News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Does that fact make anything this board is doing legal?

If I were Disney, I'd wait for the general session to end, and DeSantis to declare his campaign for President and start campaigning, then sue that all board actions to this point are illegal.
I have no idea. Just poking around on the Senate website there seem to be a number of executive appointments who started their term but have not been confirmed.

Jorge Riviera of the Barber’s Board

Gregory John Burke of the Architecture and Interior Design Board

Joseph Brandenburg of the Funeral Board

Sir_Cliff

If WDW decides to address a future health emergency with mitigation measures, the board is going to have to fire department close it down for life safety concerns?
Welcome to Florida, I guess.

I guess we're now seeing how Disney may have not been *that* clever not to fight the governor's takeover of the district. I would be curious to see the fallout for the Florida tourism industry from international headlines about Walt Disney World being closed down because the state government is ideologically opposed to taking health precautions during a pandemic

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Welcome to Florida, I guess.

I guess we're now seeing how Disney may have not been *that* clever not to fight the governor's takeover of the district. I would be curious to see the fallout for the Florida tourism industry from international headlines about Walt Disney World being closed down because the state government is ideologically opposed to taking health precautions during a pandemic or something even wilder like Disney not wanting to allow people to carry guns in the parks.
That’s assuming any of this is legal, enforceable and holds up in court. Cities and counties are general purpose governments (or whatever official term FL uses). Cities and counties perform services to protect the health, safety, and welfare of all their citizens. Special districts are limited purpose local governments. Special districts provide only the services specified when they are created. These clowns are acting as if RCID is a general purpose government that would control Covid restrictions or any of the other stuff suggested. Do they actually have that authority? They control the Fire Department but not health inspections and there is no police force. As others have stated this is mostly political theater.

tissandtully

That’s assuming any of this is legal, enforceable and holds up in court. Cities and counties are general purpose governments (or whatever official term FL uses). Cities and counties perform services to protect the health, safety, and welfare of all their citizens. Special districts are limited purpose local governments. Special districts provide only the services specified when they are created. These clowns are acting as if RCID is a general purpose government that would control Covid restrictions or any of the other stuff suggested. Do they actually have that authority? They control the Fire Department but not health inspections and there is no police force. As others have stated this is mostly political theater.
I do think RCID screwed up by not supporting the fire department more, I think they would have more goodwill from all those folks if they weren’t so stingy with resources

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some things that places did, such as propping open doors, partitions and hand sanitizer dispensers, are violations of the fire code.
Then they shouldn’t have been allowed. I was all for reasonable Covid restrictions but if they violate fire code they shouldn’t be done.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Interesting questions. Let's stay on topic. Is the RCID board allowed, or should be.allowed, to issue these type of regulations? Are the current board members competent and qualified to make science based regulations?

As a general rule businesses are allowed to exceed public health rules, rarely prohibited.
I read through the RCID charter when Covid hit, and it gave me the impression that Orange County was responsible for making health-related determinations. People often describe RCID as “a county within a county” meaning it has county-like powers. And it does (did). But it doesn’t have all the governmental powers. Some are reserved for the actual county (ie Orange County).

MandaM

Looks like we might see more retaliation from DeSantis Monday. From the Daily Beast:

Ron DeSantis is gearing up to announce his latest move in an escalating tit-for-tat with Disney, the New York Post reports. The Florida governor is apparently set to announce new “crackdown measures” against the company, the details of which he plans to announce Monday. A senior administration source told the newspaper: “What [Disney] tried to do is an embarrassment,” citing last month’s move by Disney lawyers to quietly strip DeSantis’ hand-picked advisory board of most of its powers in overseeing Disney’s self-governing Reedy Creek Improvement District. “The narrative the left is spinning is that Gov. DeSantis was outmaneuvered. But this is far from over, and he’s going to have the last laugh.” DeSantis, the source said, wants to void Disney’s move—putting DeSantis back in charge using his own newly installed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

Chi84

Premium Member
Looks like we might see more retaliation from DeSantis Monday. From the Daily Beast:

Ron DeSantis is gearing up to announce his latest move in an escalating tit-for-tat with Disney, the New York Post reports. The Florida governor is apparently set to announce new “crackdown measures” against the company, the details of which he plans to announce Monday. A senior administration source told the newspaper: “What [Disney] tried to do is an embarrassment,” citing last month’s move by Disney lawyers to quietly strip DeSantis’ hand-picked advisory board of most of its powers in overseeing Disney’s self-governing Reedy Creek Improvement District. “The narrative the left is spinning is that Gov. DeSantis was outmaneuvered. But this is far from over, and he’s going to have the last laugh.” DeSantis, the source said, wants to void Disney’s move—putting DeSantis back in charge using his own newly installed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.
The key word there is “wants.”

Stripes

Premium Member
One right wing media outlet, The Federalist, is reporting that the new board’s legal team is going to argue that the development agreement is void because RCID didn’t mail a notice to all affected property owners as required by law.

At this point, I do not know whether RCID mailed the notices or not. The outlet in question is quoting ”sources familiar with Disney’s proceedings.” The outlet has a questionable record of accuracy, to say the least. The New York Post, also right leaning, seems to be hinting the same thing.

I‘d be very surprised if RCID failed to comply with clearly stated law when it is abundantly clear given the notice published in the Orlando Sentinel that they definitely read this requirement.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
It appears the new board’s legal team is going to argue that the development agreement is void because RCID didn’t mail a notice to all affected property owners. They will most likely argue that although the development agreement pertains Disney‘s land, by giving the maximum densities and intensities of the district to Disney to allocate, the development agreement affects all property owners in the district not just Disney.

Do they have proof this didn’t happen? If it’s so clearly outlined as being a requirement would they’d risk everything by having not done that?

Follow up question since I can’t remember now, what would be the next step if the state voids the land use agreement?

Stripes

Premium Member
Do they have proof this didn’t happen? If it’s so clearly outlined as being a requirement would they’d risk everything by having not done that?
I’d be as disappointed as anyone if it didn’t happen. I also find it hard to believe Disney’s lawyers would’ve missed this.

It has been hinted at in the New York Post and specifically mentioned in The Federalist (both right-wing publications).

But senior DeSantis administration officials say the company intentionally limited legally-required public notices of the new agreement to shield it from scrutiny and ease its passage.
The idea that Disney advertised in the Orlando Sentinel but intentionally didn’t mail notices to affected property owners to “shield it from scrutiny and ease its passage“ sounds ridiculous. Either RCID mailed the notices or someone made a big mistake.

Disney’s first hearing on the issue was held Jan. 25, and the second on Feb. 8. The company advertised proceedings in the Orlando Sentinel. The last requirement of Florida law, however, that all affected property owners be given notice by mail, was skipped entirely, according to sources familiar with Disney’s proceedings. The missed mandate means the company would have to restart the process for its 11th-hour resolution to be valid.

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member
Follow up question since I can’t remember now, what would be the next step if the state voids the land use agreement?
Disney would likely sue the state and argue that the takeover of the Reedy Creek board was a violation of their rights as a landowner to cast votes for the board members. Since RCID has the power to impose al valorem taxes, they could argue that taking away their voting power without their permission violated their rights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom