News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No, I'm not suggesting that at all.

I'm saying, as far as I know, Disney does not pay property taxes on property they don't own so roads owned and maintained by RCID, I do not believe Disney is paying property taxes for. Those giant parking garages next to Disney Springs? As far as I know, Disney isn't paying property taxes for them, either.

Westshore Mall in Tampa has a parking garage. I'm pretty sure they pay property taxes for it... because they own it.

I'm pretty sure Disney hadn't had RCIP, they'd own their Disney Springs parking garages and the land they sit on, too.

It shouldn't be too difficult to go to the Orange County Tax Collector's office website and see what parcels TWDC is being taxed on. It's public record.

MrPromey

LAKid53

Because you keep quoting without actually posting anything, I can't respond directly to you so...

Do you not see what I said? DISNEY would not have been able to issue government bonds.

We agree on this, right?

Disney can't issue government bonds but RCID could?

Right?

So if Disney owns the land and wants to build the garages, they can't issue bonds.

But if Disney owns the land and transfers ownership to RCID, RCID can issue bonds, right?

How did RCID get the land that it owns?

You seem too smart for me to have to spell out what I'm saying, in such simple terms.

Again, I'm not against any of this. I disagree with Captain's take but I'm not pretending I don't understand what he's saying, either.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So you're saying... the City of Orlando pays property taxes to Orange County for all public land owned by the City of Orlando?

Or are you saying there is some exclusive arrangement with RCID where they payed property taxes to counties for land they owned?

I just want to make sure I understand you, here.

Government owned land in Florida isn't subjected to property tax. So no.

GBAB1973

As I've said elsewhere, my primary objection is not to the existence of the district per se, it's to Disney's perpetual control of the district.

I understand that the district was a government body and that it was created through proper legislative means. I'm not questioning the legality. I'm questioning the morality of such a body being wholly controlled by a for-profit enterprise.

Somehow this was never a problem for 50+ years, the two counties had no issues with the set up, the state had no issues with the set up and Disney essentially ran the property well.

I think people stating things like you did above (the morality of a corporation owning a special district) is just backfill to try to justify what DeSantis is doing here. One thing you never see is proponents of this move point out significant, real issues with how the district was set up and had been operating. Roads were maintained, buildings were built to higher standard that outside the district, Disney reimbursed the localities for services they used (such as county sheriff services), etc.

I'd be more willing to buy what the state legislature and DeSantis have done here if people could point out real, significant issues caused by the RCID/Disney that had an effect on public welfare.

lazyboy97o

It would be interesting to see a map which detailed which roads in the resort area were owned by Disney and which were owned and maintained by Reedy Creek. My understanding is that a lot of the roads that people assume are owned by Disney aren't actually owned or maintained by Disney.
Really? So your understanding of how things work is based on what if not easily available information?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney has launched a website that essentially highlights the contributions the company makes to Central Florida and Florida as a whole. There’s also a section that talks about the Reedy Creek situation.

Reedy Creek situation:
Any idea when this site started? Had not seen it before.

Stripes

Premium Member
Any idea when this site started? Had not seen it before.
Not entirely sure. It appears to be fairly new or at least updated recently with more information.

The RCID portion mentions the new name for the district and the estimate of 13,000 new jobs over the next decade that Iger mentioned in the annual meeting.

The disneyconnect website itself has been around for quite some time.

LAKid53

Premium Member

LAKid53

Because you keep quoting without actually posting anything, I can't respond directly to you so...

Do you not see what I said? DISNEY would not have been able to issue government bonds.

We agree on this, right?

Disney can't issue government bonds but RCID could?

Right?

So if Disney owns the land and wants to build the garages, they can't issue bonds.

But if Disney owns the land and transfers ownership to RCID, RCID can issue bonds, right?

How did RCID get the land that it owns?

You seem too smart for me to have to spell out what I'm saying, in such simple terms.

Again, I'm not against any of this. I disagree with Captain's take but I'm not pretending I don't understand what he's saying, either.

You said "Disney would not have been able to issue municipal bonds". Even WITH the existence of RCID, TWDC couldn't issue municipal bonds.

Is RCID a government entity that owns land?

List of land owners from a May 2021 RCID Board meeting...

Screenshot_20230417-210808.png

None of the land owners that are governmental bodies would pay property taxes, including RCID.

The State of Florida doesn't pay property taxes to Leon County on all the land it owns in the county.

Tha Realest

You said "Disney would not have been able to issue municipal bonds". Even WITH the existence of RCID, TWDC couldn't issue municipal bonds.

View attachment 710953

None of the land owners that are governmental bodies would pay property taxes, including RCID.

The State of Florida doesn't pay property taxes to Leon County on all the land it owns in the county.
It should be pretty easy to establish whether or not they were mailed the development agreement that was voted on in January and February of this year.

MrPromey

Gated communities by their very nature have private roads. WDW isn't a gated community.

I never said it was but what you said was "That's akin to saying roads in neighborhoods aren't public."

I'd say my neighborhood has a lot more in common with what most people would call a neighborhood than WDW does but whatever. 🤷‍♂️

For someone jumping all over my words for some weird reason, you sure don't seem to be choosing your own very well.

View attachment 710953

Congratulations!

GOLD STAR!!!

HECK, THREE GOLD STARS!!!

⭐⭐⭐

So Disney as a private company cannot issue bonds - GREAT, WE AGREE!

RCID does not pay taxes for the property it owns - GREAT, WE AGREE!

RCID could (when it still existed) issue public bonds - I THINK we agree?

So if RCID did not exist and Disney wanted state-of-the-art Parking Garages for its Disney Springs or a special overpass right near the parking entrance to MK, do you think they would have:

A) handed over that land to the county and asked them to build them?

B) kept the property private and built them, themselves?

If B, we can agree Disney would not have been able to issue public bonds themselves since they are a private company, right? That means they would have had to pay directly up front or taken on their own debt to finance them, right? They also would be paying property taxes on them, right?

That's a unique benefit, for the area they have/had, in that they have their own government entity that essentially serves at their (Disney's) pleasure, wouldn't you say?

I can't imagine them going with option, A - can you? I don't even want to imagine it, personally given the way public works usually unfold.

Again, I was happy with the arrangement. I don't agree with Capt. I have no argument against how things worked moral or otherwise but I'm not pretending to be totally blind to his position.

I think it's okay to disagree with someone without having to pretend they're taking crazy pills.

Anyway, I'm out - if you want to find something new to disagree with that I've written, knock yourself out but for the record - I DID NOT WANT THE DISILLUSION OF THE RCID. I FELT IT WAS A BENEFIT TO DISNEY, THE STATE, THE GUESTS AND THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITY. I DO NOT AGREE WITH OUR GOVERNOR'S ACTIONS IN ANY WAY REGARDING THIS...

Want to make that clear so nobody says "are you suggesting" or otherwise tries to put words in my mouth. The bold part above is my position - nothing else suggested or implied.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I wonder if any states are talking to Disney behind the scenes about granting incentives to open a new park in their states? A third US park is highly unlikely but if a state could convince them it would be very smart move from a tourism perspective.

After the garage debacle and the hotel debacle I thought Disney would be crazy to invest any more than necessary (to maintain current attendance) in Anaheim, now I think they’d be crazy to invest any more money than necessary in FL either.

The fact they’re working towards Disneyland forward proves Disney forgives and forgets political battles, so Orlando likely won’t suffer from this long term, but I’d be looking for a more friendly environment to invest in if I were Disney.

GBAB1973

View attachment 710953

The part about land owners that are governmental bodies like RCID wouldn't pay property taxes doesn't appear to be accurate.

For example, attached is a parcel owned by RCID, as you can see they definitely pay property taxes on the parcel.

EDIT: Looks like I am partially wrong. The Orange Parking Garage in Disney Springs, that parcel is owned by RCID and has a property tax exemption. My bad.

EDIT II: It appears that the district pays property taxes on properties that house municipal services like sewer and water that benefit the district. But the parking garages, for example, were granted property tax exemptions because they were seen as a benefit to the county at large providing parking to area residents who could visit/eat/shop at Disney Springs.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom