News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

To me, any chance the state has of winning goes out the window with this fact that they specifically prohibit people with relevant experience from serving on the board. That clause doesn't benefit anyone other than DeSantis’s own need for revenge since it guarantees that even future governors can't appoint who they want if that potential appointee is too close to the theme park industry.

UNCgolf

My daughter barely got to WWII in high school history. Kinda glossed over the Constitution.

Florida here.

Most high school history classes aren't exactly great history anyways. They don't usually outright lie (although it has happened occasionally) but they leave out a lot, some of which is incredibly important. As just one example, it's why a ton of Americans think the colonists won the American Revolution all by themselves -- maybe with a small bit of assistance by the French -- as opposed to the major French investment (in both manpower and capital), and eventual aid by Spain and the Dutch as well.

EDIT: Even just saying "the colonists" is a little misleading, since it makes it sound like they were all united in fighting for independence. Instead something like 20% of colonists were outright loyalists, and a significant number (likely the majority) of colonists had no participation in the war at all, actively or passively.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Most high school history classes aren't exactly great history anyways. They don't usually outright lie (although it has happened occasionally) but they leave out a lot, some of which is incredibly important. As just one example it's why a ton of Americans have no idea that the colonists didn't win the American Revolution by themselves. They'd have never won without the French.
Really? That was a significant point when i was taught.

Chi84

Premium Member
Most high school history classes aren't exactly great history anyways. They don't usually outright lie (although it has happened occasionally) but they leave out a lot, some of which is incredibly important. As just one example it's why a ton of Americans have no idea that the colonists didn't win the American Revolution by themselves. They'd have never won without the French.
Didn't they see Hamilton?

UNCgolf

Really? That was a significant point when i was taught.

It can vary wildly by where you are in the country, although in general the content of textbooks nationwide is heavily influenced by the Texas Board of Education.

That was just an easy, major example though. There are a bunch of smaller omissions etc. that aren't exactly wrong, they just don't provide the full picture and can end up wildly misleading, whether intentionally or accidentally.

Fido Chuckwagon

This is good info. If I’m not mistaken in that case the preliminary injunction paused the law from going into effect while the final decision was made. I wonder if this will work the same.

So far the board hasn’t actually taken action to cause immediate damage, but I wonder if these upcoming meetings will result in an action deemed to be an immediate and irreparable damage. They could be shooting themselves in the foot and giving Disney more ammo.
The fire code thing could be them going nuclear. Imagine a situation where they decide to impose stricter occupancy limits in parks, rides, attractions, and modes of transportation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My daughter is in elementary school and already had some age-appropriate curriculum addressing the constitution. Our state standards continue to cover it in later years as well.

If you have questions about your state’s standards, they’re typically available on the DOE website.

PA covers the constitution for sure. From the Department of Education site:

Pennsylvania Academic Standards describe what students should know and be able to do at specific points in time. The standards increase in complexity and sophistication as students progress through school. The academic standards serve as a framework from which districts develop their specific curriculum.
The Pennsylvania Academic Standards are part of the Standards Aligned System (SAS)Opens In A New Window. SAS is the Pennsylvania Department of Education's digital curriculum and instruction resource site. SAS is comprised of six distinct elements which provide a common framework for continuous student, teacher, and school and district growth. The elements are Standards, Assessment, Curriculum Framework, Instruction, Materials and Resources, and Safe and Supportive Schools.

Available on SAS are resources for teaching and developing high quality social studies programs. The Pennsylvania Academic Standards, which can be found on SAS, that relate to social studies are:

Civics and GovernmentOpens In A New Window is the teaching and presentation of the principles and ideals of the American republican representative form of government as portrayed and experienced by the acts and policies of the framers of the Declaration of Independence, Constitution of the United States and Bill of Rights.

Patcheslee

My daughter is in elementary school and already had some age-appropriate curriculum addressing the constitution. Our state standards continue to cover it in later years as well.

If you have questions about your state’s standards, they’re typically available on the DOE website.
I honestly don't know what is taught in history this year (8th) because they aren't even given a text book, physical or digital. It's just pages sent home, some just assignments they're told to "Google the answer" to. I know they worked on 3 forms of government, memorizing all countries with their capitals. Amendments were only touched on previous few years in a general matter, not much analysis. Come high school they're required 2 U.S. History, 1 US Government, 1 Social Studies, & Economic class.

Angel Ariel

I honestly don't know what is taught in history this year (8th) because they aren't even given a text book, physical or digital. It's just pages sent home, some just assignments they're told to "Google the answer" to. I know they worked on 3 forms of government, memorizing all countries with their capitals. Amendments were only touched on previous few years in a general matter, not much analysis. Come high school they're required 2 U.S. History, 1 US Government, 1 Social Studies, & Economic class.
our district doesn't use textbooks either. But the state standards of learning - what topics each grade level is expected to cover - is available on our state dept of education website. Your district may also have curriculum or pacing guides available on their website. (And if they don’t, you can FOIA them).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The fire code thing could be them going nuclear. Imagine a situation where they decide to impose stricter occupancy limits in parks, rides, attractions, and modes of transportation.
For sure. I think we can all think up a lot of things they could do that would warrant an emergency injunction. It almost seems like the board isn’t even considering the situation. If I worked for the state and I was advising them I’d be telling them to lay low for now and don’t do anything that can be used against us in a court case…..instead they plow on with the same obvious and indefensible agenda while they need to go to court and attempt to portray that they have a legitimate purpose for doing this stuff. They either don’t care or they really are this dumb. Its a coin toss for me which one 🙈

lazyboy97o

They’re reiterating the adoption of the Florida Fire Prevention Code which has its own established definitions. The issue isn’t so much that they’ll just start applying their own standards, but more ratchet up enforcement. In big places with a lot of different people doing things it isn’t hard to find violations of the fire and life safety codes. The question becomes the reasonable was of how things are enforced.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
PA covers the constitution for sure. From the Department of Education site:

Pennsylvania Academic Standards describe what students should know and be able to do at specific points in time. The standards increase in complexity and sophistication as students progress through school. The academic standards serve as a framework from which districts develop their specific curriculum.
The Pennsylvania Academic Standards are part of the Standards Aligned System (SAS)Opens In A New Window. SAS is the Pennsylvania Department of Education's digital curriculum and instruction resource site. SAS is comprised of six distinct elements which provide a common framework for continuous student, teacher, and school and district growth. The elements are Standards, Assessment, Curriculum Framework, Instruction, Materials and Resources, and Safe and Supportive Schools.

Available on SAS are resources for teaching and developing high quality social studies programs. The Pennsylvania Academic Standards, which can be found on SAS, that relate to social studies are:

Civics and GovernmentOpens In A New Window is the teaching and presentation of the principles and ideals of the American republican representative form of government as portrayed and experienced by the acts and policies of the framers of the Declaration of Independence, Constitution of the United States and Bill of Rights.
This year was all Texas History for my oldest. Next school year is US History. I see a mention of the Constitution in the curriculum then 😂

Chi84

Premium Member
For sure. I think we can all think up a lot of things they could do that would warrant an emergency injunction. It almost seems like the board isn’t even considering the situation. If I worked for the state and I was advising them I’d be telling them to lay low for now and don’t do anything that can be used against us in a court case…..instead they plow on with the same obvious and indefensible agenda while they need to go to court and attempt to portray that they have a legitimate purpose for doing this stuff. They either don’t care or they really are this dumb. Its a coin toss for me which one 🙈
Maybe someone can ask the half-a-lawyer at the next meeting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some commentary on how long this could last:

Stanton predicts a temporary stalemate while “it plays some tennis ball through the courts for the next year, year and a half.” Ultimately, the two sides are likely to settle. But if DeSantis runs for president, that may not happen for a while.

“If DeSantis wants this to exist until the primaries, he’s kind of in the driver’s seat on the state of Florida’s side on how long this goes,” Stanton said.

That said, in the long run, it’s hard to bet against Mickey.
“Disney has more to lose,” Stanton said, “than Florida has to gain.”

So this guy thinks DeSantis will try to play this out at least through the primaries since it’s the fight and not necessarily the outcome he wants and needs. I believe that is very possible. I also think the last line is 100% accurate.

Lilofan

I had a government class in 9th grade that was exclusively about civics. We covered it in American History 11th grade as well. Not to mention I’m an Eagle Scout and thus earned my Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge. The lack of knowledge in this tread saddens me greatly.
I can barely remember what I did in my 20s and 30s much less what I actually studied what subjects in high school.

lazyboy97o

Enforcing the state’s fire and life safety codes is very defensible. That’s what makes it such a good vector for possible interference.

Patcheslee

our district doesn't use textbooks either. But the state standards of learning - what topics each grade level is expected to cover - is available on our state dept of education website. Your district may also have curriculum or pacing guides available on their website. (And if they don’t, you can FOIA them).
I'm aware, unfortunately Indiana isn't as straightforward with some of their standards when it comes to written standards vs layman terms at times.

Chi84

Premium Member
Some commentary on how long this could last:

Stanton predicts a temporary stalemate while “it plays some tennis ball through the courts for the next year, year and a half.” Ultimately, the two sides are likely to settle. But if DeSantis runs for president, that may not happen for a while.

“If DeSantis wants this to exist until the primaries, he’s kind of in the driver’s seat on the state of Florida’s side on how long this goes,” Stanton said.

That said, in the long run, it’s hard to bet against Mickey.
“Disney has more to lose,” Stanton said, “than Florida has to gain.”

So this guy thinks DeSantis will try to play this out at least through the primaries since it’s the fight and not necessarily the outcome he wants and needs. I believe that is very possible. I also think the last line is 100% accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom