News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Disney Analyst

I believe 2S has particular currency in Canada (where @Disney Analyst is from) because of its use among First Nations communities.

That people have to look it up is no bad thing. On the contrary, it’s an opportunity to learn something new.

And again, if you don't want to know more... don't learn more about it. No big - move on with your life, let us use the terms we choose to use, and let us live happy fruitful lives.

But if terminology is the reason someone is "turned off" by a community, one which has faced discrimination, bigotry, and systemic government restrictions from past to present, that speaks very loudly about the kind of person they are.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

So the board still hasn’t been confirmed yet right? If they don’t get confirmed by Monday then their term ends in 45 days. Also of note, the legislature still hasn’t passed a bill for DeSantis to stay Gov if he becomes a presidential candidate. If these facts remain then it’s highly likely DeSantis will not be Gov in 45 days and the current Lt Gov will be appointing the new board…
The legislature did clear a path for DeSantis to run today.

lentesta

Premium Member
You know - and this is all hypothetical, because what do I know? - if you told me that Walker was actually the third judge to be offered this case after two others passed on it as a no-win career-killer, I would totally believe that.

Like "If I rule according to the facts, I'll never move up in a Republican administration. And if I rule for the state, I'll get smacked down on appeal and spend the rest of my career eating lunch at the Pompano Applebees with Aileen Canon."

Hypothetically.

After the NYSE closed today, the court released a series of documents. One of them seems to indicate the case was first assigned to Martin A Fitzpatrick, a Rick Scott appointee, who recused himself yesterday based on a third-degree relationship with someone who has a financial interest in the outcome:

Screenshot from 2023-04-28 17-12-05.png

I'm not going to question Judge Fitzpatrick's motives here. I merely incorporate my previous remarks by reference.

Patcheslee

They did meet. The bill was put on "Special Order", meaning it's heard for 2nd reading then rolls over to third reading. They didn't get to all bills on the calendar (it was toward the bottom). They pick up the Special Order calendar again next week.

From here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Home/4-28-2023?Tab=SenateFloor

The Senate will convene on Monday, May 1, 2023 at 10:00 a.m., or upon the call of the President.

S 1250 General Bill by DiCeglie
Department of Transportation
4/28/2023
  • S: Retained on Special Order Calendar
Okay. I caught the last 10 minutes of the regular session, then the special order was apparently canceled.
Order not session

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Senate Special session did not meet today I guess. SB1250 will not be addressed until Monday.

The Legislature is in regular session. There is no need for a "special session". Are you sure you're not talking about the Senate Transportation Committee?

Special order calendar just means that bills on their 2nd reading will be done on a specific day. Not uncommon when the regular session ends in a week. And the Legislature sometimes adjourns early in Friday.

We still don't have a budget bill. Given the 72 hour cooling off period, needs to happen by Tuesday.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They did meet. The bill was put on "Special Order", meaning it's heard for 2nd reading then rolls over to third reading. They didn't get to all bills on the calendar (it was toward the bottom). They pick up the Special Order calendar again next week.

From here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Home/4-28-2023?Tab=SenateFloor

The Senate will convene on Monday, May 1, 2023 at 10:00 a.m., or upon the call of the President.

S 1250 General Bill by DiCeglie
Department of Transportation
4/28/2023
  • S: Retained on Special Order Calendar

John, any word on a budget bill? I'm not in Tally and the Democrat isn't reporting anything. They've got until late Tuesday to pass one.

LAKid53

Premium Member
After the NYSE closed today, the court released a series of documents. One of them seems to indicate the case was first assigned to Martin A Fitzpatrick, a Rick Scott appointee, who recused himself yesterday based on a third-degree relationship with someone who has a financial interest in the outcome:

View attachment 713275

I'm not going to question Judge Fitzpatrick's motives here. I merely incorporate my previous remarks by reference.

Don't you mean nominee? US Senators don't appoint judges to the federal bench.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So the board still hasn’t been confirmed yet right? If they don’t get confirmed by Monday then their term ends in 45 days. Also of note, the legislature still hasn’t passed a bill for DeSantis to stay Gov if he becomes a presidential candidate. If these facts remain then it’s highly likely DeSantis will not be Gov in 45 days and the current Lt Gov will be appointing the new board…

The House approved SB 7050 and it's on the way to the governor to be signed.

If the Legislature didn't amend 99.012, F.S., to remove the prohibition on POTUS and VPOTUS, that still isn't how the law works. The governor would have to submit his resignation at least 10 days prior to qualifying for office. Qualifying for federal office opens April 22, 2024. According to the statute,

"(d) The resignation must be effective no later than the earlier of the following dates:
1. The date the officer would take office, if elected; or
2. The date the officer’s successor is required to take office."

JohnD

Okay. I caught the last 10 minutes of the regular session, then the special session was apparently canceled.
There is no special session. They are entirely in 2023 regular session until May 5. You're thinking "Special Order" which is a time on the floor that a bill is on 2nd reading and could be amended but no vote is taken as it still has to roll over to 3rd reading before a final vote.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There is no special session. They are entirely in 2023 regular session until May 5. You're thinking "Special Order" which is a time on the floor that a bill is on 2nd reading and could be amended but no vote is taken as it still has to roll over to 3rd reading before a final vote.

And goes on the Special Calendar for a specific day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Are you kidding me…?
That whole deal gave Disney monetary breaks, and you know it. The RCID wasn’t initiated by Disney to pee their money away.
Unless their lawyers were way less competent than they are now…?! 🤔

You think TWDC is the only company given tax incentives to attract them to Florida? Suggest you check out what Amazon gets when it opens a new distribution center in the state. Check out what Leon County threw their way for the new one off I-10. Especially what Devoe Moore got.

RCID was enacted to give TWDC more control over development of its property. So another "seedy hotels along Harbour Freeway" situation wouldn't occur. Walt was very clear about avoiding what happened in Anaheim.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Are you kidding me…?
That whole deal gave Disney monetary breaks, and you know it. The RCID wasn’t initiated by Disney to pee their money away.
Unless their lawyers were way less competent than they are now…?! 🤔

Here you go, you're free to read the Reedy Creek Charter, or visit the Orange County Property Appraisers website, where if you search for properties starting with "WDW", you'll see the taxes they paid to the county.

Also, back in the 1960s, there wasn't a single entity in Florida - including the state itself - that had the engineering and logistical capabilities to do what Disney did with the swampland they bought, without bankrupting itself. The choices were let Disney do it or bankrupt Florida. So why burden the taxpayers of the county with this?

Finally, how is paying taxes in both Orange and Osceola Counties, PLUS paying taxes to Reedy Creek, then paying for your own fire department, EMS, and for the OC Deputies and State Troopers that patrol your property "corporate welfare"?

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
So, you’re telling me the RCID wasn’t a monetary advantage for Disney…Disney took a monetary hit in Florida on that deal…?!
No. RCID was a logistical advantage for Disney, but not monetary. If the district is dissolved, their tax bill actually goes down, since now Orange and Osceola counties are responsible for the RCID debt.

Tha Realest

So what is Disney’s benefit here with RCID?

It’s been said by some on here they don’t get a financial break, and may even pay more in taxes.

Many of those same people have also said they don’t get an unusual break in terms of various approvals.

Yet their actions - the development agreement, restrictive covenant, lawsuit - suggests they really wanted to keep the status quo above and beyond the principle of defending themselves.

So what benefits did Disney enjoy through this arrangement?

LAKid53

Premium Member
No. RCID was a logistical advantage for Disney, but not monetary. If the district is dissolved, their tax bill actually goes down, since now Orange and Osceola counties are responsible for the RCID debt.

Along with we taxpayers in the county now forced to pay for the services Disney pays the District. Like roads, waste, water, fire, emergency services, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom