News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JAB

At this point I have to believe people either didn't read the article or don't care what it says. They just want to repeat that Disney shouldn't run its own government.
The most frustrating thing for me with this claim by DeSantis and his supporters is the belief that "running its own government" gave Disney free reign to do anything they wanted and could just ignore state and county laws, implying that they didn't have to pay taxes or follow safety regulations, when in reality, they paid more taxes and in many cases actually implemented stricter regulations than the state or county.

In addition, he added to the misinformation about what Disney's "own government" allowed it to do by making it seem like the inspection exemption was part of RCID and that, by adding new inspections, he's just making Disney "play by the same rules" when the truth is that the inspection exemption is completely separate legislation from RCID, and it grants Universal and Sea World the same benefit, yet the "fair" new inspection bills are worded to only affect Disney and not the other exempt parks, adding more credence to the claim that Disney is being singled out and that punishing them is their actual goal rather than "leveling the playing field" as they claim.

lentesta

Premium Member
With tomorrow’s board meeting, and the board being left to enforce the will of the emperor for the time being. What can we expect the board to do to the district in the time they still have power?

More rhetoric? When do we expect the injunction to be issued so they can’t cause more harm?

I think it’s to set up their legal defense, no?

The big decision, I think, is whether they go with their existing lawyers to defend the entire board as one unit.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This isn't the first time the resign-to-run law has been modified so a Republican can run for federal office.
And it won’t be the last I’m sure, depending on how many states have this in place. It’s a silly law. Doesn’t make sense to stop your state’s top leader from running, IMO. We wouldn’t really be talking about it if it were not for Ron’s silly disney fight.

lazyboy97o

He’s not retaliatory just incompetent is his position?
That’s pretty much the position they have to take with the Comprehensive Plan since the District is now claiming it doesn’t actually comply with state law.
There are 1,844 special districts in Florida. I guarantee you that there isn't a single person on the planet that is aware of every single one of them.
The Acting Secretary of the Department of Economic Opportunity is named in the suit because that’s the department’s job. Not know is fine, but it doesn’t explain the sudden, multiple emergencies that required no study and two special sessions.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And it won’t be the last I’m sure, depending on how many states have this in place. It’s a silly law. Doesn’t make sense to stop your state’s top leader from running, IMO. We wouldn’t really be talking about it if it were not for Ron’s silly disney fight.

Except every time a sitting governor considers running for federal office, it is talked about - when Bob Graham ran for US Senate in 1986 and Rick Scott in 2010. Graham resigned before his term as senator started. Scott refused to do so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The most frustrating thing for me with this claim by DeSantis and his supporters is the belief that "running its own government" gave Disney free reign to do anything they wanted and could just ignore state and county laws, implying that they didn't have to pay taxes or follow safety regulations, when in reality, they paid more taxes and in many cases actually implemented stricter regulations than the state or county.

In addition, he added to the misinformation about what Disney's "own government" allowed it to do by making it seem like the inspection exemption was part of RCID and that, by adding new inspections, he's just making Disney "play by the same rules" when the truth is that the inspection exemption is completely separate legislation from RCID, and it grants Universal and Sea World the same benefit, yet the "fair" new inspection bills are worded to only affect Disney and not the other exempt parks, adding more credence to the claim that Disney is being singled out and that punishing them is their actual goal rather than "leveling the playing field" as they claim.
I just saw a clip of DeSantis speaking and when asked about the Disney situation he said he’s not going to let a corporation control their own government and avoid taxes. Why continue stating something that is just a blatant lie? They were not avoiding taxes. When someone insists on lying about something as basic and provable as this it invalidates anything else they say on the topic.

peter11435

Disagree. I think it’s an important law that should exist everywhere. Running for president is itself a full time job. There is no way that someone can hold an elected office such as governor and adequately perform their duties while simultaneously holding the full time job that is running a presidential campaign. Not to mention the potential of using the power and resources of your current position as a tool to grow, publicize, and fund your campaign.

mikejs78

Premium Member

An opinion piece that references a case that was about a privilege. Nixing a privilege was still considered a punishment.

The author is a conservative who actually supported the original legislation that Disney spoke out against, so his position is interesting. He's also a more traditional conservative (he falls in the Never Trump camp).

Thing is, if this gets to the supreme court, of the six Rwpublican-appointed justices, I see three of them as more "traditional conservative" - Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Barrett; one as libertarian - Gorsuch, and two as more radical and partisan - Alito and Thomas.

With the three Democrat appointed justices, I can see anywhere from a 5-4 decision in favor of Disney to a 7-2 decision. I can see an outside change of a 5-4 decision in favor of DeSantis, but only if all three progressives side with him, which I think is unlikely.

since the District is now claiming it doesn’t actually comply with state law.

Interesting given that the state approved the plan.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Except every time a sitting governor considers running for federal office, it is talked about - when Bob Graham ran for US Senate in 1986 and Rick Scott in 2010. Graham resigned before his term as senator started. Scott refused to do so.
Talk about it if you want. I just don’t see it as a controversial move. Bill Clinton. George Bush. Heck even Rick Perry. Not to mention all the senators that didn’t resign.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disagree. I think it’s an important law that should exist everywhere. Running for president is itself a full time job. There is no way that someone can hold an elected office such as governor and adequately perform their duties while simultaneously holding the full time job that is running a presidential campaign. Not to mention the potential of using the power and resources of your current position as a tool to grow, publicize, and fund your campaign.

And he was out of the country most of last week. As Session moves toward the end. Can't remember any governor going off on trade missions during the last two weeks of session.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Tell that to the last several presidents prior to the last two, who kept their place as governor or senator. And a bunch of the losing candidates. 🤷‍♂️

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the simple solution would be to require a “leave if absence” instead of a resignation. The Lt Governor takes over temporarily similar to a medical disability and if the Governor comes back later they continue their term. The fact of the matter is DeSantis will not be governing during his campaign, the Lt Governor will be handling the day to day so why not make it official. There are certain actions like signing a bill or certain executive powers that require the Governor so just hand those powers over to #2 temporarily. Easy solution.

LittleBuford

Why continue stating something that is just a blatant lie? They were not avoiding taxes. When someone insists on lying about something as basic and provable as this it invalidates anything else they say on the topic.
I think it’s become very clear since the middle of last decade that telling demonstrable lies doesn’t carry the same risk that it used to for political figures. Those among their supporters who want to believe will simply go on doing so.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I just saw a clip of DeSantis speaking and when asked about the Disney situation he said he’s not going to let a corporation control their own government and avoid taxes. Why continue stating something that is just a blatant lie? They were not avoiding taxes. When someone insists on lying about something as basic and provable as this it invalidates anything else they say on the topic.

Nor did the state take away the $578 million tax incentive IT granted Disney to move WDI to Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom