News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Kamikaze

Was it renewed after the initial period?
I don't think it has to be. It just sets up that it can't be taken away for a minimum of 30 years. I'd have to see the rest of the document to see what else it says.

There's also the little fact that they ended RCID and changed to CFTOD so that document doesn't matter.

flynnibus

Premium Member
so clearly the lawyers are telling them they have a case to negate the agreements.

So this will obviously going to be the first battle

Best question at the end should be… ‘would you personally argue this case in court for us?’

CentralFLlife

And that's what I've been getting at when I've described this as "bad policy, but good politics."

Primary voters see "Ron is going after Disney, and we don't like Disney." Disney fanatics see "what the heck is going on, this is insane." Regular people don't even notice any of it.
Even if regular people care, they probably aren’t going to watch a district board meeting that’s held at 10am on a work day.

Probably wouldn’t watch a board meeting held at any time. Watching the meeting doesn’t equal caring.

lazyboy97o

Yep, my in-laws as well after they built their new home was assessed WAY high and got a nice chuck off. Disney is just doing what is available to them, the only difference is they have the money and lawyers on staff to do it year after year.
In many cases you have to do it year after year. If your 2022 assessment was high and the matter isn’t settled when the 2023 assessment is made then you have to now challenge the 2023 assessment because it’s based on the one which with you disagree.

Riviera Rita

It's been quite fun to go look back at photos of pre Disney Orlando. Yes, it was always destined for mass tourism even if Disney hadn't chosen it for their newest theme park.

Kamikaze

Oooooh this email is damning.
No, it isn't.

It said 'I am comfortable with my name on it' but the 'optics' would be better if it was someone else.

IOW, Disney was fine with everyone knowing McGowan wrote it if it came to that.

You have to remember that these lawyers are going to keep their money train going right now. These are small firms that probably have few long term clients like CFTOD would be.

afterabme

I wonder what would happen to the counties budgets should they have to cover everything RC covers. I still don't see how they're getting out of paying taxes
There are multiple situations but let's assume for a second that somehow all bonds are paid off. If Orange and Osceola Counties had to cover everything that Reedy Creek does, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Rather, they would have a similar situation to Universal. SeaWorld, and I-Drive. This means more special districts being created to help fund roads (like the CRA Universal is in) and permitting going through the county rather than the CFTOD/RCID. Fire and EMS are transferred to the respective counties.

Figgy1

There are multiple situations but let's assume for a second that somehow all bonds are paid off. If Orange and Osceola Counties had to cover everything that Reedy Creek does, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Rather, they would have a similar situation to Universal. SeaWorld, and I-Drive. This means more special districts being created to help fund roads (like the CRA Universal is in) and permitting going through the county rather than the CFTOD/RCID. Fire and EMS are transferred to the respective counties.
Let's say once the bonds are paid off the counties take over. What will happen to local property taxes. Maintenance will go up for the counties and in the case of UNI the new roads are costing the county money

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom