News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

afterabme

I'm kind of curious about how WDW is handling all contact with the new Board. Is the Disney Government Relations team the main point of contact or would both sides only be communicating through their respective counsels?

Kamikaze

I'm kind of curious about how WDW is handling all contact with the new Board. Is the Disney Government Relations team the main point of contact or would both sides only be communicating through their respective counsels?
I doubt they need to discuss anything with the new Board because no one on that board is interested in doing any actual business of the District.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure on contact with the board itself but I imagine there is quite a bit of interaction between RCID employees and/or contractors/vendors and Disney staff. I’m sure it’s business as usual with the fire department or utility services which is the majority of what the district actually handles.

Cliff

Look....Disney always,...ALWAYS wins. They WILL find a way to beat DeSantis, they WILL find a way to beat the Florida legislators, the WILL find a way to beat the Florida Supreme Court and yes, Disney WILL find a way to beat the federal Supreme Court if they need to.

I dont think that even God themself can stop these guys.....

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I mean....

1681309907307.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not an attorney, but DeSantis and his board really seem like they're grasping at straws now.
I think it’s less about a plan that actually results in anything and more about getting headlines.

Reuters headline 3/30/23:

Disney's Florida surprise: an end run around DeSantis​

Reuters headline 4/11/23:

New Florida board seeks power over Walt Disney World cities​

Since most people only read the headlines the Gov was getting killed with stuff like the 3/30 headline where the majority of headlines were negative for him and portrayed him as being outsmarted (which he clearly was). He vowed to fight back and win and while people in the know already know this latest action doesn’t change much it appears on the face of the headline that he’s striking back as promised and taking control of the cities. So while the action is grasping at straws for sure if they think it will actually work to control development it is laying the groundwork for the PR campaign where he can claim he eliminated Disney’s cities they controlled. In politics it’s not always about actually winning but whether you can spin something as a win.

mmascari

Since most people only read the headlines
If we ignore all the substance and only look at headline generation. I would say Disney is better at generating the headlines they want than Ron. I think that they haven't done much yet is more about timing than anything else.

it is laying the groundwork for the PR campaign where he can claim he eliminated Disney’s cities they controlled. In politics it’s not always about actually winning but whether you can spin something as a win.
Unless Disney flips the story again, causing those headlines to backfire.

The other thing about politics is timing. Peaking to early or to late are both problems.

I personally think Disney should have fought the first battle to end all battles. The Ender's Game strategy. For whatever reason, Disney has not chosen this path, which perplexes me. They may be looking at the timing and trying to peak later, closer to November 2024. That's the only thing I can think of. I think this exposes them to all kinds of risk in the interim.

DisneyHead123

If we ignore all the substance and only look at headline generation. I would say Disney is better at generating the headlines they want than Ron. I think that they haven't done much yet is more about timing than anything else.

Unless Disney flips the story again, causing those headlines to backfire.

The other thing about politics is timing. Peaking to early or to late are both problems.

I personally think Disney should have fought the first battle to end all battles. The Ender's Game strategy. For whatever reason, Disney has not chosen this path, which perplexes me. They may be looking at the timing and trying to peak later, closer to November 2024. That's the only thing I can think of. I think this exposes them to all kinds of risk in the interim.
They’re walking a tightrope, I think. I know there’s the saying that no publicity is bad publicity, but I don’t think that applies to culture wars. People just scanning headlines might assume they’re “anti GOP”… and like it or not, that’s many people not buying Mickey Mouse tee shirts, mugs, Disney+, etc. In politics, “winning” is about defeating your opponent. In business, it’s about collecting the most dosh possible, which means not alienating potential customers if possible. Notice Iger has been using Republican centric language like “anti business”.

Of course the flip side of the coin is that DeSantis probably has to be a bit careful in dealing with such a huge employer and example of business success. When push comes to shove states still rely on the revenue that businesses bring to their states. I imagine it’s a bit of a tightrope for both sides.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think from the get go Disney has prioritized the idea of not spooking the market. Downplay any disruption.

That fits exactly what Iger did when he came in.. and the PR since. Project continuity, business as usual, and keep from being seen as lining up for battle. Given the huge market pressure they were facing to the business as a whole -- this makes sense.

But behind the scenes and in the trenches, be lining up your plans and options. Obviously they've been doing that too.

Like I said from the start... Disney being on the front line of a fight like this isn't their most desirable option. They had plenty of other entities in front of them that could be having that fight on their behalf.

StaceyH_SD

I haven’t posted here in ages but I made it through this thread (finally!) yesterday so here I am.

I think Disney is just biding their time. Doing what they need to behind the scenes. And waiting to see what the board and DeSantis and the legislature attempt to do next.

DeSantis is going to keep this going for as long as he thinks it’s working for him. But also apparently he holds grudges and he sounds increasingly irrational so he may not drop it even when it doesn’t go well for him.

I’m interested to see what, if anything, comes out of the CFTOD meeting of any significance next week.

And I wonder what DeSantis and the legislature might try to do before Disney’s quarterly meeting on May 10.

Kamikaze

I haven’t posted here in ages but I made it through this thread (finally!) yesterday so here I am.

I think Disney is just biding their time. Doing what they need to behind the scenes. And waiting to see what the board and DeSantis and the legislature attempt to do next.

DeSantis is going to keep this going for as long as he thinks it’s working for him. But also apparently he holds grudges and he sounds increasingly irrational so he may not drop it even when it doesn’t go well for him.

I’m interested to see what, if anything, comes out of the CFTOD meeting of any significance next week.

And I wonder what DeSantis and the legislature might try to do before Disney’s quarterly meeting on May 10.
You say that like they have any clue that Disney has a report on that date.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sad but true. It’s actually possible that if he is not the candidate for POTUS (which is looking more and more likely each day) that he will be more of a thorn in Disney’s side for 3.5 more years. He will be a lame duck Governor and based on his personality likely very bitter and looking to lash out at someone. He will most likely at least partially blame Disney for his downward spiral. The only question is will the legislature play along? At some point they need to realize that hurting your top employer and the catalyst for one of your most important industries is just plain bad for the state.

Kamikaze

Sad but true. It’s actually possible that if he is not the candidate for POTUS (which is looking more and more likely each day) that he will be more of a thorn in Disney’s side for 3.5 more years. He will be a lame duck Governor and based on his personality likely very bitter and looking to lash out at someone. He will most likely at least partially blame Disney for his downward spiral. The only question is will the legislature play along? At some point they need to realize that hurting your top employer and the catalyst for one of your most important industries is just plain bad for the state.
Florida law says he cannot run for President and remain governor. So if/when he declares, he's gone. Unless they try to change the law, which is a possibility they've discussed, but probably wouldn't hold up if challenged.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Florida law says he cannot run for President and remain governor. So if/when he declares, he's gone. Unless they try to change the law, which is a possibility they've discussed, but probably wouldn't hold up if challenged.
If he runs the legislature will change the law and I don’t see why it wouldn’t hold up. As I understand it that particular law in the state has been changed multiple times in the past already. I think he should step down if he’s running since he won’t have the time to dedicate to the needs of the state but nothing I know of him indicates he actually will.

TehPuddingMan

Florida has made exemptions multiple times for politicians to run for higher office while still serving. It’s nothing new.

Brian

All I've got to say is: Disney better learn how to play nice [edit: again] with the GOP in Florida.

And yes, the Florida GOP needs to learn how to play nice with Disney, too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom