News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Rich Brownn

The state shouldn't stop because right now you have one company that operates under a special setup which gives it an advantage over the other companies. If I were Universal or Seaworld I would hate to see Florida back off and allow Disney to maintain their advantage. Would you like it if the state you lived in gave your neighbor a lower tax rate for life?
Did you miss where Disney actually pays more taxes? Not only that but if RCID didn't exist, Universal would be paying taxes for Disney's roads.

Stripes

Premium Member
But the sole landowner isn’t just “Disney.”

As someone posted earlier, here are the previously recognized land owners within RCID. Now are some auxiliaries of “Disney?” Perhaps. But many are not. Shouldn’t be difficult to find out, for example, if the FL DOT was mailed a notice of intent as required by law. View attachment 710976
Disney subsidiaries:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.
Flamingo Crossings, LLC
Golden Oak Development, LLC
The Celebration Company
Palm Hospitality
ARDC-Ocala

The others are not Disney.

lazyboy97o

I believe the relevant statute says that mailing the notice is required, but failure to mail the notice in and of itself is not grounds to invalidate any agreement related to the said notice IF the meeting was properly noticed as required.

The meeting was properly noticed in the Orlando Sentinel as required by law. This “didn’t mail” Hail Mary absolutely does not pass legal muster. Even if they found a sympathetic judge in Florida, this thing is going to end up in federal court and no federal judge is going to undo 230+ years of contract law precedence.
That caveat is not in statute 163.3225 itself.

“ (2)(a) Notice of intent to consider a development agreement shall be advertised approximately 7 days before each public hearing in a newspaper of general circulation and readership in the county where the local government is located. Notice of intent to consider a development agreement shall also be mailed to all affected property owners before the first public hearing. The day, time, and place at which the second public hearing will be held shall be announced at the first public hearing.”

Rich Brownn

They could have once they gained Disney as a taxpayer.

If developing the resort infrastructure cost $X and RCID paid for it by taxing Disney $X, then Orange County could have built the exact same infrastructure, also by taxing Disney $X.
Except those were built with taxes in addition to taxes the county collected. Without RCID Orange County would still get the same taxes they do now but they would also have to pick up the tab for all roads, utilities etc. that Dianey now pays for through RCID. In other words Orange would get less money to cover more stuff. And no, they simply couldn't have doubled their taxes. Orange couldn't even get a penny tax passed.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Did you miss where Disney actually pays more taxes? Not only that but if RCID didn't exist, Universal would be paying taxes for Disney's roads.

Uh, guess what, Universal resides in a special district created to "providing more housing and cultural arts opportunities, improving long-term transportation needs, and encouraging retail development..." The special section that Uni sits in focuses on transportation.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Except those were built with taxes in addition to taxes the county collected. Without RCID Orange County would still get the same taxes they do now but they would also have to pick up the tab for all roads, utilities etc. that Dianey now pays for through RCID. In other words Orange would get less money to cover more stuff. And no, they simply couldn't have doubled their taxes. Orange couldn't even get a penny tax passed.

Sales tax in the county is 6.5%. That 0.5% is the penny option which goes to the county.

GBAB1973

They could have once they gained Disney as a taxpayer.

If developing the resort infrastructure cost $X and RCID paid for it by taxing Disney $X, then Orange County could have built the exact same infrastructure, also by taxing Disney $X.

Not really.

Law sets limitations on property taxes. Orange and Osceola Counties couldn't just decide to charge Disney more property taxes at a rate higher than other property owners.

Disney pays more in taxes when you add the property taxes they pay to the county PLUS the taxes they pay to the RCID. So no, the counties could not have charged Disney their regular property taxes + whatever the RCID assessed in taxes.

GBAB1973

Plus Disney has fought and won property tax appeals with Orange County in the past. I saw some suggest that the county would just jack their assessments of the Disney properties to increase the taxes paid but that appears to be a non-starter.

The tax situation is one of the issues the state legislature and DeSantis have purposely been muddying up. There are many that think Disney paid no taxes to the counties upon the creation of the RCID. Hence the cries of "pay their fair share". They already do. Technically, they pay more.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not really.

Law dictates how much the counties can tax property holders.

Disney pays more in taxes when you add the property taxes they pay to the county PLUS the taxes they pay to the RCID. So no, the counties could not have charged Disney their regular property taxes + whatever the RCID assessed in taxes.

They can...with a special district. And here we are again.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Plus Disney has fought and won property tax appeals with Orange County in the past. I saw some suggest that the county would just jack their assessments of the Disney properties to increase the taxes paid but that appears to be a non-starter.

The tax situation is one of the issues the state legislature and DeSantis have purposely been muddying up. There are many that think Disney paid no taxes to the counties upon the creation of the RCID. Hence the cries of "pay their fair share". They already do. Technically, they pay more.

Based on assessed value. Which any property owner is entitled to do.

But yes, TWDC has been paying property taxes. And the "tax" assessed by RCID on the property it owns within the District.

Disney Analyst

Any idea when this site started? Had not seen it before.

Using the wayback machine, can see they added that Company Highlights section on April 5th.

Here is December 1st 2022:

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 7.43.26 PM.png

Here is April 5th, 2022:

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 7.43.09 PM.png

MrPromey

Did you read the article that's been cited several times about how and why the RCID was created? It's long, but it speaks expressly to the parties wanting exactly what you're talking about.
I don't know. I've been reading stuff about this since the late 80's when I first became aware of it - back when you had to go to a library to find out these things. I was a really dorky kid who wanted to be an Imagineer.*

Reams of stuff have been written recently so... maybe?

Anyway, I know why it was created - what it provided, how Disney kept it going with "residents", etc and recall negative local public sentiment when an issue related to a limit on the issuing of public bonds that came up back in the 90's where it was like a "lottery" of some sort** and RCID got the right to issue them, beating out another municipality that wanted to be able to issue bonds for construction of a public housing project and one paper referred to Disney as "The Grinch That Stole Low Cost Housing" so I know things haven't always been completely rosy but I think on the whole, it's been beneficial to just about everyone. - sorry that was before anything of substance was on the www so I can't cite the article or provide clearer details but I've never forgotten that newspaper quote.

I know there are a lot of sudden experts around here like there are with any new thing that comes up in the news about Disney and I don't claim to be such an expert, sudden or otherwise but RCID isn't anything new to me.

I'm not into looking up tax payments or property lines or statutes and such so I'll leave that to the people who do seem to enjoy it but my main point was, I can see how someone could look at their arrangement with RCID isn't "fair". I think fair is entirely subjective and despite me not being the biggest fan of the property in recent years, I've always looked positively at the RCID arrangement and was not happy to see it all get screwed up by a vindictive governor that they are, of course, going to outlast.

*who grew into a really dorky adult who comes here to pretend he is, sometimes. ;)

** This was like... 30 years ago. I'm going purely off memory to something I read in a waiting room at a Dr. Office with my mom so anyone who wants to tell me there is no such thing as a "lottery" for that sort of thing - fine, I'm probably describing that wrong but the gist was, RCID got to issue the bonds, for the benefit of Disney while another municipality who had what some might call, a more noble use to them, couldn't, as a result.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

What a statute!

163.3241 Modification or revocation of a development agreement to comply with subsequently enacted state and federal law.—If state or federal laws are enacted after the execution of a development agreement which are applicable to and preclude the parties’ compliance with the terms of a development agreement, such agreement shall be modified or revoked as is necessary to comply with the relevant state or federal laws.​

A development agreement is a contract. Per the Contract Clause, the state does not have the authority to modify or revoke a contract. From the U.S. Constitution:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.​

On the face of it, Florida statute 163.3241 would seem to be unconstitutional.
My assumption is that the statute is intended to apply to rare situations where the terms of the contract involve a specific act that is later outlawed. For example, if FL had legalized recreational marijuana under a Dem-controlled legislature but the new legislature criminalized it. A special district may have signed a contract granting a business the right to build and operate a dispensary, but the new law would make that impossible to do legally so the contract would be voided. It seems that the only way the governor and legislature could even attempt to void the co tract u Der that statute would be to make all such agreements illegal - and even that would likely be overturned by the courts since there's no way to argue that the law wouldn't illegally interfere with valid contracts.

LAKid53

Premium Member
'm talking about the penny tax for mass transit. It was defeated.

The statutes allow local governments to charge up to an additional 1.5% on top of the 6% state sales taxes. The local government, with approval of voters in the county, decides how those extra tax revenues will be spent - transportation, roads, parks, storm water systems, schools.

It's unfortunate that residents in Orange County didn't approve the additional 1%. 45 of the 67 counties have approved the maximum additional 1.5%.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't know. I've been reading stuff about this since the late 80's when I first became aware of it - back when you had to go to a library to find out these things. I was a really dorky kid who wanted to be an Imagineer.*

Reams of stuff have been written recently so... maybe?

Anyway, I know why it was created - what it provided, how Disney kept it going with "residents", etc and recall negative local public sentiment when an issue related to a limit on the issuing of public bonds that came up back in the 90's where it was like a "lottery" and RCID got the right to issue them, beating out another municipality that wanted to be able to issue bonds for construction of a low-cost housing project and one paper referred to Disney as "The Grinch That Stole Public Housing" so I know things haven't always been completely rosy but I think on the whole, it's been beneficial to just about everyone. - sorry that was before anything of substance was on the www so I can't cite the article or provide clearer details but I've never forgotten that newspaper quote.

I know there are a lot of sudden experts around here like there are with any new thing that comes up in the news about Disney and I don't claim to be such an expert, sudden or otherwise but RCID isn't anything new to me.

I'm not into looking up tax payments or property lines or statutes and such so I'll leave that to the people who do seem to enjoy it but my main point was, I can see how someone could look at their arrangement with RCID isn't "fair". I think fair is entirely subjective and despite me not being the biggest fan of the property in recent years, I've always looked positively at the RCID arrangement and was not happy to see it all get screwed up by a vindictive goveneor that they are, of course, going to outlast.

*who grew into a really dorky adult who comes here to pretend he is, sometimes. ;)
Yeah but those boring things like taxes and property lines and statutes and stuff are probably more relevant than what you personally remember happening. This is the article. It’s informative and well-written.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom