News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member

lazyboy97o

tissandtully

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Why would this be the thing that gets Disney to take action? As of now the planning board is rather useless.

I'd have to go back and review the legislation that created the new district and the board. If the legislation set forth the terms of members and how they are placed on the board, which such legislation typically does, the board itself has no legal authority to change that. I'm beginning to wonder about the 3 attorneys who sit on the board...

Wonder if Disney lawyers are just bidding their time, waiting for all the nonsense pronouncements from the board and governor to cease and then using those public statements as justification for a filing.

Would love to attend the meeting on the 19th, but have other obligations. Be nice if one of the local channels broadcasted it. Would make a nice diversion from the circus in Tallahassee. 😉

tissandtully

That's hyperbole but it really feels that way. Every single stupid idea, like adding tolls or using health regulations to screw with operations, was mentioned about 200-400 pages ago.

It seemed stupid when you consider a baseline level of rationality or decorum in government, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.
Wouldn't be surprise behavior from a registered foreign agent that's on Twitter all day.

lazyboy97o

I'd have to go back and review the legislation that created the new district and the board. If the legislation set forth the terms of members and how they are placed on the board, which such legislation typically does, the board itself has no legal authority to change that. I'm beginning to wonder about the 3 attorneys who sit on the board...

Wonder if Disney lawyers are just bidding their time, waiting for all the nonsense pronouncements from the board and governor to cease and then using those public statements as justification for a filing.

Would love to attend the meeting on the 19th, but have other obligations. Be nice if one of the local channels broadcasted it. Would make a nice diversion from the circus in Tallahassee. 😉
The law gives the Board of Supervisors power to create a zoning commission and define terms of membership. It is not required nor any aspects prescribed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can any lawyers/legal experts explain this one?

It was discussed a few pages back. I think the general conclusion was this shouldn’t impact the existing contracts which are still valid but was a preemptive way to ensure Disney didn’t use the planning board or cities as a plan B should the state succeed in voiding the original contracts somehow.

lazyboy97o

I think Disney's play at this point should be to put in to build something small, have the board disapprove it, and then build it anyway - making the board sue them to stop it. Then all of the shenanigans from the board and their boss will come to light in court.
Planning approval is not required for all projects. That would first have to change and be honored by Disney.

The chances of getting architects, engineers and contractors (all of whom are regulated by the state) to proceed without permits is incredibly unlikely.

Stripes

Premium Member
It was discussed a few pages back. I think the general conclusion was this shouldn’t impact the existing contracts which are still valid but was a preemptive way to ensure Disney didn’t use the planning board or cities as a plan B should the state succeed in voiding the original contracts somehow.
It also strips the planning board of their responsibilities. Now the board itself will make the planning decisions. So they’ve undermined the power of the bureaucracy that just follows the rules and placed it in their (political) hands. This is step one for denying approval on a project that is allowed under the contracts thereby prompting a lawsuit from Disney.

But, I think they would’ve done this regardless of the contracts.

Kamikaze

I think Disney's play at this point should be to put in to build something small, have the board disapprove it, and then build it anyway - making the board sue them to stop it. Then all of the shenanigans from the board and their boss will come to light in court.
They want the state to sue them, not the other way around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom