News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
Florida is not a free-for-all with amusement rides.

But the FL theme parks DO have special considerations that other traveling amusements/etc do not get. Thanks to lobbying.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right, but was the state inspecting them before or did they do it themselves?
They are state regulations and inspections - performed by the on-site staff. Presumably seaworld has their own inspectors given the scale of their operation.

The requirements to be an inspector are quite low...

(q) “Qualified inspector” means an employee or agent of an insurance underwriter of an amusement ride who documents to the department in a manner established by rule of the department the following qualifications:
1. A minimum of 5 years experience in the amusement ride field, at least 2 years of which were involved in actual amusement ride inspection with a manufacturer, government agency, park, carnival, or insurance underwriter;
2. The completion of 32 hours per year of continuing education at a school approved by rule of the department, which includes inservice industry or manufacturer updates and seminars; and
3. At least 80 hours of formal education during the past 5 years from a school approved by rule of the department for amusement ride safety. Nondestructive-testing training, as determined by rule of the department, may be substituted for up to one-half of the 80 hours of education.

Vegas Disney Fan

... and if he is going to change how inspections done then he is meddling with something that is working fine. Disney has a very good safety record.

The ironic part is most of this would be considered reasonable if it was being done for valid reasons and the board was being set up with experts in the field rather than people hand picked for political retaliation.

Boeing used to certify their own planes and that worked pretty flawlessly for decades, until the 737 max, and then everyone was surprised there was no gov oversight, adding a layer of oversight can be a good thing, if it’s being done for a public benefit.

If Florida was adding ride inspections for additional safety it would be 100% reasonable, the same would have been true for changing RCID, had they done it for valid oversight reasons it would have been reasonable.

The fact it’s all being done for political reasons, rather than public benefit, makes it 100% wrong though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Florida already has oversight of amusement rides -- the difference is only in WHO does the work... not what they do, or what the minimums they must do.

The crux here is with the new district, just like Disney had the power to do more than the state required, the new district could require far more stringent things than the state (or Disney) does.

tissandtully

The ironic part is most of this would be considered reasonable if it was being done for valid reasons and the board was being set up with experts in the field rather than people hand picked for political retaliation.

Boeing used to certify their own planes and that worked pretty flawlessly for decades, until the 737 max, and then everyone was surprised there was no gov oversight, adding a layer of oversight can be a good thing, if it’s being done for a public benefit.

If Florida was adding ride inspections for additional safety it would be 100% reasonable, the same would have been true for changing RCID, had they done it for valid oversight reasons it would have been reasonable.

The fact it’s all being done for political reasons, rather than public benefit, makes it 100% wrong though.
By the same folks who couldn’t be bothered to attend a public meeting. I do not want these unserious people checking safety on complicated attractions.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I could see them making changes so that Dept. of Ag HAS to inspect the big parks but fails to give DoA authority to do anything with what they find. Ron would be able to send DoA in to scrutinize every little detail write up a whole report saying how they have all these problems, most of the "problems" being due to grandfathering of safety and building standards over the last 50 years. It would gives Ron the opportunity to grandstand and say why the state needs to take over. Short term win for him a black eye for Disney because EVERY news outlet is going to run the story that DISNEY WORLD IS UNSAFE. Long term it probably backfires as it adds ammo to Disney's legal case that they are having their rights violated and the government is retaliating against them, if this is in fact Disney's plan.

mmascari

By the same folks who couldn’t be bothered to attend a public meeting. I do not want these unserious people checking safety on complicated attractions.
It's not like Disney would stop self inspecting. The concern isn't that rides would be less safe with a different inspector, since Disney has plenty of aligned reasons to keep things safe. The concern is that the new process would be used to create random overhead and operational problems to incentivize behavior in other areas.

mmascari

Short term win for him a black eye for Disney because EVERY news outlet is going to run the story that DISNEY WORLD IS UNSAFE. Long term it probably backfires
For a second, pretend this happens, even if the "unsafe" things are not really unsafe. Unlike random political leanings that do not seem to impact how people spend money, hearing something is "unsafe" is much more likely to impact behaviors.

If 5% of Disney guests decide that Disney is "unsafe" based on this, what's the knock on impact to the rest of FL?

If they all change plans and go to Universal instead, that's a big win for Universal and probably very little impact to FL.
If they all change plans and go to some other destination not in FL, that a loss of all the tourist taxes, extra spending, support spending, general hit to the local economy.

The "long term" impact would depend on how fast any changes happen and how large that percentage is. If 5% of planned Disney visitors coming after July 1 all disappeared, that's going to hit the news right away. If it takes 12 or 18 months to get to 5% then less so, it'll be late enough that Ron doesn't have to care about the FL impact. If it's only 1% that change, then there isn't likely a measurable imapct.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not like Disney would stop self inspecting. The concern isn't that rides would be less safe with a different inspector, since Disney has plenty of aligned reasons to keep things safe. The concern is that the new process would be used to create random overhead and operational problems to incentivize behavior in other areas.
You are more optimistic than I am on this. The ride inspection process works well now. I feel safe. I don’t want to see an unqualified board take ownership of ride safety. I have been saying since day 1 that I wouldn’t stop visiting FL or WDW over this feud, but if they really take this action I’d have to think long and hard about returning to WDW. I am not planning a visit this year anyway so I have some time to consider but I can get my Disney fix out in CA if I need to.

lazyboy97o

Regulatory inspections are intermittent. They occur over different periods of time.

Ride systems though have a much more intense maintenance schedule. Different components are on different schedules per the manufacturer. Some of these items are required to be reviewed daily.

There is almost no scenario where regulatory inspections completely supersede park inspections. Even in California, day-to-day operations and safety is still the responsibility of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom