News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

In California does the state inspect the rides or do they delegate that authority to the theme parks?

I’m curious if this is something that a standard across-the-board or was Florida an exception to the rule?
In California, yes, the state inspects rides and increased oversight following the fatal malfunction of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in 2003. How states regulate amusement rides is not uniform and there are still some states that do not. Since it is a state issue the particulars of what and how vary.

Last edited:

tissandtully

Though if it is open to the public could Mickey just go on his own and sit in the audience?
Technically anyone could use Steamboat Willie since he is public domain now lol, like John Oliver's Steamboat Willie costume on his show is actually really good.
1681747346627.png

Vegas Disney Fan

But. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way for Disney to be under the same set of rules as everyone else would have been to get rid of Reedy Creek, so that everything went to the city/county, like Universal, SeaWorld and Busch. By keeping Reedy Creek, DeSantis kept Disney under its own set of rules - but thought he could add a council of his goons to tell Disney what to do.

It feels like this would be preferable to the current situation. I wonder if Disney could sue to dissolve the board since it puts them at a disadvantage to other businesses.

Still hard to believe this is really happening, 50 years of mutual benefit undone by a stupid feud.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
He's "cracking down" on Disney as if they're some sort of organized crime gang or a drug cartel. They're a private corporation that publicly disagreed with his law. Now they're being cracked down on by the state. Isn't that pretty terrifying to think about?
Indeed. Comparisons can also be drawn to a school bully not getting their own way on the playground.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
He's "cracking down" on Disney as if they're some sort of organized crime gang or a drug cartel. They're a private corporation that publicly disagreed with his law. Now they're being cracked down on by the state. Isn't that pretty terrifying to think about?

... and if he is going to change how inspections done then he is meddling with something that is working fine. Disney has a very good safety record.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
... and if he is going to change how inspections done then he is meddling with something that is working fine. Disney has a very good safety record.
Yes. It is very obviously to anyone who does not have an alternative agenda that Disney has a huge incentive to ensure its rides are safe, and the past 50 years has shown it to be an extremely safe place to be. The state is simply not qualified to do it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In California does the state inspect the rides or do they delegate that authority to the theme parks?

I’m curious if this is something that a standard across-the-board or was Florida an exception to the rule?
California puts amusement inspections under their state OSHA enforcement.

But California is the extreme... amusement inspection and regulation is pretty varied throughout the country. Florida had pretty generous self-reporting standards... and theme parks have kept FL gov away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom