News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

jimbojones

I thought others would also find this a helpful map as I did.

RCID controls a good chunk of land and it does seem to be enough to damage the "bubble " if that was the goal.

Seems to be a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face though if it were to happen. Honestly I cannot believe what is going on with this whole fight, it is really juvenile . I know many towns and cities have "spite houses" and "spite fences" built be feuding neighbors, but I never imagined a governor trying to make a "spite prison" or similar due to a personal gripe with a business

MrPromey

Are you suggesting Disney doesn't pay property taxes to the two counties?

Because if you are, that would be completely inaccurate.
No, I'm not suggesting that at all.

I'm saying, as far as I know, Disney does not pay property taxes on property they don't own so roads owned and maintained by RCID, I do not believe Disney is paying property taxes for. Those giant parking garages next to Disney Springs? As far as I know, Disney isn't paying property taxes for them, either.

Westshore Mall in Tampa has a parking garage. I'm pretty sure they pay property taxes for it... because they own it.

I'm pretty sure Disney hadn't had RCIP, they'd own their Disney Springs parking garages and the land they sit on, too.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Control. That was the benefit that Disney enjoyed. They liked having control over the operations within the district. They didn't have to deal with the localities to get a road built. They don't have to go to the counties to have a rollercoast built. They don't have to go through county hearings if they want to redo their sewer system, etc. The reality is that Disney/RCID ran that district better and more efficient than the two counties the property reside in could run it. Their building codes and zoning were often stricter than the local codes.

That's why Disney did what they did. They don't want to give up the control. They also don't want a board of political appointees who are buddies with DeSantis mucking up operations in order to gain control over Disney, the corporation. The board already signaled that they hoped their positions would allow them to leverage Disney in terms of Disney content, etc.

This is nothing but DeSantis playing the culture war gain in order to raise his national profile. He could have ignored Disney and Cherpak's statement a year ago and the bills still would have passed easily. But he saw an opportunity to try to elevate his national brand as a "woke warrior".

Just drive around some of the roads in Orlando....

The roads on property are well maintained, free of potholes, cleared of debris....

lazyboy97o

If the development agreement was passed in a way that did not comply with the public notice / hearings laws they won’t need any reason to void it. It’s could be viewed as void as a matter of law.
Right, it’d be void as a matter of law. There wouldn’t be a need for a new law to make them void.

Last edited:

thomas998

Except it absolutely is for public use. Disney is not the only entity that benefits from that infrastructure.
It would be interesting to see a map which detailed which roads in the resort area were owned by Disney and which were owned and maintained by Reedy Creek. My understanding is that a lot of the roads that people assume are owned by Disney aren't actually owned or maintained by Disney.

GBAB1973

No, I'm not suggesting that at all.

I'm saying, as far as I know, Disney does not pay property taxes on property they don't own so roads owned and maintained by RCID, I do not believe Disney is paying property taxes for. Those giant parking garages next to Disney Springs? As far as I know, Disney isn't paying property taxes for them, either.

Westshore Mall in Tampa has a parking garage. I'm pretty sure they pay property taxes for it... because they own it.

I'm pretty sure Disney hadn't had RCIP, they'd own their Disney Springs parking garages and the land they sit on, too.

Disney still ends up paying property taxes on those properties because the entities that own them essentially tax Disney for them. The RCID basically taxes Disney to cover their costs and in those costs are the property taxes that the RCID owes to the counties.

Stripes

Premium Member
Disney has launched a website that essentially highlights the contributions the company makes to Central Florida and Florida as a whole. There’s also a section that talks about the Reedy Creek situation.

Reedy Creek situation:

Disstevefan1

I am very curious to see a map of what is owned in whole by WDW and what is RCID, does such a map exist online? I want to know where this new non-disney theme park or prison could be built.....
Why do folks think RCID was separate from TWDC? They were ALL working for TWDC, they just had slightly different badges.

RCID = TWDC.

Everything RCID did was in the interest of TWDC.

Having said that, should have LEFT IT ALONE just like his predecessors did for over 50 years.

Ok I am ready to get flamed now.

MrPromey

Disney still ends up paying property taxes on those properties because the entities that own them essentially tax Disney for them. The RCID basically taxes Disney to cover their costs and in those costs are the property taxes that the RCID owes to the counties.

So you're saying... the City of Orlando pays property taxes to Orange County for all public land owned by the City of Orlando?

Or are you saying there is some exclusive arrangement with RCID where they payed property taxes to counties for land they owned?

I just want to make sure I understand you, here.

peter11435

It would be interesting to see a map which detailed which roads in the resort area were owned by Disney and which were owned and maintained by Reedy Creek. My understanding is that a lot of the roads that people assume are owned by Disney aren't actually owned or maintained by Disney.
It’s not hard to see such a map.

Most roads that aren’t behind an auto plaza or security gate are owned and maintained by the district.

jimbojones

Why do folks think RCID was separate from TWDC? They were ALL working for TWDC, they just had slightly different badges.

RCID = TWDC.

Everything RCID did was in the interest of TWDC.

Having said that, RonnyBaby should have LEFT IT ALONE just like his predecessors did for over 50 years.

Ok I am ready to get flamed now.
now that RCID != TWDC, it is relevant to understand the difference in terms of realestate regardless of whatever the previous situation was

LAKid53

Premium Member

LAKid53

Did you just black out while reading what I wrote or did you cut off the first half of that sentence along with the context on purpose?

Disney would have been paying property tax on the land those roads sit on as well as paying directly to maintain those roads, right along with the parking garages and they would not have been able to issue government bonds

LAKid53

Premium Member
It’s not hard to see such a map.

Most roads that aren’t behind an auto plaza or security gate are owned and maintained by the district.

My understanding that the only private roads on property are those that lead directly into a park.

GBAB1973

So you're saying... the City of Orlando pays property taxes to Orange County for all public land owned by the City of Orlando?

Or are you saying there is some exclusive arrangement with RCID where they payed property taxes to counties for land they owned?

I just want to make sure I understand you, here.

It's not an apples to apples comparison. RCID is a special district that gives it some rights that municipalities have but is not the same as government municipality. But if the special district owns property, they are responsible for the property taxes. Someone did this earlier, maybe on another board, but they pulled up the Disney Springs parking garage land and there was a property tax record for it. The RCID gets their funding directly from Disney via the assessments they produce on Disney. In those assessments would be any property taxes that the RCID owes.

It should also be pointed out that yes, there are government municipalities that pay property taxes on land the town owns. For example, in Napa Valley in California, some of the protected lands owned by the localities have property tax bills paid by the town (or government entity set up to control that land).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom