News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

drnilescrane

Could you elaborate? I don’t recall the incident to which you are referencing?
The month it opened, there was a vehicle collision in one of the stations. The Reedy Creek Fire Department insisted on doing a vehicular evacuation, which turned what should have been a 1 hour downtime at worst into a multi hour ordeal.

The skyliner has been a massive point of contention in the union negotiations, with the firefighters wanting extra manning and that additional boat to assist with evacs. They were proving a point that night.

lazyboy97o

The month it opened, there was a vehicle collision in one of the stations. The Reedy Creek Fire Department insisted on doing a vehicular evacuation, which turned what should have been a 1 hour downtime at worst into a multi hour ordeal.

The skyliner has been a massive point of contention in the union negotiations, with the firefighters wanting extra manning and that additional boat to assist with evacs. They were proving a point that night.
One has to wonder if the union regrets so quickly jumping in with the governor. The new board is obviously not in a hurry to give raises and buy equipment, choosing to use funds for other endeavors. Now there’s the prospect of injunctions and even Disney possibly prevailing.

drnilescrane

One has to wonder if the union regrets so quickly jumping in with the governor. The new board is obviously not in a hurry to give raises and buy equipment, choosing to use funds for other endeavors. Now there’s the prospect of injunctions and even Disney possibly prevailing.
Even if the board wanted to write a big generous check, the board ostensibly needs to run a balanced budget…. and is about to spend millions on crony lawyers. Oh well, that’s Disney’s fault - you’ll just have to suck it up RCFD.

Last edited:

hopemax

It can vary wildly by where you are in the country, although in general the content of textbooks nationwide is heavily influenced by the Texas Board of Education.
It can vary by school. DH grew up in a neighboring county and his history curriculum was way less complete than mine. This was 1989-1993, BTW. We had graduation requirements for WA history (freshman year), and Civics (senior year) and he had US history that went up to the sinking of the Lusitania. I had all of that, but our US history went up until current, thru Reagan. I also had Western Civilizations and Global History. Global History was things like the Troubles in the UK, Israel / Palestine, the Fall of the Iron Curtain and other things of that nature.

mmascari

The user has over 40 posts in this thread -nearly all on this very topic of consequence or not... at what point do we just acknowledge it's not an access to information issue? :)
We are 17,000+ posts in. There are several topics that are well settled. At this point, anyone using false talking points or misrepresenting how the District works isn’t a mistake or lack of knowledge. It’s purposeful justification to satisfy a point of view.

I’ve taken to just putting them all on ignore. I suspect it will make other threads better too. Opposing views are fine, debate is fine, disagreement is fine. That’s how we advance knowledge and experience. Someone blowing smoke with the same false statements from 1,000 posts ago is not serious and will not expand the conversation.

Tha Realest

The board members had to be landowners to serve. Each board member once selected by Disney was deeded a 5 acre plot of land in the district by a subsidiary of TWDC. That subsidiary had the option to buy the land back at any time. The landowners of the district would then vote to elect the board members but the vote was per acre owned not per person so Disney controlled the election of the board anyway. So there was no issue with unqualified board members.
I know it’s impossible to set aside all that’s happened the last few years, but this arrangement of deeding land to public officials who serve at the pleasure of their corporate master is troubling, and speaks to the problem many of us have as to this arrangement.

mmascari

but this arrangement of deeding land to public officials who serve at the pleasure of their corporate master is troubling, and speaks to the problem many of us have as to this arrangement.
Why?

Exactly which public are these officials governing that have no say?

“to public officials who serve at the pleasure of their constituents” would be just as accurate.

Heppenheimer

Why?

“to public officials who serve at the pleasure of their constituents” would be just as accurate.
It would be more worrisome in a situation where the corporation maintained control over a parcel of land that supported a robust population. Like if Disney had maintained a similar level of control over Celebration.

But that was never the case with Reedy Creek. It didn't allow Disney to act as feudal landlord over a large population of servile peasents, it simply allowed Disney to maintain municipal control over property with a negligible population that they own. Unless you think animatronics are real people...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I know it’s impossible to set aside all that’s happened the last few years, but this arrangement of deeding land to public officials who serve at the pleasure of their corporate master is troubling, and speaks to the problem many of us have as to this arrangement.

How many residents live within the District? 10, 15, 20?

Disney isn't the feudal master over a population of serfs numbering in the thousands.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was designed that way from day 1. It was designed by the state to be that way intentionally. If you want to know why read the write-up in the below which has been posted here multiple times. Take the time to read if you are really interested. I suspect it is only troubling to you because people are telling you it’s troubling to justify their actions. If we are being honest it was not “troubling” to anyone until Disney spoke out against a bill. That’s what should be troubling to everyone.

Yeah but those boring things like taxes and property lines and statutes and stuff are probably more relevant than what you personally remember happening. This is the article. It’s informative and well-written.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think I read somewhere that each city has a population of about 30, all of whom have very close associations with Disney.

Disney gets to decide who lives there.
It was posted a few pages back that those citizens are all renters and Disney owns the properties. They are employees and families. The only individuals who own land in the district are the RCID board members who each own a 5 acre plot that is deeded to them by a subsidiary of TWDC that holds an option to buy the land back.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why?

It would be more worrisome in a situation where the corporation maintained control over a parcel of land that supported a robust population. Like if Disney had maintained a similar level of control over Celebration.

But that was never the case with Reedy Creek. It didn't allow Disney to act as feudal landlord over a large population of servile peasents, it simply allowed Disney to maintain municipal control over property with a negligible population that they own. Unless you think animatronics are real people...
How many residents live within the District? 10, 15, 20?

Disney isn't the feudal master over a population of serfs numbering in the thousands.
Exactly all of this. Over the years as Disney sold pieces of their land to be used for residential or other development they intentionally amended the district to exclude that land to ensure they were not “feudal masters” over anyone. It’s a lazy political talking point to call out Disney for “controlling a government”. They control a special tax district (1 of 1,800+ in the state) in which they are virtually the only landowner. It’s not even remotely close to controlling a local general government.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Exactly all of this. Over the years as Disney sold pieces of their land to be used for residential or other development they intentionally amended the district to exclude that land to ensure they were not “feudal masters” over anyone. It’s a lazy political talking point to call out Disney for “controlling a government”. They control a special tax district (1 of 1,800+ in the state) in which they are virtually the only landowner. It’s not even remotely close to controlling a local general government.

There are other landowners within the District, but they are non-Disney hotels and Target, if I correctly remember the list that was posted.

mmascari

It’s a lazy political talking point to call out Disney for “controlling a government”. They control a special tax district (1 of 1,800+ in the state) in which they are virtually the only landowner. It’s not even remotely close to controlling a local general government.
Just as important, the few that make it virtually instead of only all bought in after the district existed and understood what they were getting into. Nobody governed by the district was unaware of the structure when buying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are other landowners within the District, but they are non-Disney hotels and Target, if I correctly remember the list that was posted.
I believe there are about 25 landowners including Disney and their subsidiaries. These are all businesses directly tied to WDW. There are no residential landowners except for the board members who own the land but don’t live there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If only Disney were so altruistic.

Disney annexed the land so they could maintain full control over RCID without having to deal with pesky homeowners who might want a say in how the district was being run.

Anyone who has served on a local board knows what meetings can devolve into when just a handful of residents band together.

Annexing the land allowed RCID to remain focused on the needs of operating theme parks and hotels, rather than the differing needs of individual residents.

RCID, after all, is about serving the needs of WDW, not the typical community stuff most local governments deal with.
100% true. It has nothing to do with being altruistic. Disney sold the land as a business decision and Disney has no desire to be feudal masters over anyone so the land was annexed to avoid having residential landowners in the district. They just want to run their parks. RCID has never been and never will be a general purpose government. It has a scope that is broader than many special districts but it’s still very narrowly defined for a specific purpose.

GimpYancIent

Disney annexed the land so they could maintain full control over RCID without having to deal with pesky homeowners who might want a say in how the district was being run.

Anyone who has served on a local board knows what meetings can devolve into when just a handful of residents band together.

Annexing the land allowed RCID to remain focused on the needs of operating theme parks and hotels, rather than the differing needs of individual residents.

RCID, after all, is about serving the needs of WDW, not the typical community stuff most local governments deal with.

I think I recall reading somewhere that, early on, Roy Disney or one of the other early CEOs realized that Walt’s original vision of EPCOT just wasn’t going to work for Walt Disney World.

Eisner definitely had this in mind when creating Celebration.
Originally EPCOT was supposed to be an actual community with actual "residents" living within Walt Disney World soooo I can see where the Disney powers that be would rather have an amusement park and not have to deal with pesky "residents".

seascape

I think I recall reading somewhere that, early on, Roy Disney or one of the other early CEOs realized that Walt’s original vision of EPCOT just wasn’t going to work for Walt Disney World.
I wonder who will show up to tomorrow's meeting. I will stay through the public comments but want to enjoy AK so I won't waste my time listening to the board and their anti Disney statements. In addition, I believe they are not doing their fiduciary responsibility in doing what is best for the District and as a Taxpayer I hope a lawyer will start a class action case against the Board because they are taking actions that directly harm our investment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom