News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
well interesting! "Facilities with Pools – The District is responsible for Department of Health swimming pool inspections and Operating Certificate renewals. The following information outlines pertinent information for owners about the Pool Inspection Program"

So the district was performing the role of the county health dept inspectors. Probably an area not covered by Disney's lock up deal so they are probably trying to strip those possibilities back?
And they were doing inspections 4 times a year instead of the state required 2. If RCID was performing the pool inspections wouldn’t the district continue that function under the new board? Why move it to the County Department of Health which is where it would go if the state takes control? If the supposed issue is Disney “self Governing“ and that’s been now solved with the new board then why the need to move who does the inspections? Seem like the Governor would have more control if he keeps the pool inspections with the district he now controls.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This appears to be clearing the decks for if/when they render the development agreement a failure.
Yep, seems that way. There was some discussion here about whether Disney could move some powers to the cities to avoid the Governor’s reach so if the state believes that’s a possible threat if the development deal was actually invalidated this is preemptively addressing that potential plan.

lazyboy97o

And they were doing inspections 4 times a year instead of the state required 2. If RCID was performing the pool inspections wouldn’t the district continue that function under the new board? Why move it to the County Department of Health which is where it would go if the state takes control? If the supposed issue is Disney “self Governing“ and that’s been now solved with the new board then why the need to move who does the inspections? Seem like the Governor would have more control if he keeps the pool inspections with the district he now controls.
The counties don’t have independent health departments.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The counties don’t have independent health departments.
Sorry, its the county office of the FLDOH. “Permitting and inspections are done by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health in each county”. I would still think the Governor has much more control over his hand picked board with political appointees than some career government workers.

JohnD

Allow me to make a slight diversion. So apparently this was the an answer on Jeopardy on tonight's episode.

3B617314-7305-4BE7-A16F-5E75F4D7686F.jpeg

JohnD

So we’re back to the whole “DeSantis was right to commandeer RCID because Walt’s Epcot was never built” thing? Forgive me if I misunderstood the intent of your post.
Because I'm sharing an answer from Jeopardy? Right. I conspired with the show to stick it to Disney. Yeah. That's it. Yeah. You misunderstood a flat out direct sharing of a Jeopardy answer.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry, its the county office of the FLDOH. “Permitting and inspections are done by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health in each county”. I would still think the Governor has much more control over his hand picked board with political appointees than some career government workers.

Who are subject to political pressure, both internal and external, trust me. The county health administrator is appointed by the secretary of the Department of Health...who is appointed by the governor.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Who are subject to political pressure, both internal and external, trust me. The county health administrator is appointed by the secretary of the Department of Health...who is appointed by the governor.
Sure they are subject to political pressure but that’s still different from being political appointees whose only purpose is to serve the Governor‘s will. In a purely hypothetical example let’s say the Governor has decided to punish Disney by shutting down the pool at the Grand Floridian on July 4th. Is it easier to make one call to your appointed lackey on the board or to call the secretary of the Department of Health who has to call the county health administer who then has to call an individual inspector? With the district board you already control them and who they hire. With the Department of Health approach he may indirectly control them too but if they are career government workers they may be more reluctant to falsify a report at the governor’s whim. Most of those people will still be working long after DeSantis is gone and mostly forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sure they are subject to political pressure but that’s still different from being political appointees whose only purpose is to serve the Governor‘s will. In a purely hypothetical example let’s say the Governor has decided to punish Disney by shutting down the pool at the Grand Floridian on July 4th. Is it easier to make one call to your appointed lackey on the board or to call the secretary of the Department of Health who has to call the county health administer who then has to call an individual inspector? With the district board you already control them and who they hire. With the Department of Health approach he may indirectly control them too but if they are career government workers they may be more reluctant to falsify a report at the governor’s whim. Most of those people will still be working long after DeSantis is gone and mostly forgotten.

Edit: I am hoping after reading this someone is working to photoshop a picture of DeSantis sitting on a lounge chair at the closed Grand Floridian pool…..just like Chis Christie sitting alone on a beach on 4th of July weekend after he closed the beach to the public.

Never worked in state government in Florida, eh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom