News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Mr. Stay Puft

Meanwhile, DeSantis is still out there, over a year later, implying that all of this is because of Disney's stance against the parental rights in education law. I used to think he had some restraint, unlike 'Big Orange,' but I really don't think he does anymore.

There is no freedom of speech in Florida. Not for individuals, not even for corporations.

These are dark times in my native state that I have multigenerational roots in. DeSantis is turning Florida into his own personal fiefdom. As if we're now a country separate from the US.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There is no freedom of speech in Florida. Not for individuals, not even for corporations.
Public school teachers, while working in their capacity as public school teachers, have very limited free speech protections. This is well-established.

University professors have robust free speech protections. Public school teachers in their free time have robust free speech protection. But not while they're "on the clock."

Virtual Toad

Public school teachers, while working in their capacity as public school teachers, have very limited free speech protections. This is well-established.

University professors have robust free speech protections. Public school teachers in their free time have robust free speech protection. But not while they're "on the clock."
If you've been paying attention you would know that the FL legislature is working on draconian steps to severely curtail the free speech of our state's university professors. The chilling effects here are thorough and widespread by design-- from the same playbook-- and go much farther than the current battle with Disney.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you've been paying attention you would know that the FL legislature is working on draconian steps to severely curtail the free speech of our state's university professors.
I'm aware, and those restrictions would be unconstitutional and wouldn't stand. It's still disturbing that they're trying, but it won't hold up. SCOTUS will strike that down (if it goes that far, which it won't) 9-0.

Mr. Stay Puft

University professors won't either, with what DeSantis plans to do with higher education.

tissandtully

I'm aware, and those restrictions would be unconstitutional and wouldn't stand. It's still disturbing that they're trying, but it won't hold up. SCOTUS will strike that down (if it goes that far, which it won't) 9-0.
I think the scary part is that they are trying to do these things. The law figuring out what's right isn't always inevitable. You can see why people are worried, right?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You can see why people are worried, right?
No. The rule of law is robust. Our former president attempted a coup to steal the 2020 election. He filed over 50 lawsuits attempting to overturn legitimate election results and he lost every single one of those cases, many of which were decided by judges and justices that he had appointed.

I see why people don't like these things, and there are many of them that I don't like either. But I don't think "worry" is justified.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom