still set a precedent.

Never before has a governor and so many members of the legislature been so boastful, intentional, and public in their acts of retaliation.

In other words, if the court determines that Disney could not demonstrate that these laws were passed in retaliation for Disney’s free speech, then the court would essentially be giving legislatures across this nation license to retaliate against citizens and businesses for exercising a constitutional right.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Never before has a governor and so many members of the legislature been so boastful and intentional in their acts of retaliation.

In other words, if the court determines that Disney could not demonstrate that these laws were passed in retaliation for Disney’s free speech, then the court would essentially be giving legislatures across this nation license to retaliate against citizens and businesses for exercising a constitutional right.
That's not how precedent works.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Never before has a governor and so many members of the legislature been so boastful and intentional in their acts of retaliation.

When the governor and Legislature have boasted in press conferences and interviews that the legislation was to strip Disney of its "privilege" for speech, when floor discussion of the bills confirmed the same and the attorney general backed it up, I find it difficult that Disney would lose on fact. You can make all the comments about politicians making grand statements, but floor discussions have been used to determine legislative intent when a bill is unclear.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know, that's why I hate it. Unless you're super rural, counties are way too big to effectively manage schools. I strongly favor municipal control of education so that administrators are directly accountable to parents.
Because you live in the only region of the country (NE) that has the idea of every little village is it's own town or township for dated historical reasons.

Meanwhile everywhere else has state delegated down to county or overlaid school districts.. or where there is big density, city, management of education.

The NE form of local government is dated and not applicable to the vast majority of the country.

Touchdown

Because you live in the only region of the country (NE) that has the idea of every little village is it's own town or township for dated historical reasons.

Meanwhile everywhere else has state delegated down to county or overlaid school districts.. or where there is big density, city, management of education.

The NE form of local government is dated and not applicable to the vast majority of the country.
In the far NE state of Wisconsin our schools are controlled at the municipal level. Ditto Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and Illinois. So it’s not just the NE, Midwest too.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Which I think is dumb no matter who's in charge or what the issue is.

Ted Cruz got raked over the coals for going on vacation when Texas had their power crisis a couple of years ago.

A politician's physical presence in a disaster area does nothing to make the disaster any better. If anything, it's a distraction and an unnecessary drain on resources to accommodate the media, security, logistics, etc.

Ted Cruz wasn't governor of the state of Texas. I'm specifically referring to the CEO of the state.

When the largest city in your state is on fire, when the fire department will no longer respond to burning buildings because they are being shot at, you'd better damn well get your rear back and handle it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's factually untrue. Villages are informal divisions that exist within incorporated municipalities, they're not the incorporated municipalities themselves.

New Jersey is structured similarly. And depending on the ranking system, the top 5 states for public K-12 education in the country almost always include Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Jersey. So maybe we're doing something right.

But no you're right, we should go with massive school districts with superintendents who make $400,000 so we can save a few dollars by negotiating a unified contract with the bus company.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom