News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

afterabme

Based on the comments regarding roads and the like, what is stopping Orange or Osceola County from setting up a CRA for funding projects near/on WDW, similar to what is used for Universal's area? It's partially how the Kirkman Rd extension was funded.

Or is there, not a need to(because of the RCID) or are they not allowed to?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve already talked to a lawyer about this one. This statute is about development agreements not having license to violate general state or federal law. It does not give permission for the state to void specific contracts by fiat.
But it does feel like they could craft a specific law that creates conflict for the agreement and force it to be revisited.

They can't line item "this agreement is void" bill - but they could create conflicts which invoke that state clause I believe. Seems like a path.. even if not an easy one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Didn't you get the memo? FL voters wanted this by a landside vote... ;)
haha yes well I heard today many times this is all about the will of the people. But from where I am looking, and from someone who has no vote in the U.S.A. political system, this is all about the interests of one man seeking power. Nobody but him, and those who also get to profit from his power, want anything to do with this.

Overlordkitty

As a 40 year resident of California, and now an eight year resident of Florida, I can tell you that this is the major problem. California does not realize that there are states that have no interest in their agenda. Believe me, this Florida backlash is resonating back in California and I don’t think you’ll see California corporations making as many bonehead moves like Chapek did, anytime soon.
For me it's more of the juxtaposition of saying they're the state of the free, but going to micromanage anything they don't agree with.

Vegas Disney Fan

Ah yes, the power trip continues. As Steve mentioned earlier, this is extremely embarrassing to watch. He is embarrassing himself and the state of Florida on a national scale.
And the entire Rep party, I’m amazed they aren’t trying to shut this down.

There has to still be some sensible people on the right who can talk to him, isn’t there?

This isn’t what I stand for, or my parents, or my grandparents either, who does this new vindictive right appeal to because I can’t see any traditional Rep supporting this abuse of power?

afterabme

Universal & Seaworld don’t pay for the infrastructure projects that the counties provide for them. Disney pays RCID additional taxes for their infrastructure projects
They do pay for it ish. I-Drive has its own Special Improvement District and Universal is in the International Drive Community Redevelopment Area. It's not nearly as wide-ranging as the RCID in its abilities, but it can help pay for things in a specific confined area, like roads.
Orange County still collects the money but it stays only in that area, which helps out whoever ( cough Universal) is in that area.

In fact, Universal is trying to create a Special District to fund and maintain a Sunrail station near the Convention Center and Epic Universe.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is that what caused the doors to fling open while the monorail was in motion? Or the crumbling pylon in World Nature?

Or really the myriad of other problems facing the monorail system?

Put your political biases aside. The monorails need some work, and I would welcome state oversight, even under these circumstances.
this is a real nice effort on your part to undermine the whole history of Disney's safety performance... but to argue that this district would prevent power failures, or fix musty interiors, or broken plastic is a fantastic 4 level of stretching to fit your purpose.

Your local highway infrastrcture have chunks out of them all over - to the point of outcry - oversight doesn't mean 'show quality'

911deb

Wonder if the occupants of the new Reedy Creek State Prison will be given day passes to ride IASW with all the trafficked children while their parents are in first aid being treated for injuries sustained in an unsafe monorail ride from their hotels that Disney won't pay property taxes on....

Stripes

Premium Member
But it does feel like they could craft a specific law that creates conflict for the agreement and force it to be revisited.

They can't line item "this agreement is void" bill - but they could create conflicts which invoke that state clause I believe. Seems like a path.. even if not an easy one.
We’ll see. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to name drop Reedy Creek. They’ll try to concoct something else. I can‘t think of anything where Disney wouldn’t have a strong case though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
same way everyone who operates under an additional taxing authority does... by paying the additional taxes that apply to them, but not those outside the taxing authority.

Be it a city, overlay district, improvement district, etc. They all can be forced to pay additional taxes above and beyond others outside those boundaries.

You can try to split hairs on 'double' or not - but it's more a figure of speech anyway... plus you can point to specifics like paying for transportation, yet then paying for district transportation projects too.

Basically this is a pointless issue to highlight.

Brian

There has to still be some sensible people on the right who can talk to him, isn’t there?

This isn’t what I stand for, or my parents, or my grandparents either, who does this new vindictive right appeal to because I can’t see any traditional Rep supporting this abuse of power?
To their credit, it does seem that the GOP-controlled legislature had a hand in him giving up the toll roads idea.

Though, to your point, it 'aint your granddad's Republican party. Nor your other granddad's Democrat party.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

I think if any of the republicans speak out against him, there is a silent/unofficial rule of pollical suicide, which is unfortunate. Parties should always have disagreements within their own party not just the other side, but I fear that ship has sailed.

As others have said, this one will be dragged out in the courts with taxpayers money being completely wasted in the process and Ronnie will be gone before its settled. He is the Tasmanian devil of politicians.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom