News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was able to skim it - basically says that Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake can't override the district's planning authority, disbands the separate planning board and makes the Board of Supervisors the ultimate planning authority with no recourse to appeal, and reduces the requirement for notice to 1 simultaneous public hearing and reading.

That will be challenged. You cannot deny property owners the right to appeal planning board decisions. 🤦🏻‍♀️

flynnibus

Premium Member
and makes the Board of Supervisors the ultimate planning authority with no recourse to appeal, and reduces the requirement for notice to 1 simultaneous public hearing and reading
I don't see where you get these last two statements. The whereas statement about one reading isn't redefining the land development regulations... nor do I see any changes about appeals.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For all the questions about pools. They have 4 inspections per year from RCID inspectors
Here is the info from RCID
well interesting! "Facilities with Pools – The District is responsible for Department of Health swimming pool inspections and Operating Certificate renewals. The following information outlines pertinent information for owners about the Pool Inspection Program"

So the district was performing the role of the county health dept inspectors. Probably an area not covered by Disney's lock up deal so they are probably trying to strip those possibilities back?

drnilescrane

I don't see where you get these last two statements. The whereas statement about one reading isn't redefining the land development regulations... nor do I see any changes about appeals.

Section 7-30:

When the Board of Supervisors makes a decision pursuant to the duties of the Planning Board as set forth in these Land Development Regulations, the BoS are the final decision making authority for the District and no further administrative appeal is available. The BoS may act concurrently as the LPA and the governing body when considering matters.

Normally you'd submit to the planning board, and appeal to the BoS if you think the decision needs to be reviewed.

I think I misinterpreted the passage on the one reading/hearing (since I'm trying to read 7 point font) - I think it just means that the Board can act simultaneously as the planning authority and the governing board when giving public notice.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Section 7-30:

Normally you'd submit to the planning board, and appeal to the BoS if you think the decision needs to be reviewed.

I think I misinterpreted the passage on the one reading/hearing (since I'm trying to read 7 point font) - I think it just means that the Board can act simultaneously as the planning authority and the governing board when giving public notice.
ah... I was missing a page... didn't show up right when my browser was zoomed in to read these images.. so missed a whole page.

Disstevefan1

Shocked Rebecca Wisocky GIF by CBS

Finding out Ron DeSantis had a Disney wedding.
Is this true???

mmascari

Yeah, IANAL so I really can't comment on what this means but it's the internet so I'm going to do it anyway.
Tis the Internet, what else would be expected.

My guess this is the wheels turning on Plan A - strip all the power out of the bureaucracy of Reedy Creek and circumvent the cities. Put it in the board so they can actively stymie development.
That solves any problems about needing to pressure someone to act a certain way. If the board is directly responsible, no pressure needed.

Plan B would be the board voting to tear up the old agreement, change the planning rules anyway, and sit back and wait for Disney to sue. Which is what they want.
The current "game" does seem to be "who can make the other party sue them first". Both sides appear to want to be the defendant in a lawsuit instead of the plaintiff.

Will the new board sue that the Disney agreement isn't lawful?
Will Disney sue that the new district is violating the contract?
Will Disney follow the contract and ignore the new board actions that contradict it, forcing the board to sue?
At some point, they'll both be ignoring each other and one of them will need to sue the other over a violation. Any odds on who blinks first?

lazyboy97o

Tis the Internet, what else would be expected.

That solves any problems about needing to pressure someone to act a certain way. If the board is directly responsible, no pressure needed.

The current "game" does seem to be "who can make the other party sue them first". Both sides appear to want to be the defendant in a lawsuit instead of the plaintiff.

Will the new board sue that the Disney agreement isn't lawful?
Will Disney sue that the new district is violating the contract?
Will Disney follow the contract and ignore the new board actions that contradict it, forcing the board to sue?
At some point, they'll both be ignoring each other and one of them will need to sue the other over a violation. Any odds on who blinks first?
Disney still has to get the District’s permission to build.

mmascari

Disney still has to get the District’s permission to build.
That's probably where something will get interesting.

Something where Disney files a really boring building permit. Something small enough that it's virtually impossible to be denied or have issues found with it. Then, the board denies it anyway as an act of control and just for "reasons".

At that point, Disney could file updates and revisions to satisfy whatever reasons and get it approved. Which, if the real reason is the board doesn't like some "woke" content will never be satisfied. Disney could sue, that the permit was denied when it shouldn't have been. Disney could just ignore it and build anyway, force the board to sue them to stop (or send in the sheriff to halt construction).

That last one is much harder than it sounds. With all kinds or liability and insurance repercussions.

If this was just two kids on the beach building sand castles and fighting about who was allowed to use the same 10 square feet of beach, it would be the last one. However, since it's actual real life, just ignoring that type of thing would be much harder with lots of poor side effects.

lazyboy97o

That's probably where something will get interesting.

Something where Disney files a really boring building permit. Something small enough that it's virtually impossible to be denied or have issues found with it. Then, the board denies it anyway as an act of control and just for "reasons".

At that point, Disney could file updates and revisions to satisfy whatever reasons and get it approved. Which, if the real reason is the board doesn't like some "woke" content will never be satisfied. Disney could sue, that the permit was denied when it shouldn't have been. Disney could just ignore it and build anyway, force the board to sue them to stop (or send in the sheriff to halt construction).

That last one is much harder than it sounds. With all kinds or liability and insurance repercussions.

If this was just two kids on the beach building sand castles and fighting about who was allowed to use the same 10 square feet of beach, it would be the last one. However, since it's actual real life, just ignoring that type of thing would be much harder with lots of poor side effects.
Building and zoning are two separate things. If the District takes the position that they are not bound by the agreement and now require development review then the building department can just reject the project for not having the required prerequisite approval. First though the processes need to be changed, if that is the plan.

drnilescrane

Building and zoning are two separate things. If the District takes the position that they are not bound by the agreement and now require development review then the building department can just reject the project for not having the required prerequisite approval. First though the processes need to be changed, if that is the plan.
It's also going be fun getting the district workforce on board with the new plan. It already sounds like staff aren't trying to do the new board any favors.

I wonder what the process is to get Classe out.

lazyboy97o

Does Universal or Seaworld need permission from an unelected board to get things done? I’m not sure how their one use works.
The building officials are not elected but the building codes are created by the state. Local amendments are created by local elected governments.

The Orange County Board of Zoning adjustment is appointed by elected officials, but not really involved in the parks because they’re planned developments that don’t generally need to seek zoning approval. The Orlando Municipal Planning Board is an advisory board but again, Universal Orlando Resort isn’t really dealing with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom