News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Tell that to the last several presidents prior to the last two, who kept their place as governor or senator. And a bunch of the losing candidates. 🤷‍♂️

If you're governor of a major state and decide to run for POTUS, either wait until your term is up or resign. It's not fair to the citizens of the state you're the CEO to both govern and run for an office that now has a campaign season that runs 18 months.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you're governor of a major state and decide to run for POTUS, either wait until your term is up or resign. It's not fair to the citizens of the state you're the CEO to both govern and run for an office that now has a campaign season that runs 18 months.
Again. Tell that to the previous presidents. And remember this the next time the person you want to win doesn’t step down.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Is your argument that the timing of all this shouldn’t matter?
Correct.

The reason matters, the timing doesn't.

If the action was retaliatory, it was retaliatory regardless of when it took place relative to Disney's comments on the Parental Rights bill, and regardless of the timing in the governor's term.

If a brand new governor of Texas came in and said "I'm going to push for legislation on Day 1 to screw Tesla for something Elon Musk said in 1997," that's just as bad as what DeSantis did here.

lentesta

Premium Member
The author is a conservative who actually supported the original legislation that Disney spoke out against, so his position is interesting. He's also a more traditional conservative (he falls in the Never Trump camp).

Thing is, if this gets to the supreme court, of the six Rwpublican-appointed justices, I see three of them as more "traditional conservative" - Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Barrett; one as libertarian - Gorsuch, and two as more radical and partisan - Alito and Thomas.

With the three Democrat appointed justices, I can see anywhere from a 5-4 decision in favor of Disney to a 7-2 decision. I can see an outside change of a 5-4 decision in favor of DeSantis, but only if all three progressives side with him, which I think is unlikely.

Interesting given that the state approved the plan.

One of the lawyers I spoke with *last year* about this predicted 7-2 (Alito, Thomas) or 6-3 (plus one of ACB, BK, or NG) at worst, on Contracts Clause.

Honestly, I don’t see three SCJs just skipping over the fact that the state has completely ignored US Trust. That would be a big change.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I just saw a clip of DeSantis speaking and when asked about the Disney situation he said he’s not going to let a corporation control their own government and avoid taxes. Why continue stating something that is just a blatant lie? They were not avoiding taxes. When someone insists on lying about something as basic and provable as this it invalidates anything else they say on the topic.
If it's the clip I'm thinking of, it was from April 2022 or something like that and it's been picking up steam on social media again.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I've never supported the governor of this state running, losing and keeping his office.
"But why didn't you speak up about it before now?"

Isn't that the standard we're applying? Any opinion someone expresses, you get to clap back at them "tHeN wHy DiDnT yOu SaY sOmEtHiNg AbOuT iT yEaRs AgO!!!!!?"

Brian

I thought they were second, after Walmart.
From the FL Department of Economic Opportunity.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 12.54.45.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"But why didn't you speak up about it before now?"

Isn't that the standard we're applying? Any opinion someone expresses, you get to clap back at them "tHeN wHy DiDnT yOu SaY sOmEtHiNg AbOuT iT yEaRs AgO!!!!!?"
There was a law on the books that didn’t allow it so no reason to speak out against something that is already not allowed.

Disney Analyst

The author is a conservative who actually supported the original legislation that Disney spoke out against, so his position is interesting. He's also a more traditional conservative (he falls in the Never Trump camp).

Thing is, if this gets to the supreme court, of the six Rwpublican-appointed justices, I see three of them as more "traditional conservative" - Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Barrett; one as libertarian - Gorsuch, and two as more radical and partisan - Alito and Thomas.

With the three Democrat appointed justices, I can see anywhere from a 5-4 decision in favor of Disney to a 7-2 decision. I can see an outside change of a 5-4 decision in favor of DeSantis, but only if all three progressives side with him, which I think is unlikely.

Interesting given that the state approved the plan.

The stark warning at the end of the article really does outline the importance of this case.

“At the beginning of this piece, I said that DeSantis should lose, not that he will lose. Court outcomes are never completely certain, but this much is correct: A Disney defeat would represent a dangerous reversal in First Amendment jurisprudence and cast a pall of fear over private expression. In its complaint, Disney wrote, “In America the government cannot punish you for speaking your mind.” That is true now and will remain so if Disney wins its case. If Disney loses, on the other hand, America’s first liberty will be at risk, and the culture wars will escalate out of control.”

flynnibus

Premium Member
And it won’t be the last I’m sure, depending on how many states have this in place. It’s a silly law. Doesn’t make sense to stop your state’s top leader from running, IMO. We wouldn’t really be talking about it if it were not for Ron’s silly disney fight.
Then are they not repealing this silly law entirely?

LittleBuford

Correct.

The reason matters, the timing doesn't.

If the action was retaliatory, it was retaliatory regardless of when it took place relative to Disney's comments on the Parental Rights bill, and regardless of the timing in the governor's term.

If a brand new governor of Texas came in and said "I'm going to push for legislation on Day 1 to screw Tesla for something Elon Musk said in 1997," that's just as bad as what DeSantis did here.
The timing is part of what makes it retaliatory, though. I don’t really see how you can divorce the two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom